Established tank setup for 10 plus years lost cycle`

Cary Meredith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, long time member but back posting from awhile away. I have a 125 Gallon 300+ gallon system with Refugium and sump and deep sand bed, that seems to have lost it cycle. Yeah I neglected it for awhile my bad, fish are doing great, but corals and anemones aren't, I stopped adding anything and got myself back on track, after the neglect now. But curious how do you re-establish the nutrient cycle in an established tank, fish and most inverts are doing great. I don't want to rush things and kill everything but need to get things back to how they should be. Tank is a bit on the acidic side and is why I think fish are ok, the salinity is low and just starting to raise that slowly. I did order some bacteria to see if that works (MicroBacter7 - Complete Bioculture - Brightwell Aquatics) saw decent reviews. Anyway thanks in advance for your comments and help.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Microbactor 7 is a yes . How’s your alk mag cal pho’s nitrates ph temp etc and have you done a water change recently?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a system matures to old age I believe it starts to efficiently process nutrients
I have had similar issues where it doesn’t matter how heavy I feed . Even with little maintenance there seams to be a higher risk of nutrients bottoming out to zeros

I don’t believe the tank needs to be recycled but adding bacteria will never go wrong . But chances are it will lower nutrient levels lower if possible .

as long as there are fish producing ammonia , the end result has to be nitrates . There is no way around it .
That being said did you always maintain higher alkalinity levels ?

do you know what your other parameters are
Alkalinity , calcium , magnesium

can you confirm the nutrient levels are accurate by using another test kit ?

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
As a system matures to old age I believe it starts to efficiently process nutrients
I have had similar issues where it doesn’t matter how heavy I feed . Even with little maintenance there seams to be a higher risk of nutrients bottoming out to zeros

I don’t believe the tank needs to be recycled but adding bacteria will never go wrong . But chances are it will lower nutrient levels lower if possible .

as long as there are fish producing ammonia , the end result has to be nitrates . There is no way around it .

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

OP
OP
Cary Meredith

Cary Meredith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Buying new test kit tonight will be a few days
but I have lost corals and have some issues with that really thick algea

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My nitrates were high before the ignorance issue :p
lol Well, as said above, it likely isn't a need to be re-cycled, just a need to bring parameters back WNL (within normal limits).
I am no expert, however, I do agree on the new test kits and find where the biggest problem lies and go from there.
Looking forward to seeing you revive your tank!

OP
OP
Cary Meredith

Cary Meredith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think its possible to uncycle a tank just by neglecting it... if you mean processing ammonia.

lol Well, as said above, it likely isn't a need to be re-cycled, just a need to bring parameters back WNL (within normal limits).
I am no expert, however, I do agree on the new test kits and find where the biggest problem lies and go from there.
Looking forward to seeing you revive your tank!
but why isn't ammonia being converted to nitrates and then nitrites shouldn't my nitrites be sky high?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but why isn't ammonia being converted to nitrates and then nitrites shouldn't my nitrites be sky high?

It is Ammonia > nitrites > nitrates.

nitrites should be 0

Nitrates will be high or low... sometimes these also get used up in old tanks.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I look at it the same way I look at people's bloodwork.
I can't look at old labs or use expired blood tubes and expect any answer to properly treat my patients.
If you don't know what your baseline labs (parameters) are, you don't know how to properly find and then treat the problem.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Certain enzymes and chemicals used in these things deteriorate over time. This causes a change in the chemical composition and will lead to inaccurate readings and less effective medications, or increased medication reactions.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 67 34.4%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back