OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What didn’t you have growing in the Fuge? That is probably why we are getting the 0!
Im assuming you mean what did i have growing in the fuge. I have chaeto and some other type of macroalgae. I got a chunk of it from my LFS for free so not too sure what the other one is.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think feeding 1/4 tsp of reef roids in my 34 gal tank twice a week is the issue?
Also, my hammer wasn't opening up a while before I started using reef roids so..
I would stop the flakes as your fish and inhabitants deserve better. Something like LRS nano is about 1000000 times better for all.

I am not saying this is related to your problems... more or less trying to prevent you from finding new problems later.

I have many thriving torches but can’t say I do anything special for them. They are under bright lighting, moderate flow, I do not feed any coral foods and po4 and no3 wax and wane. I feed the fish heavy with good healthy foods and dose 2 part and that’s about all I do.

Last edited:

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i just seen it your tank is 4 months old not nearly stable and diverse enough for some torches and corals for that matter some can tolerate it while others cant i would stick to soft corals for the first year then add cheap hammers first once they are growing and doing well then i would introduce a torch

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i just seen it your tank is 4 months old not nearly stable and diverse enough for some torches and corals for that matter some can tolerate it while others cant i would stick to soft corals for the first year then add cheap hammers first once they are growing and doing well then i would introduce a torch
How does the age of my tank have anything to do with what corals i can keep? I never got this point. If my tank is stable then I should be able to grow whatever I want right?. You have to keep in mind this torch was doing good for 3 whole months before dying suddenly, if it didn't like my tank conditions then surely it wouldn't have done well at the start. Also, I have a bag of Seachem rocks from a 2 year old tank and I have an ato and a good heater. So i would say it is stable and well established. In addition, I have a very good amount of pods in my refugium.

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stop the flakes as your fish and inhabitants deserve better. Something like LRS nano is about 1000000 times better for all.

I am not saying this is related to your problems... more or less trying to prevent you from finding new problems later.

I have many thriving torches but can’t say I do anything special for them. They are under bright lighting, moderate flow, I do not feed any coral foods and po4 and no3 wax and wane. I feed the fish heavy with good healthy foods and dose 2 part and that’s about all I do.
I will try to incorprate frozen food into my food soon hopefully. I need to sort out this issue I'm having right now first though. Thank you.

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know money is an issue, but look into grabbing a calcium test kit (Red Sea) and a magnesium kit (I like aqua forest for this). If your dkh is 8.6 I doubt your calcium is super low, but you never know. Those numbers may be off from where they should be (high or low) or maybe your magnesium is low which would make it difficult to bind the calcium and carbonate? Just throwing stuff out there.

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know money is an issue, but look into grabbing a calcium test kit (Red Sea) and a magnesium kit (I like aqua forest for this). If your dkh is 8.6 I doubt your calcium is super low, but you never know. Those numbers may be off from where they should be (high or low) or maybe your magnesium is low which would make it difficult to bind the calcium and carbonate? Just throwing stuff out there.
I think my best bet right now is either getting an RODI unit so I can do regular WCs because without a unit I have to go to the lfs to buy water. Other than that, I'm considering All For Reef by tropic marin. What do you think?

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stable paramaters does not mean biologicaly stable thats why you dont see many people adding sps to a brand new tank my tank was stable as it ever could be but i just couldnt keep certain corals. now that the tank is 5 years old i can keep whatever i throw in it

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stable paramaters does not mean biologicaly stable thats why you dont see many people adding sps to a brand new tank my tank was stable as it ever could be but i just couldnt keep certain corals. now that the tank is 5 years old i can keep whatever i throw in it
Interesting. This is the first time that I hear the term "biologically stable". Can you please elaborate on what that is exactly and how does one reach that form of stability? Thanks.

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to my understanding it happens over time and and with introduction of various bacterias i used to pour all the water i got from various frags in my tank and always would get a little sand from various tanks. the more diverse bacterias in your tank the healthier it will be

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to my understanding it happens over time and and with introduction of various bacterias i used to pour all the water i got from various frags in my tank and always would get a little sand from various tanks. the more diverse bacterias in your tank the healthier it will be
what does the bacterial biodiversity have to do with coral growth/survival though?

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stability food breakdown fish waste breakdown even there breathing byproducts without it everything would die same as here on earth if we had just air with no bacteria we would not be able to live

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back