Evo 13.5 - Mandarin Tank

icedearth15324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I know what you are all thinking. A 13.5 is way too small of a tank for mandarins, which I am aware of. Well I'm going to be using this tank as a temporary grow-out tank for a pair of captive-bred @Biota_Marine Mandarins before they make their way into my 100g display tank. I want to make sure they are properly eating, and growing before they go into my large tank.

Once the mandarins are larger and are moved, I will maintain this tank as a nano tank. So it is kind of a dual purpose tank.

Anyway, I've had the 13.5 sitting around for awhile, and decided to put it to good use. The tank has been running about three weeks now. I moved two small pieces of live rock from my main tank to help with the cycling process. Currently have some algae growing on the sand, but otherwise it's going good.

Mandarins will be ordered soon.

Current Equipment List:
-Fluval Evo 13.5 tank
-Stock Lighting
-Fluval M50 50-watt heater
-Sicce Syncra 0.5 pump
-Fluval CP2 powerhead
-inTank basket for chamber 1 with chemipure and a sponge
-AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite connected to my large reservoir for my display
-About 10 lbs of Caribsea Liferock

Stocking List
-Yellow Watchman Goby
-Pulsing Xenia (removed from display tank)
-Assorted frags

IMG_4587.JPEG

OP
OP
icedearth15324

icedearth15324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you plan on feeding them and how often?

The 13.5 is a great little tank, enjoy!
I'm going off what Biota has them eating. Plan is to give them some Masstick in the morning, and let them pick on that throughout the day. Then when I get home from work I will feed them a mix of Calanus, TDO pellets, and PE pellets until they are big enough to start eating mysis. If I discover they are finishing it all really quickly, I'll probably get an auto-feeder and go that route.

OP
OP
icedearth15324

icedearth15324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up moving my clownfish over for the time being. His mate jumped out a couple weeks ago and without her in the tank he hasn't been eating as much due to the larger fish out-competing with him for food.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going off what Biota has them eating. Plan is to give them some Masstick in the morning, and let them pick on that throughout the day. Then when I get home from work I will feed them a mix of Calanus, TDO pellets, and PE pellets until they are big enough to start eating mysis. If I discover they are finishing it all really quickly, I'll probably get an auto-feeder and go that route.
Pods from algeabarn. Build a population and there's your autofeeder. Mine will stir up the sand then eat the pods. It's fun to watch. He's been in a 30 for 2 years and I've never needed to provide additional food.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back