Excessive high Boron

adamsfour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently received my ICP test results and it again show Boron extremely high (64 vs recommended 4.5). I do water changes weekly (Instance ocean) and I do not dose with any PH buffer (another source I am told). So I am trying to figure out the source so I can get it under control. The first time I got the high results I was skeptical as all my other level (from ICP test results) are very close to being correct or a little low or a little high, which is understandable. But boron is so high clearly something is not right. So any clue on the source and is there any way to lower it. It doesn't appear water changes help.

OP
OP
A

adamsfour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Dos calcium, magnesium, alkaline. Also iodine and potassium. I find it hard to believe instance ocean would sell a product that elevates any element 10 times normal.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you stir your salt before you mix it ?> and I stopped using IO a Loooooong time ago , got flamed for it and the resluts I got which made me stop using it , and years later on the same forum people keep having the same issues because fanboys tried to spike the punch with dis info and flame the people who brought it up ( me).... It has more to do with Dkh and other very serious problems, which people tried to justify saying you can grow coral @11- 14 dkh ......Lol switch salts and mix well before using . I would not use IO for anything other than a fowlr if that . I think its one the main reasons people couldnt keep coral well in the beginning when this was the only salt you could get.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Dos calcium, magnesium, alkaline. Also iodine and potassium. I find it hard to believe instance ocean would sell a product that elevates any element 10 times normal.

Your calcium or magnesium dosing may included some trace elements. I’d take a look at the bottles.

OP
OP
A

adamsfour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I mix my saltwater well before I add it. I appreciate the recommendation and may try and switch salt. But as I stated it virtually impossible to believe IO is the source as I would assume other would also be complaining

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

what brand of alkalinity? That can be a source. Some contain borate.

which icp company? I do not have confidence in them all.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I mix my saltwater well before I add it. I appreciate the recommendation and may try and switch salt. But as I stated it virtually impossible to believe IO is the source as I would assume other would also be complaining

I agree IO isn’t the source unless it is a bad batch, which is rare.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you stir your salt before you mix it ?> and I stopped using IO a Loooooong time ago , got flamed for it and the resluts I got which made me stop using it , and years later on the same forum people keep having the same issues because fanboys tried to spike the punch with dis info and flame the people who brought it up ( me).... It has more to do with Dkh and other very serious problems, which people tried to justify saying you can grow coral @11- 14 dkh ......Lol switch salts and mix well before using . I would not use IO for anything other than a fowlr if that . I think its one the main reasons people couldnt keep coral well in the beginning when this was the only salt you could get.

Quite an extreme opinion, that I don’t agree with.

in the old days it was actually SeaChem salt mix that intentionally had crazy high boron.

OP
OP
A

adamsfour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree IO isn’t the source unless it is a bad batch, which is rare.
My alkalinity solution is Seachem Reef Carbonate. I was looking at another forum and they actually mentioned something I had not considered. I mix my salt water in a 55 Gallon tank. Been using the same tank now over 3.5 years and never clearned. Looking at the bottom of the tank it look pretty grungy. I am wondering if that is actually the source. Years of buildup of IO salt residue is throwing off the trace elements concentration. Even if it not the source its something something that certainly needs to be dealt with.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

in the old days it was actually SeaChem salt mix that intentionally had crazy high boron.
I was referring to the Dkh and general inconsistency I got with it. Not the Boron specifically that seems like a batch issue the OP has of something. Hope that clears things up , and again I am speaking from personal preference and keeping the tanks I keep , people have all sorts of ideas as to what works for them within range I agree but some people go to extremes

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was referring to IO 's Dkh which is well talked about at this point, also its inconsistency of mixing for me. It was not ideal for me and my tanks ./ corals . I agree its a batch issue with something hes adding and a 2 part would have to WAY off to have that much boron , most have such low amounts its pointing to the IO batch

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alkalinity solution is Seachem Reef Carbonate. I was looking at another forum and they actually mentioned something I had not considered. I mix my salt water in a 55 Gallon tank. Been using the same tank now over 3.5 years and never clearned. Looking at the bottom of the tank it look pretty grungy. I am wondering if that is actually the source. Years of buildup of IO salt residue is throwing off the trace elements concentration. Even if it not the source its something something that certainly needs to be dealt with.

No, the precipitate is not a source of borate. I let mine accumulate for years and do not consider these solids to be of any concern.

Seachem reef carbonate should be OK. Seachem marine Buffer as an alk supplement is not due to excessive borate.

I would not simply assume the B value is correct. It may be an error.

What is the alk of new IO salt water for you? That much boron as borate will push alk unusually high.

64 ppm boron is 6 meq/L.

At pH 8.2, that would be contributing about 1.8 meq/L or 5 dKH to the total alkalinity.

OP
OP
A

adamsfour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk was about 10dkh which is close to what is expected using IO. I think I am going to purchase a Boron test kit as I too am suspect of the results.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk was about 10dkh which is close to what is expected using IO. I think I am going to purchase a Boron test kit as I too am suspect of the results.

I'm not convinced of the reliability of some of them. I had some issues with Seachem accuracy when i tested it years ago. Maybe they fixed it since then. Salifert was OK, but not perfect.

OP
OP
A

adamsfour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went ahead and got a boron test kit and the results were consistent with ISP. I also test my unused salt water and it was within range. So something is causing boron level in tank to be very high. Any know If there is such thing as a boron filter.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went ahead and got a boron test kit and the results were consistent with ISP. I also test my unused salt water and it was within range. So something is causing boron level in tank to be very high. Any know If there is such thing as a boron filter.

There isn’t that I have heard of.

I would just ignore it except recognize that the carbonate alk may be a lot lower then you measure. It should decline with regular water changes if you do not add any.

OP
OP
A

adamsfour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to assume that something I am adding is causing the Boron levels. I just don't have a clue what. I have read a number of articles and nothing points me in the right direction.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back