Expensive Fish Prices!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xler8n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i went to my LFS today that ive been going to for years. I wanted to order a specific fish so the owner gave me his wholesale list that he orders from and thats when i saw it. I never knew how much fish are marked up once they get to our LFS. Helfrichi firefish for $29.99 retail: $99. Blue Spot Jawfish for $39.99 retail: $110. Mystery Wrasse for $39.99 retail: $110. Purple Tang $59.99 retail: $150 - $200.. Outragous. Makes me wanna stop buying fish the mark up is so sick. I know they have to pay for freight but still. These fish are marked up 60% or more!!

reefsandrotts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
its not messed up,take into conideration the following:
Rent
Electric
Maintnance
Insurance
Employees
Food/additives
Cost of dead loss,most wholesalers wont cover any on average the store makes about 15% of the retail price I dont think thats too much to ask for.

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
huh? that's roughly a triple mark- that's considered normal by most all small business's. If you want the lower mark-ups, go to box stores like Wal-mart, Petsmart, etc. Or besides freight, do you also begrudge them paying for a store, electricity, staff, and god-forbid, some profit for their work at the end of the day?

engineeronh2o

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However, if you sold them for double mark up, you would probably sell 3-4 times as much. Those prices aren't that bad though. Here locally, yellow tangs cost $50 and Powder Blues are $90. Look at the prices compared to online prices. The prices you listed are reasonable. If you don't like the prices, buy online.....but you are not going to find much better prices.

Madreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You forgot how many fish that owner loses before he can sell, the tanks they go in, the rent for the space, the employee(s). There's a lot of overhead involved. There's a reasion lfs owners don't roll around in a Benz! They hardly make any money and in most cases they are just doing it for the love of the hobby just like their customers. Don't bash your lfs! Without them you'd be pretty SOL.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really dont think we need to be going over wholesale pricing in a public fourm which has sponsors who buy and sell these fish.

Thread Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back