Experimenting with bare bottom and dry rock

DriftN201

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 24 gallon nanocube and this will be my third build with it over the years. This is my first bare bottom and first time doing 100% dry rock. I haven’t seen much advice for this method other than the vague “go slow” so I decided to document my progress. I am curious if I increase bottled bacteria and use Marine Pure if I can create a stable tank a little faster. I am using abs on the bottom and the rock was completely bleached out before use. To add surface area I decided to use 1 gallon of Marine Pure bio balls to the back chamber. I started the tank with a pair of clown fish and a bottle of Dr. Tim’s. After four weeks I turned on the lights for about 3 hours a day and added a few frags of zoas. The zoas were all dipped and I added some Microbacter XLM. I turned on the lights for 8 hours a day and after another week I started my dirty period with some common diatoms and green algae. I am currently using vibrant to keep algae to a minimum. I have a few theories to make the bare bottom and dry rock a success but I am open to ideas or criticism.

Dose more bottled bacteria. Since I have no live rock, I am going to need as much beneficial bacterial and algae as possible. I will likely add Microbacter 7 soon.

Use Marine Pure. This will add back the surface area that I am missing from having no sand.

Feed slowly. Bad algae, bacteria, aptasia etc grow faster than beneficial algae or bacteria. Any increase in nutrients will cause pest population to explode before beneficial bacteria can use it.

895C88AE-E1F7-4012-A085-AAB2A99452E3.jpeg

OP
OP
D

DriftN201

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about 9 weeks in now and the tank is looking great. I now have 2 clowns, a royal gramma and medium size CUC. I am still dosing Vibrant twice a week and I started adding Microbacter 7. My diatoms are almost entirely gone but I have some green algae coming in. I also have some hair algae but for being a bare bottom and 100% dry rock, I am very happy with the tank. I am starting to see some coraline coming and I just ordered some acans and some rock flower anemones. I am very excited to add them to the tank.

0817202102b.jpg 0817202101b.jpg 0817202102a.jpg

Roytrolls247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about 9 weeks in now and the tank is looking great. I now have 2 clowns, a royal gramma and medium size CUC. I am still dosing Vibrant twice a week and I started adding Microbacter 7. My diatoms are almost entirely gone but I have some green algae coming in. I also have some hair algae but for being a bare bottom and 100% dry rock, I am very happy with the tank. I am starting to see some coraline coming and I just ordered some acans and some rock flower anemones. I am very excited to add them to the tank.

0817202102b.jpg 0817202101b.jpg 0817202102a.jpg
Nice build!!! Did you do anything "Special" for the Coraline to grow?

OP
OP
D

DriftN201

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build!!! Did you do anything "Special" for the Coraline to grow?
Thanks. I didn't do anything at all. Just got a few snails that had coraline on them and made sure calcium and alk were stable. I will have to post an update soon, corals are all doing far better than expected even some acros are showing growth

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back