Extremely Shy Sunburst Anthers

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a sunburst anthias in QT for about ten days now and it might be the shyest fish I've ever had. It stays in the same spot day and night and hasn't ate much besides live brine. Maybe it eats when I leave but I'm not sure. It still has good color and actively swims around if I disturb the rocks so I think he is still healthy. Anything I can do to make this guy feel more comfortable?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Post a pic of the QT, let's see what the hiding spot situation is like.

It's probably just freaked out. Try dimming the lights and/or shading the part of the tank it hides in to help it feel slightly more secure, and make sure there isn't a lot of thumping and noise going on outside the tank that could scare it.

OP
OP
B

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a basic 20 gallon all to himself. No other fish. Long cycled reef rock from sump

Attachments

• IMG_6966.jpeg
    IMG_6966.jpeg
    232.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6965.jpeg
    IMG_6965.jpeg
    239.8 KB · Views: 43
OP
OP
B

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He just kinda grabs brine shrimp as they float by. Doesn’t really leave his spot for it. Not sure how this guy could survive in the dt

OP
OP
B

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Sunburst was very shy at first. Now he is all over. Keep up with the feeding.
What should I feed? It only likes live brine so far. just dumped the whole bag in and put some cyclops in there to try and gut load them.

OP
OP
B

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O
I weaned mine from live brine to frozen PE mysis shrimp. He won't eat flake or pellets
Okay thanks. The fish is now able to compete in the dt with more boisterous fish? How long before it was at least swimming out in the open?

OP
OP
B

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t mean to pester ya but it’s been two weeks now and I have yet to see this guy swim out in the open.

OP
OP
B

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure how this fish is still alive. Just hides in the same spot and haven’t seen it eat. Should I add to dt to try and provide a more natural environment? Might make it more comfortable is my thinking

OP
OP
B

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: never saw this guy eat besides lazily pick at live brine for nearly 2 months. Released him last week into the DT as a last ditch effort. Immediately got harassed by my tomini. Never saw him until last night and was actually out swimming, sort of defending his little cave. Threw in a bunch of frozen food and he ate like a pig. Doesn’t even look skinny so maybe he was eating when I wasn’t looking. I am beginning to think these guys do not fair well in QT unless you have a lot of rock for it to hide in.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back