Fallow period for Anemones

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wants a Toxic Colorado-to-Chicago Widow Space Hypo Toxic Sunburst Supernova Anemone. A bubble tip is a bubble tip is a bubble tip to me but happy wife happy life….

She *insists* that these special snowflakes will instantly become sick and die if forced to share a tank with their lesser sisters: the plebeian Rainbow BTA. Why? Because Facebook and a brief google search says it’s true.

So my two basic-***** bubble tips have been moved from my anemone tank back with their mother and sister in my main display so that her new anemone won’t have to consort with the common folk. I’m happy to announce that the stress caused one to split but they’re all doing find and well now.

So…I’m now left with a well established well lit tank with some sexy shrimp and rock flower/maxi mini anemones.

Assuming I believe that the Rainbow BTA’s all carry COVID and will spread it to the delicate snowflake anemones that people seem to give ridiculous names to and love, is 30 days long enough to confidently say I’ve cleared the vibe and evil spirits the Rainbow BTA’s left behind?

Thanks in advance,

S

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, lol, rinse and run some carbon a couple of days to be on safe side.
@Eagle_Steve @F i s h y ,just double check me,
OP is spending 10k on nems... ;) ;)

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for upfront honesty: the below is my experience, as others scream it should not and cannot be done.

I have RBTA (all kinds of funky named ones. Sherman and CSB for example), GBTA (all kinds here too), Haddoni, Gig, Mag, Merten, RFA, LTA, Sebae, curlyque, and NPS nems all in the same system. It is a large system tied into a Macro lagoon, but I also have a good mix in a 32 biocube of just random bubble tips.

I do not have any issues between any of the nems and never really have. I do run a ton of carbon with quite a bit of flow through it. But in the biocube, it is just an upgraded pump and carbon in a bag sitting in an intank media basket. That tank has no issues either. Even when I threw in a sherman split and a csb split to keep them from going down the overflow in the big tank setup.

I think, and again, just my opinion, the issue lies when people mix wild nems into the mix. Those nems get sick, pass it to the other nems and bad things happen. I cannot prove this, outside of adding a wild nem to a tank once seriously made my other nems look like crap (all BTAs of some sort). It was resolved by dosing the entire DT with cipro and about 2 weeks later, all was well again.

But if you are adding the "named" nems to a tank that had previously had plain ole RBTAs in it and want to be sure, just run some carbon for a few days if you feel that toxins may still be present. Cause nems do use a form of chemical warfare from time to time. I have just never had issues with it in my tanks.

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for upfront honesty: the below is my experience, as others scream it should not and cannot be done.

I have RBTA (all kinds of funky named ones. Sherman and CSB for example), GBTA (all kinds here too), Haddoni, Gig, Mag, Merten, RFA, LTA, Sebae, curlyque, and NPS nems all in the same system. It is a large system tied into a Macro lagoon, but I also have a good mix in a 32 biocube of just random bubble tips.

I do not have any issues between any of the nems and never really have. I do run a ton of carbon with quite a bit of flow through it. But in the biocube, it is just an upgraded pump and carbon in a bag sitting in an intank media basket. That tank has no issues either. Even when I threw in a sherman split and a csb split to keep them from going down the overflow in the big tank setup.

I think, and again, just my opinion, the issue lies when people mix wild nems into the mix. Those nems get sick, pass it to the other nems and bad things happen. I cannot prove this, outside of adding a wild nem to a tank once seriously made my other nems look like crap (all BTAs of some sort). It was resolved by dosing the entire DT with cipro and about 2 weeks later, all was well again.

But if you are adding the "named" nems to a tank that had previously had plain ole RBTAs in it and want to be sure, just run some carbon for a few days if you feel that toxins may still be present. Cause nems do use a form of chemical warfare from time to time. I have just never had issues with it in my tanks.
I have as well. I had what hobbyists would consider 3-4 different types of BTA in a 40 with no issues. Granted none of them were $800 ( I think the black widow was maybe $400) with something with the word flare in it, a Sherman, and a rainbow.

she just keeps insisting it has to be by itself so if I’m going to perform voodoo or pseudoscience, I want to make sure I get the proverbial incantations and ingredients right.

I dropped the carbon in last week so I’m ahead
on that.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have as well. I had what hobbyists would consider 3-4 different types of BTA in a 40 with no issues. Granted none of them were $800 ( I think the black widow was maybe $400) with something with the word flare in it, a Sherman, and a rainbow.

she just keeps insisting it has to be by itself so if I’m going to perform voodoo or pseudoscience, I want to make sure I get the proverbial incantations and ingredients right.

I dropped the carbon in last week so I’m ahead
on that.
I hear ya. Happy wife is happy life lol.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back