Fallow tank coral

Daniel25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys I recently had a outbreak of marine ich which unfortunately killed all my fish my tank is now sitting fallow for 47 days but I am just wondering would it be okay for me to add some coral fragments to the tank so that they grow in the mean time,
Thanks in advance
Dan

OP
OP
Daniel25

Daniel25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are treating the tank with anything or plan on doing so, then no you cant. If you wont add any treatments then I am pretty sure it is ok to add corals.
Can I speed up the fallow process by treating the fishless tank? If not I won't bother treating and start adding corals

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I speed up the fallow process by treating the fishless tank? If not I won't bother treating and start adding corals
There is no treatment that will kill the ich that hasn't hatched yet. you can add coral frags to the tank and it will have no effect on the coral, but you risk the coral frags having ich attached to them and would need to quarantine the frags for 52 days to be safe.

OP
OP
Daniel25

Daniel25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no treatment that will kill the ich that hasn't hatched yet. you can add coral frags to the tank and it will have no effect on the coral, but you risk the coral frags having ich attached to them and would need to quarantine the frags for 52 days to be safe.
I can get reef safe treatment here in Ireland (esha oodinex) but not sure if that is good at killing ich... So it would be advised to leave the ich die off first?

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can get reef safe treatment here in Ireland (esha oodinex) but not sure if that is good at killing ich... So it would be advised to leave the ich die off first?
Ich does not have any effect on corals. As long as those frags you are getting will not add more ich to your tank, then youre good to get some corals.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never used it but it still will only kill the free swimming ich, not the ich waiting to hatch. Only way to kill everything and not go fallow is to run bleach for 2 days. But this will bleach your rocks. Humblefish has a thread on how to do that. It will also kill all your bacteria and you would need to cycle the tank again.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back