fallow tank

mere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are running a fallow tank due to a virus/bacteria how long do you run it what temp do you remove snails and keep up water changes does the lightig change any more infowould be helpful and how succses full is it when you re stock thank you

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi mere, I have actually never run a fallow tank. However, can you post a FTS so we can see your whole tank? That way, we might be able to give you some ideas where to improve the conditions in the tank.

I also would continue water changes and husbandry just as though the ponies were in the tank. After each water change I would add seachem stability or a probiotic like Sanolife mic-F to out compete the pathogenic bacteria.

I personally would leave the temperature the same. I would remove the snails when you think they have nothing to eat in the tank, although you could lightly feed them since you are keeping up with husbandry and water changes.

Last edited:

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked back at your question about nitrates and coral. I confess that I do not test my nitrates because that will not tell me what I need to know to keep healthy seahorses.

Also, I never keep coral that need to be fed to stay healthy in a seahorse tank. If you are feeding coral there is too much chance that you will be feeding pathogenic bacteria too.

Seahorses need to be the animal that is the priority. Anything else in the tank has to be secondary as far as its needs go. I only keep other animals that can exist when all the seahorse's needs are being met competely.

OP
OP
M

mere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked back at your question about nitrates and coral. I confess that I do not test my nitrates because that will not tell me what I need to know to keep healthy seahorses.

Also, I never keep coral that need to be fed to stay healthy in a seahorse tank. If you are feeding coral there is too much chance that you will be feeding pathogenic bacteria too.

Seahorses need to be the animal that is the priority. Anything else in the tank has to be secondary as far as its needs go. I only keep other animals that can exist when all the seahorse's needs are being met competely.
my ponies are the priority i check nitrates because ocean ryder said hey need to be under 20 (i evean check the oxygen leveal i test everything i can i want it to be perfect) which is not happening the coral are leather i dont feed i was trying to fugure out why one dyed i am hwart broken with distress over all this all the books i read said the standered 10% water change a week then i read your actica (i think it was yours) and uped the water changes to 2 10% water changes a week but then had problems and you had mentioned you do 3 10%wc so i uped it again along with moving the live rock to the sump and 3 times daiyl vaccuming i use a feeding dish the other fish were a pipefish and firefish i dont know how to post pictures or even up load to a computer its a stander 120 with about 8 leather type coral which i move and vaccum around there is a 40g sump with all the live rock i want to save the ponies i will do anything to save help them even pay someone if that was apossibility i have listen to you and the others and have implamented things that would help you guys are the experts

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my ponies are the priority i check nitrates because ocean ryder said hey need to be under 20 (i evean check the oxygen leveal i test everything i can i want it to be perfect) which is not happening the coral are leather i dont feed i was trying to fugure out why one dyed i am hwart broken with distress over all this all the books i read said the standered 10% water change a week then i read your actica (i think it was yours) and uped the water changes to 2 10% water changes a week but then had problems and you had mentioned you do 3 10%wc so i uped it again along with moving the live rock to the sump and 3 times daiyl vaccuming i use a feeding dish the other fish were a pipefish and firefish i dont know how to post pictures or even up load to a computer its a stander 120 with about 8 leather type coral which i move and vaccum around there is a 40g sump with all the live rock i want to save the ponies i will do anything to save help them even pay someone if that was apossibility i have listen to you and the others and have implamented things that would help you guys are the experts
I am sorry mere if I came across sounding like you are not taking care of the seahorses as a priority. I did not mean to imply that at all.

I can tell from your many posts that you are doing all you can to save them and to get their tank to be a healthy enviroment. I applaud you because I know it requires a lot of work. I also know how stressful it is. Hang in there my friend.

Without photos of your tank it is going to be difficult for me to see if there are areas prone to collecting debris. However if you keep up your maintenance in the tank without ponies, the water quality is bound to be much improved in 2-3 weeks. The water changes will be lowering the DOC and also the bacteria count should go down if there isn't anything to keep feeding the bacteria. Adding a probiotic or even just seachem stability will help establish good bacterias instead of pathogenic bacteria.

It is possible that your coral were indeed reacting to cleaner water. As a rule coral do not like changes so keep an eye on them as you continue to maintenance the tank. I can not remember if your fish are in QT also. If they are not sick it might be best to keep them in the display tank to produce a small steady bioload for the coral.

How are the seahorses doing in the QT? Are they eating ok?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also like to say that I am definitely not an expert and I have learned the hard way in regards to seahorses. I know how you are feeling because I too have felt desperate to fix whatever was going wrong in my tank when I lost seahorses to sickness. I know the heart break of it.

What I have learned is it is a lot easier to keep seahorses healthy than to fix things when they are sick. Hopefully we can get your ponies back on the road to good health.

OP
OP
M

mere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry mere if I came across sounding like you are not taking care of the seahorses as a priority. I did not mean to imply that at all.

I can tell from your many posts that you are doing all you can to save them and to get their tank to be a healthy enviroment. I applaud you because I know it requires a lot of work. I also know how stressful it is. Hang in there my friend.

Without photos of your tank it is going to be difficult for me to see if there are areas prone to collecting debris. However if you keep up your maintenance in the tank without ponies, the water quality is bound to be much improved in 2-3 weeks. The water changes will be lowering the DOC and also the bacteria count should go down if there isn't anything to keep feeding the bacteria. Adding a probiotic or even just seachem stability will help establish good bacterias instead of pathogenic bacteria.

It is possible that your coral were indeed reacting to cleaner water. As a rule coral do not like changes so keep an eye on them as you continue to maintenance the tank. I can not remember if your fish are in QT also. If they are not sick it might be best to keep them in the display tank to produce a small steady bioload for the coral.

How are the seahorses doing in the QT? Are they eating ok?
oh thank you for replying i did not mean to sound harsh i am just so beside myself i am doing everything i can think of i cernanlty dont mind doing all the work to help them i need them i never thought i could love a fish as much as i love these little guys (my son is feeling second right now as they are consuming everything) i did 10 days of furan 2 bath and i still lost one on the 11th day i am planning to give them a few days break then fed kanaplex in their food any other advise is so welcome as for the tank i have three power heads at the bak pointed to the front on each end at the surface pointed to middle of tank pluse the return from the sump i have a filter sock to catch anything from going into the sump (change it every other day) there is no live rock other than a few small holding the few leaters i boot them around to vaccum i add fluvel biolggical inhancer every water change i dont know where or what some good probiodic would be or where to get them i am sorry that i am hurting the beloved poines i am really try to do my best when my husband gets out of camp maby he can help me figure out how to post pictures thank you again for all your help and i promise you with my life i am really fighting for these pomies

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back