FarmerTy's 215-gallon SPS Tank

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank updates:
1) The tank equivalent of leg day at the gym... Swapped out old bulbs.
0314191407.jpg

2) Added a Avast Marine Spyglass reactor XL and run both ROX carbon and GFO in it together. It's nice being able to ditch two terrible reactors for one good one that can run both media. For those curious, ideally you don't want carbon to tumble due to it releasing dust but if you use ROX carbon which is super hard and mix if with GFO in a true fluidized reactor like the Spyglass, it's perfect and I haven't had any issues with dust so far. Highly recommend it. Its easy to swap media too... Just pull the top portion off, leave the pump running, dump the old media out, rinse, add new media, put back on reactor body, put on rinse cap, rinse GFO into a bucket, and swap back to the normal cap and you're done. No lid to unscrew or thumbscrews either... No tubing to mess with too!

3) Still waiting for time to swap out to external skimmer, new larger return pump, rebuild manifold, and add the larger CaRX with peristaltic pump.

4) Oh, I'll be 38 lbs heavier by next week.
Capture+_2019-03-14-15-55-41.png

5) Went ahead and ordered the new gyres. My old ones were a bit noiser than I like for the display and just a tad less power than I want as well. Went with the new XF350s... Supposedly quieter, just a hair more power, and hopefully the cover on top helps prevent algae growth too. I'll move the two XF250s to the two frag tanks and use them in there instead for much better flow in the frag tanks.

6) High pH still going strong with 8.1 low and 8.5 highs. Not sure if I see faster growth yet but its only been 1-2 weeks.
Do you swap all bulbs out at once? I've always staggered. If so do you reduce photoperiod temporarily to compensate or anything?

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you swap all bulbs out at once? I've always staggered. If so do you reduce photoperiod temporarily to compensate or anything?
I replace all at once. My fixture is on an adjustable height hanger... So I just pull it up a few inches and then slowly raise it back down over time.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That top cover on those is nice. The thing I hate about my gyre is how it sometimes sucks air from the surface. I assume those covers prevent that?
I'm hoping so. I got them because they are supposed to be quieter, have the top cover to prevent sucking in air, and also that top cover well hopefully prevent as much algae from growing on the tops.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping so. I got them because they are supposed to be quieter, have the top cover to prevent sucking in air, and also that top cover well hopefully prevent as much algae from growing on the tops.
Definitely quieter, Still seems to suck air depending on placement and mode/intensity. The cover is mainly for preventing algae and directing the flow. The new XF350's can get some serious flow going. I had to pull mine out of my new build. It was too much flow even at 30%.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Friday!

Unnamed (previously misidentified Rainbow Blossum)
acros (4 of 13).jpg

Vivid Aquariums Rainbow - classic piece and classic coloring under full spectrum
acros (5 of 13).jpg

Strawberry shortcake (microclados) - its much brighter in person but I struggle to take good pics of it as it is pretty low in the tank.
acros (7 of 13).jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back