Favia Trimming?

BitReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a spicy lemonade favia that is growing really well but encroaching on a birdsnest coral. Is it possible to cut/frag the favia that is near the birdsnest? Maybe with a scalpel?

CD6203A3-A9D9-4C72-9EB9-BEBDFCA45364.jpeg

OP
OP
BitReef

BitReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I am worried about butchering it. I’ve thought about trying to move the whole birdsnest over (not 100% sure it’s birdsnest). I’m not sure if I can do that without breaking it to pieces.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same favia. Grows like a weed. Tried cutting with a scalpel which worked. But then I couldn’t remove the cut piece, so just left it. Will see what happens. It’s in a favia garden but I know they all don’t play nice. Encrusters are really on there.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is encrusted on the rock, I don’t know how you could cut it, but if it is not, you could probably cut it with a bandsaw. Also, that’s a favites, not a favia.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is encrusted on the rock, I don’t know how you could cut it, but if it is not, you could probably cut it with a bandsaw. Also, that’s a favites, not a favia.
Cut the flesh down to the rock. Then tried using tweezers to pull off the cut piece, no joy. Favites, OK. Will see how it plays with the others I have.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dremel took with a diamond blade will cut it like a hot knife through butter.
Bone cutter will cut it easily.
If I could take the rock it’s on out of the tank would not be a problem. But rock can’t come out so that’s the issue.

OP
OP
BitReef

BitReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I wasn’t aware of the difference between a favia and favites.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I wasn’t aware of the difference between a favia and favites.
Favias actually don’t exist in the hobby. There was a recent reclassification that limited to the Atlantic, where no stony corals are collected. Most favias are either in the genera dipsastraea, favites, goniastrea, and coelastrea.

OP
OP
BitReef

BitReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought it would be fun to update this thread with coral growth since June. I traded the birdsnest that was growing on the right side because it was getting too big.

E41D9F0F-88C0-44F8-9A5F-354680E9EBE2.jpeg

Back