Fear of judgement?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Does anyone else get scared to ask certain questions about problems they are facing because of the fear of judgement?
there should never be any Intimidation while a few impose that . . . . should never be an issue on any forum but it exists on many forums - not just reefing.
No excuse for bullying and insults and too many feel its ok - was never like this

Last edited:
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just don't ask if your clowns are "acting normal" :face-with-tears-of-joy:
I can’t believe you just said that! Hahaha

Season 6 Reaction GIF by The Office

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there should never be and Intimidation while a few impose that should never be an issue on any forum but it exists on many forums - not just reefing.
I agree. Nobody was born knowing all of this stuff (and there's a lot of it to know in this hobby). Everyone here has learned everything they know from another source or person.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago I posted asking about something and was told “ they are clowns and clowns do silly things “
I’ve never questioned any clownfish behaviour since
So true tho. I still get a chuckle from watching them. I learned decades ago now, long as they are eating, they are fine.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So true tho. I still get a chuckle from watching them. I learned decades ago now, long as they are eating, they are fine.
I have 2 that hang upside down in the back corner of the glass. .
They rarely ever leave that corner .
if they do it’s long enough to attack my finger that’s dropping food in

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are sweet for the compliments.

Thank you guys for trying to make me feel better. I promise I’m ok! I just wanted to know if there are others who felt like me.

I don’t think I’ll have the guts to ask my question because basically you know how someone tells you not to do something and you still do it, and you kind of want advice because they were right, but you don’t want to admit it because you fear that everyone would say “I told you so!” and chant ruthless things about what kind of terrible person you are? That’s kind of the dilemma I’m going through.

But I think I figured out what to do and I’m pretty sure I have the situation all fixed.

BTW Nothing bad happened to my tank. I think I prevented it which makes me relieved.
Come on man, when I was 12 years old and I was starting with aquariums I really asked stupid questions and I had enough to the owners of the LFS who are now my friends and party companions on occasions, but I always had the habit of researching and reading even from that I was that age, from time to time now they are the ones who have some questions for me, it's a very nice feeling.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else get scared to ask certain questions about problems they are facing because of the fear of judgement?
No outright fear, but a tiny bit of worry about the number of replies. I like a smorgasbord of replies to consider.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In light of @Randy Holmes-Farley recent post, the next questions might be “how concerned are you about the quality of information you provide in a reply to a post“ and “how well do you understand the OP’s question before firing off a reply”.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In light of @Randy Holmes-Farley recent post, the next questions might be “how concerned are you about the quality of information you provide in a reply to a post“ and “how well do you understand the OP’s question before firing off a reply”.
Nooooo. Don’t tag Randy! He can’t see me vulnerable!

lol

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who trains people for a particular job, the first thing I always tell people:

"There are no dumb questions. The only dumb question is the one not asked."

No one should feel intimidated for asking even the simplest reef question. We all had to learn at one point. As far as these forums go, I don't think I have ever seen anyone intimidated or bullied by the question asked.

I've been at this reef keeping thing nearly 30 years, and even I have to ask a "stupid" question from time to time. And NO I am never intimidated by the replies, even if I am called out on it. Just don't be afraid to admit when your wrong.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t know the answer, no question is a dumb question, so don’t ever be scared to ask whatever you want. A teacher once told me this as school.

You will find most people on here are more than happy to try and help you out on anything so just ask away.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not so much asking questions but voicing your opinions that you are most likely to be jumped on but who cares.
Some people have nothing better in life but to feel offended and do their best to ensure others do as well. Practically a game for some peeps.

Luckily, I like asking questions, I like answering questions, and I like reading others people responses…which allows me to judge them. My judgement isn’t about who they are as a person but the quality of their advice. If I find their advice not credible, I discount their future responses…and sometimes just click the ignore button.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back