Fear of judgement?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else get scared to ask certain questions about problems they are facing because of the fear of judgement?

Sure... isn't that part of human nature?

On the plus side, this site seems to have more helpful and friendly people so don't be too scared... and if you've done either/both google search and site search and didn't find your answer, then thank goodness this site exists to get your question answered!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else get scared to ask certain questions about problems they are facing because of the fear of judgement?
I definitely have that now, it’s weird when people ask you for help and then all of a sudden you need the help.
Once your name starts to get big in one section it’s just scary to ask certain things.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sometime. . . like why is the yellow tang in my 5 gallon tank acting so weird. . . last time I asked everyone freaked out. . . gosh!!!

Kidding

But for real yeah sometime I am afraid to ask, mostly due to the shame of knowing I did something I shouldn't have, or did something without proper research first. Example: buying a fish on a whim. . .

AtlantiCat

33% Salt, 67% Fresh, 100% Weird
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at all. This is a very welcoming forum, I've noticed. I've been on a few freshwater forums where people had some incredible attitudes and were shaming people left and right and I'm not there any more for that reason. But I'm not getting that vibe here, which is why I decided to join.

That said, I DO try to research as much as possible before asking questions, but that's the autism talking. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d echo the others - R2R really is a nicer forum than many, and much nicer than most FB groups. That’s why I’m here, I got tired of the drama in some other hobbyist sites.
I do also agree that sometimes people sound blunt - like when I get overwhelmed, my posts will sound dogmatic, but that is a function of writing too fast….

So what dumb question do you have?

Jay

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will get plenty of help regardless of the question. This is anything but an exact science so even though many of us have been in the hobby for decades we still have plenty of learning to do. My only pet peeve is that many of the same questions appear daily even though the answer could have easily been found using the search option. So ask away.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Better to ask and be thought a bit foolish than to say and do nothing and remove all doubt.

Just don't ask me why I like my Red Sea tank and why it hasn't broken yet, because that's when the thread gets quickly derailed...

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Better to ask and be thought a bit foolish than to say and do nothing and remove all doubt.

Just don't ask me why I like my Red Sea tank and why it hasn't broken yet, because that's when the thread gets quickly derailed...
Why do you like your Red Sea? I hear they suck. Really judging you for making that decision.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No but that is because I played video games and people are absolutely ruthless in online gaming so anything here is hardly offensive anymore.. so desensitized. :face-in-clouds:

Randy's thread is pretty spicy right now... I could see why some people would be afraid to post something.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you like your Red Sea? I hear they suck. Really judging you for making that decision.

Maya Rudolph Judging You GIF by Saturday Night Live

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No but that is because I played video games and people are absolutely ruthless in online gaming so anything here is hardly offensive anymore.. so desensitized. :face-in-clouds:

Randy's thread is pretty spicy right now... I could see why some people would be afraid to post something.
I have learned to try to pull back when people talk online. The missing contextual clues and nuance make things escalate very fast. Take the missing context and hyper sensitivity and you get a loathe some mix.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes sometimes I feel pretty dumb asking a question as the answer might be too easy…

but I just want to be sure….

Here is one about dosing:

I do use tropic marin balling and need to dose the following:

50ml per 100litre raises Alk by 1,4 dKh

I dose 28ml for my 200litres and that should raise Alk by 0.4 dKh~

If I would switch to Modern Reef I need:

10ml per 100 litres raises Alk by 1,0 dKH

So, do I need to dose 8ml to raise Alk by 0.4 dKh for 200litres??

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have learned to try to pull back when people talk online. The missing contextual clues and nuance make things escalate very fast. Take the missing context and hyper sensitivity and you get a loathe some mix.
I've developed thick skin. And I carry a hammer when all else fails. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've developed thick skin. And I carry a hammer when all else fails. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
I generally do as well...but my blood boils for the self-righteous people that want to debate but refuse to listen to someone else' point of view. That is no longer debating...that is just monologuing for an audience. Once I see that going on..I ensure that the question about context and nuance are fully answered.

Solga

2 lost souls swimming in a fish bowl ...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's odd. I was always taught that the quote was :
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: :cool:

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter where we are or what we are doing on a daily basis , someone somewhere is judging us .
Let it go !
who cares what everyone else thinks . This is your system , your investment .

now we can move forward to what’s the question you’re hesitant of asking ?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 125 42.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 103 34.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 47 15.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back