Fear of judgement?

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Was that me?

checks notes (remembers having possible mean/sarcastic thoughts but keeping them to himself)

I'm almost 99.999% sure it wasn't. But still ...

In all honesty, I have a nasty tendency to assume comments lacking context like this are about me. Maybe @Miami Reef can identify with that?
LOL, No, it wasn't you.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a common thing to happen on just about any website you go to. A new person asks a question, 2 people with conflicting ideas suggest something, both members get into an argument leaving the new guy confused even more haha
And sometimes new information is gleaned from these interactions as thoughts are fleshed out and challenged; I know I often use them as a learning experience

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think this is a common thing to happen on just about any website you go to. A new person asks a question, 2 people with conflicting ideas suggest something, both members get into an argument leaving the new guy confused even more haha
This guy thought some things were said about him. I just hope it didn't discourage him from being a part of R2R.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And sometimes new information is gleaned from these interactions as thoughts are fleshed out and challenged; I know I often use them as a learning experience
I 100% agree with you hear, I always try to find where that person is coming from or where that idea comes from as well. I try not to be judgemental towards anyone or condescending towards any idea cause what works for them might not work for me and that's perfectly ok

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy thought some things were said about him. I just hope it didn't discourage him from being a part of R2R.
Oh, gotcha. I can see where that's an issue then :grinning-squinting-face:

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s terrible .
Knowing there are many ways to get to the final destination
No one said you have to follow the same path .

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s terrible .
Knowing there are many ways to get to the final destination
No one said you have to follow the same path .
That kind of goes back to the comment by @Randy Holmes-Farley. The line between constructively challenging and simply arguing is fine. Some are better at staying on the right side of that line than others.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a new member yesterday that asked a question and two other members got into a 'squabble'. I felt really bad for this new member, I'm sure that is not what he expected. Thanks to @Peace River for stepping in on it.
If these wrong answers are left unchallenged, others will quickly "learn" the wrong answers and quick as a whistle, the hobby has some new misinformation spreading through it.
These two comments go hand in hand...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Gosh sometimes I look back at questions I asked, almost 2 decades ago, that I asked and they make me cringe! HAHA! BUT, BUT, BUT I would ave never gotten to the level I am at without them! :p The same cringy questions I asked back then don't make me cringe when I see people ask them today. A lot also has to do with my pride.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I certainly try to encourage everyone to participate as much as they want, I'd like to provide some counterbalance to that comment:

1. It is to be expected that folks will argue in a complicated hobby with lots of different approaches when the answers are not simple facts, but rather the questions are asking for opinions.
Is this OK?
How should I ...?
Do I need to...?
Will this work?
What is the best way to...?

2. There are also actual wrong answers posted by people who think they are right. These are not typically opinion questions but are fact questions. They may think they are right for many good reasons (manufacturer claim, it worked for them, they read it elsewhere, etc.), and yet they are not. If these wrong answers are left unchallenged, others will quickly "learn" the wrong answers and quick as a whistle, the hobby has some new misinformation spreading through it. I make these sorts of challenges a lot, and I definitely understand that many folks are not happy to see such a challenge. Nevertheless, I feel it is more desirable to do, than not. I try to always make the challenge about the facts and not the person, but not everyone takes it that way, especially if they are corrected multiple times on the same subject.
In many cases, especially in Randy's forum, I ask few questions because with my limited knowledge of much of the subject matter, I'm not smart enough to even know I need to ask a question! That's why I search Randy's (and several other forums) daily to see what stupid questions others may have asked. I may not understand the technical details in the answers, but I have learned more relevant science than I could have ever hoped. I've asked a few stupid questions in the couple of years I've been a member. Randy doesn't belittle those questions. I know they were stupid because he just doesn't answer:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:! Kidding aside, Randy is the master at challenging posts in a non-threatening manner. We have several R2R members that can really get carried away in debate. Randy's patience when it occurs in his forum is commendable. I often read these threads for their entertainment value, but I can't imagine what a newbie to the forum thinks if during a search they happen to fall on one of the threads with a spirited debate with polar opposite ideas is underway.

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes…. Just for fun…. I’ll post questions just to watch the carnage. Strictly for entertainment. I have no life
Glenn Fong does this on FB groups all the time. It’s kinda hilarious.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes…. Just for fun…. I’ll post questions just to watch the carnage. Strictly for entertainment. I have no life
There are a few members here I will post or
Comment random questions or facts just to challenge their opinion but … at the end of the day it’s very clear I mean no harm by it nor do I think their opinion is anything less than or belittle them for it .

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know anyone who hasn’t done this haha, it’s so funny seeing people getting rilled up.

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree …
One member comes to mind .
the easiest to wind up and sit back to watch the show
I think we all got a specific member in mind. There’s one in particular I always look for. Post is always negative. Times that by 100 if it’s a Red Sea aquarium post. Dude will come on and rain on anyone’s parade.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we all got a specific member in mind. There’s one in particular I always look for. Post is always negative. Times that by 100 if it’s a Red Sea aquarium post. Dude will come on and rain on anyone’s parade.
Im
Not sure if I know who you’re talking about .
I can’t give any clues about mine .
it would be too easy

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Come on now let's keep this thread on track please! ;)

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 124 42.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 34.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 47 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back