Fed up with Apex

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along here. I'm in the process of building a 280 gallon tank. Im living the looks of this gear and interface. I was just going to run the Apex stuff on my tank but after seeing this, I'm interested in their products as well. I just took a quick gander at their site. Their lighting looks pretty cool too. Anyone e have experience with their lights and how they perform?
The Mitras are fantastic. Just like with their Profilux gear, the Mitras have outstanding build quality, stability, and performance. The software is very robust with tons of features/options.
I'm even going to be running the freshwater version on my new fw planted build.

Saveafish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went GHL. Solid. Proven. Reliable. Yes it's not the most used in the US. but world wide it is. Tunze plugs right up to it. Second reason I got it. Third reason. To use lights, KH Director, doses. You don't need the controller. They do it so you're not forced to buy a controller like Apex. That's not even the pros of adding expansion boards inside it.
I did get a cheap laptop with windows on it just for it. Than the feeling of walking up to the control center. Briefcase in hand, makes me feel like 007 and shag me together. That's a priceless feeling ( cue music )

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along here. I'm in the process of building a 280 gallon tank. Im living the looks of this gear and interface. I was just going to run the Apex stuff on my tank but after seeing this, I'm interested in their products as well. I just took a quick gander at their site. Their lighting looks pretty cool too. Anyone e have experience with their lights and how they perform?
@RobW - I am using both the LX and the slimline 2 and like them both. #GHL lighting provides quite a few options and settings. @Lasse runs slimeline 2, and has great results and you can see in GHL Facebook group some great tank picture using the lights on both lps and sps tanks.

@ShawnSaucier - I went from classic to gold to 2016 and feel the stability from the gold to the 2016 is night and day.

The only thing that I’ve really enjoyed with the new Apex was Wi-Fi built in and Heartbeat
I’m starting to price out a GHL system now,

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went GHL. Solid. Proven. Reliable. Yes it's not the most used in the US. but world wide it is. Tunze plugs right up to it. Second reason I got it. Third reason. To use lights, KH Director, doses. You don't need the controller. They do it so you're not forced to buy a controller like Apex. That's not even the pros of adding expansion boards inside it.
I did get a cheap laptop with windows on it just for it. Than the feeling of walking up to the control center. Briefcase in hand, makes me feel like 007 and shag me together. That's a priceless feeling ( cue music )

So it doesn’t support IOS?

Paul Sands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why? There are plenty of successful and happy Neptune / Apex users.

There are and most of them are using the older hardware.

I’d happily replace my newer Apex with GHL, but I can’t find it. BRS doesn’t carry it. Marinedepot is always out when I check. I’ve not seen them anywhere else, probably because Neptune likely negotiates “exclusives” with anyone carrying their stuff so that those companies can’t carry the competition too.

Last edited:

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

From reading this thread makes me go wow I’m glad I kept my tank simple and do everything manually. No controllers no issues over dosing or under (unless I forget how to simply add). But for the money spent, and for those who are not super smart phone intelligent (aka me), I would expect customer service to be key.

Another huge issue is, in Boise and out of all three lfs not a single one sells or has any knowledge on apex or ghl. When I asked if any of them would be, the owners simply said not until they change their policies, and customer service. At the same time most of them haven’t dealt with issues, but Boise is fairly small market for reefing. Most people here don’t buy items online they buy it instore.

The one store that sells Ecotech and hydras (make you call them) but on everything else they literally swap it in the store and that’s really really nice. Plus they have hands onnexperience setting them up for customers and dealing with problems. It may just be me and everyone needs to get what makes their hobby better for them. For me because how crazy my work shifts are and long, simplicity is perfect.
I do everything by hand daily and it’s maybe 20 min and that’s doing testing as well. But wish those who have these systems amazing luck.

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I threw my apex in the trash, after an awful customer service experience. Then they kept contacting me asking if I'd like a replacement several months after I've expressed my dissatisfaction with their service, on the condition I send back the unit. If they offered to replace the unit maybe a month later sure.... nope. Several months later they decided to start to make things right. They never let me work with a different service rep, they never were helpful or apologetic.

Neptune Systems considers all problems to be an end-user problem. They act as if they're totally baffled by the idea that something could go wrong with their product.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’d happily replace my newer Apex with GHL, but I can’t find it. BRS doesn’t carry it. Marinedepot is always out when I check. I’ve not seen them anywhere else, probably because Neptune probably negotiates “exclusives” with anyone carrying their stuff so that those companies can’t carry the competition too.

Hey, we're making progress, BRS now sells the 2.1 doser and kh director. I think a big part of it is their relationship with Neptune, but also GHL has their own warehouse that sells to the public. That's probably the best place to purchase. I do however understand wanting to purchase from your favorite store! Points, shipping, comfort, etc...

Hello,

From reading this thread makes me go wow I’m glad I kept my tank simple and do everything manually. No controllers no issues over dosing or under (unless I forget how to simply add). But for the money spent, and for those who are not super smart phone intelligent (aka me), I would expect customer service to be key.

Another huge issue is, in Boise and out of all three lfs not a single one sells or has any knowledge on apex or ghl. When I asked if any of them would be, the owners simply said not until they change their policies, and customer service. At the same time most of them haven’t dealt with issues, but Boise is fairly small market for reefing. Most people here don’t buy items online they buy it instore.

The one store that sells Ecotech and hydras (make you call them) but on everything else they literally swap it in the store and that’s really really nice. Plus they have hands onnexperience setting them up for customers and dealing with problems. It may just be me and everyone needs to get what makes their hobby better for them. For me because how crazy my work shifts are and long, simplicity is perfect.
I do everything by hand daily and it’s maybe 20 min and that’s doing testing as well. But wish those who have these systems amazing luck.

Until a heater sticks on, or you get a job traveling, or your system starts to require 20 $5 timers just to turn the lights off and on, etc... If it's possible to do it all manually and you enjoy it, then that's a good thing. Controllers just make sense at a certain point for a lot of people and they can change the way you enjoy the hobby. They're not bulletproof however, and need as many levels of redundancy as possible. The convience factor is strong, but also they can make running a successful reef tank much more enjoyable!

U

User1

View Badges

I have no idea why you would assume that. I can't speak for their user base but I know I personally go back as a end user since 2000. My current controller unit is the Apex along with other relevant and current products. They have a pretty large user base so it could be a mix of old and new but that doesn't really change anything.

I’d happily replace my newer Apex with GHL, but I can’t find it. BRS doesn’t carry it. Marinedepot is always out when I check. I’ve not seen them anywhere else, probably because Neptune likely negotiates “exclusives” with anyone carrying their stuff so that those companies can’t carry the competition too.

Those who want GHL get them. I think you are reading too much into this. Is it more difficult to get than other products, yes.

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, I am not trying to Bash Neptune/Apex. I am just voicing my feelings from my experiences in the last two years of having upgraded from the older system to the newer 2016 version. Yes there are still a ton of very Happy users. And a large amount of users that have had great success with their systems. Maybe I just had some bad juju with the equipment that I bought, and dealing with a customer service rep that consistently had a chip on his shoulder after my frequent calls from so many hardware issues. Or the fact that I called instead of emailed.
Maybe I am just a tough customer. I can’t deny that by my sixth call with customer service, within the first week, that I wasn’t a bit miffed.
I kinda just accepted that for whatever reason, I wouldn’t be able to use a full Apex system. And as things have continually failed over the last 18 months, I’ve had to just accept that their equipment is not the quality I expected.
But now that the DOS system has started acting up, which I have read has happened to many, it’s just relapsed me into being angry with having spent my money with this company. I have a seven week work trip coming up and kinda in a pinch on what to do to keep my reef healthy while I’m gone. I don’t want to spend another hour chatting with them, I don’t want another customer survey asking how my experience was.
Not only that, but my wife who is extremely supportive, I have to justify why I am having to replace so much gear so quickly. She gets it, but doesn’t get why what I explained as a great system has had so many failures and bad customer service. She feels like a rube because she purchased items on my list for my Christmas presents, and not one of those items worked.

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not sure if Neptune can do that “exclusives”. I believe it’s just a domination thing as far as web presence, shipping since GHL comes from Germany. Think of all of the issues going on with Triton Method and US customers/suppliers getting stock.

Last edited:

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think those that say Neptune may have leverage with BRS are reading too deep into it...

Screenshot_20190524-131745_YouTube.jpg

OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea why you would assume that. I can't speak for their user base but I know I personally go back as a end user since 2000. My current controller unit is the Apex along with other relevant and current products. They have a pretty large user base so it could be a mix of old and new but that doesn't really change anything.

Those who want GHL get them. I think you are reading too much into this. Is it more difficult to get than other products, yes.

I agree wholeheartedly. I wish my experience with Apex was the same as yours. Tough getting a GHL system was another deciding factor to going with the Upgraded Apex.
Other than the money spent and the hassle of running back and forth to my LFS, and replumbing 4 times, my main issue is the customer service. To be told that you messed something up just pulling it out of the box, or that it’s okay for your powerheads to sound like a bike wheel full of cards and I shouldn’t expect for the equipment to be silent is not customer service. If you just bought a brand new TV and after the delivery service installed it, turned it on and nothing happened ( no picture), they turn to you and say sorry, call customer service, file a report, you have to ship it in to the manufacturer to replace it or get a refund, what would your reaction be? I can bet it wouldn’t be “Great, no problem”.

U

User1

View Badges
I don't think those that say Neptune may have leverage with BRS are reading too deep into it...

Screenshot_20190524-131745_YouTube.jpg

Neptune is a sponsor. Just like Ecotech, WWC, etc. They clearly state it when they do their shows. Just like they wonder why a certain feature, heartbeat, isn't enabled by default or ask them to maybe implement a task/reminder to fire after the initial setup + one week...

You are reading into it if you are not able to separate the two.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune is a sponsor. Just like Ecotech, WWC, etc. They clearly state it when they do their shows. Just like they wonder why a certain feature, heartbeat, isn't enabled by default or ask them to maybe implement a task/reminder to fire after the initial setup + one week...

You are reading into it if you are not able to separate the two.

Why do they sponsor them? Lol

U

User1

View Badges
Why do they sponsor them? Lol

Why does Ecotech?

Edit: Why does Mike, why does WWC, or anyone else for that matter. It is to get your product in use, in the spot light, to be noted before and after the video or any other different reason.

No more than someone sending you a product to use and have you mention it in your build thread. There are people here given products to use because they have a high thread count or number of viewers.

Edit 2: Watch the BRS video from last week with regards to their tank crashing and their comments on the Apex. They are able to separate and not dancing on pins and needles to question or provide a "why isn't this by default" of said sponsor...which is how it should be.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back