Feeding a trigger

ReeferBen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently got a 3.5" pink tail trigger. I bought him about two weeks ago and noticed he seemed pretty skinny. At first he seemed very timid hiding in the rocks whenever I came near the tank. Now that he knows I am the food god he hums around the surface waiting when ever I approach the tank.

Thing is he seems still too skinny. Ive been feeding a mix of PE mysis, Hikari mysis, Hikari krill, rods original and rods extra green formula everyday. I've given him some large krill too which he sucks in with joy but 5 minutes later he wants more.

The tank has this line up
Pink tail trigger
foxface
sailfin tang
yellow tang
tamarin wrasse
pair of black ocellaris
pair of lawnmower blennys
fang blenny
small scopas tang

I've been feeding three to four cubes of mysis a day, plus some krill, plus some rods food. Tank is 4' x 3' x 2'. All the fish seem fat but the trigger still seems like he is taking a long time to put any weight on.

I am looking for suggestions on other foods I could offer that might better suit or help him along.

TIA

OP
OP
R

ReeferBen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got this trigger on 4/22. He is doing well, and slowly gaining weight. Recently Ive been feeding the tank 3 cubes mysis, 2 cubes krill, some large krill, and some rods food (about 1" sq) per day. This trigger will pick at the nori on the clip for the tangs too.

He still looks a bit skinny so hopefully keeps gaining weight. He's a very agressive feeder always jockeying for position in the tank when I add food to get the best spot. He'll swim right along with the food grabbing as much as possible before the other fish to the point the tangs will stop and he'll get right on to the vortech. Last night he stuck himself to it, I was standing right there and he only stuck for 10 sec before I pulled the plug on the vortech, he seems fine. Today during feeding I thought he would have learned a lesson but still will swim sideways right against it grabbing up food since the tangs don't get that close, he didnt get stuck this time but man did he get right on there. I am hoping he doesnt get stuck when I am not around. I took this picture today.

Attachments

• small.jpg
    small.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 117

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a HPT and he was real timid in a 6' 125. He would run and hide anytime any one would walk near the tank. I moved him to my 300, which is 8' long, and he is fine. I don't know if that is what your issue is with him but something to consider.

OP
OP
R

ReeferBen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is still very new to the tank, he's been in the tank 18 days and is definatly fatter than when I got him. Not timid at all, loves to be right out in front when I am working on the tank. He hid for the first few days but after that he acts totally at ease with me in front of or even while my arm is in the tank. Just goes nuts at feeding time, loves to eat.

I feed the 5 cubes, rods food, and larger mysis a few times through out the day. I dethaw it in a cup and pour a bit in hear and there. They eat it all up.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since he's now obviously gaining weight I wouldn't be too worried about it. However a telltale sign of a fish with internal parasites is eating voraciously and not gaining weight. Did you QT the trigger? Was it treated with prazi?

OP
OP
R

ReeferBen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you QT the trigger? Was it treated with prazi?

I would love to say yes, but no, and no. If I need to I am pretty sure netting him up would be easy. I should probably set up a QT one of these days.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back