Feeding Corals

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not just survive but thrive(poor choice in wording here). Corals do not need to be directly fed unless they are NPS plain and simple. While they can benefit from direct feedings, they do not NEED it(the whole point of this thread actually)

To your point about planktonic soup, AKA NSW. Again feed the tank and create the planktonic soup as I already posted above. The entire point of my post was to feed the tank, not the fish.

If you need to feed your coral, then you need to up your bioload. More fish = more fish poop = more ammonia = more coral food(Your corals actually prefer ammonia over N and P).

OP
OP
Reesj

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you in the wrong topic @homer1475 ;) .
The "whole point of the topic" was to know how many people are feeding their corals and know what diffrent stuff they are feeding.
And as I said I "NEED to feed " my corals as mentioned in topic :). I have a sun coral colony, Fire coral and gorgonia. All 3 nps corals. Even with my current feeding, the sun coral colony is half dead :(.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rarely feed my coral directly (unless nutrients in the tank are low) but if I do I use Reef Chili. My feedings come from fish poop.

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was an avid and true believer of Reefroid, used it all the time, but now I use Coral Feast, no nitrate or phosphate issues and no algae bloom.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I auto dose phyto hourly during the night, 7 days week.
I feed AquaVitro Fuel (Amminos) twice per week.
I feed Seachem Zooplankton twice per week.
I target feed Mysis, 2 hours after dark.
I feed Marine Snow to my Gorgonians, seem to like this.
FCB98D92-D077-45C6-9FD3-57B6CD8F56B6.jpeg

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This +1000

No one directly feeds corals in the ocean, why should we in our tanks? Feed the tank, not the fish, and everything eats.

Oh wait, someone is going to point out no one directly feeds fish in the ocean like we do in our tank either. My response to that is fish can swim around in the ocean to catch their food, corals cannot. Not a good counter argument. IMO

I find it very funny that most everyone that directly feed their corals, are also the same people that are posting problems about algae. Ever wonder why?

lol corals have an ENDLESS supply of nightly plankton to feed on. There are only two good reasons not to feed corals often (like they get in the ocean): you can't duplicate/exactly what YOUR particular corals eat and nutrient management. And just like you mentioned the vast majority of reefs feeding with algae problems likewise the vast majority of coral farmers and top tier reefs feed their corals regularly. Because you see nutrient export issues frequently doesn't mean corals don't benefit from eating. You are seeing the issues inherent of a small body closed system which corals obviously don't come from.

OP
OP
Reesj

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I auto dose phyto hourly during the night, 7 days week.
I feed AquaVitro Fuel (Amminos) twice per week.
I feed Seachem Zooplankton twice per week.
I target feed Mysis, 2 hours after dark.
I feed Marine Snow to my Gorgonians, seem to like this.
FCB98D92-D077-45C6-9FD3-57B6CD8F56B6.jpeg
Wow amazing looking corals. I'm here trying to decide between polyp booster, Red sea AB+ or Aquavitro fuel..

reefer7891

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like feeding my coral. It’s as enjoyable and zen as feeding my fish. I just blast em with whatever frozen food the tank fatties are getting. Got a skinny syringe too if I’m feeling extra bored. Then I watch them do it like they do it on the discovery channel.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see an increase in stuff I don't want like aiptasia and vermetids when I use coral foods, therefore fish poop and blasting T5s are all my corals get.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems you and I are the only one feeding coralific! I love it so much better than reef roids! I also dont have the nitrate problem I use to have when I used reef roids!

I like how you can make a thick gel for meat eating lps so after I feed the meat eaters I feed the rest of the tank. If you then suck up a lot of water it comes out in little ensey tensy pieces that zoas love!

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many of you feed your corals ?
I have to feed my corals as got some nps in the tank. So I put soem hikari Coralific delite every fw days.
But I'm hoping to switch to reefroids and was thinking of adding Polyp booster or Red seas AB+.

How many of you are feeding your corals and with which products ?

I've never fed anything to my coral and they're doing fine - growing too fast if anything.
All they need are light and fish waste.

Feed the fish and they feed the coral and you get to save money.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back