Feeding Nori

InCodWeTrust

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reef2Reef, I got a scopas tang from Reef-A-Palooza and I am wondering how you guys get tangs to start eating nori. I’m worried that he won’t last long if he doesn’t start eating so any advice is welcome.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope someone else chimes in. I did not have any problems as mine all just went nuts for it when I put it in the tank.

If I can give you any help it would be to rubber band some to a rock and place it in the tank. Tangs are grazers and naturally pluck algae off the rocks, so play to this. Make it as natural a process as possible and he should start eating soon.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming you've tried to feed nori in some fashion and he hasn't gone for it???

I don't know if it helps, but I provide nori in small strips that are easy to pull off and eat. I buy my nori at my local oriental market. (H-Mart is a fantastic store close by that has an endless supply of nori. Just make sure it's plain nori with no salts/spices.) When I get it home, I first cut the nori into quarters. Actually the detail of how I give my tangs nori (including a Scopas) is found HERE. They suck the small stripes off like it's spaghetti.

OP
OP
InCodWeTrust

InCodWeTrust

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope someone else chimes in. I did not have any problems as mine all just went nuts for it when I put it in the tank.

If I can give you any help it would be to rubber band some to a rock and place it in the tank. Tangs are grazers and naturally pluck algae off the rocks, so play to this. Make it as natural a process as possible and he should start eating soon.
That’s what I’m doing right now. He swims near the nori, takes a good look at it, and then swims away.

OP
OP
InCodWeTrust

InCodWeTrust

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 2 years old. Scopas tang is around 1.5 to 2 inches. Tank mates include Rusty Angelfish, Six line wrasse, and two clownfish. I don’t have pictures due to being in high school as of now

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two tangs were finicky eaters when I got them. When I got the first one he would only eat nori if I rubber banded it to a rock. The second one refused everything. Then last year, my wonderful R2R Secret Santa sent me Julian Sprung's Sea Veggies purple seaweed. Both my tangs are crazy for it. They soon were eating it off of a clip. I rotate between purple, red, and green, but both like the purple best. You can buy it on Amazon. Good luck!
Purple Seaweed.PNG

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back