Fighting Conch or Watchman Goby

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im in yet another dilemma. Should I get a fighting conch or a watchman goby. I want something that can clean the sandbed by eating detritus and algae. Im leaning more torwards fighting conch but I want the one that does the job better

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO depends on how much you plan to use your sandbed. Goby is guaranteed to bury almost everything you place on the sand. It will also pile most of your sand up in mountains around the base of rocks. But one mature Watchman Goby can do a heck of a job cleaning all of a shallow sand bed in a 6' tank.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO depends on how much you plan to use your sandbed. Goby is guaranteed to bury almost everything you place on the sand. It will also pile most of your sand up in mountains around the base of rocks. But one mature Watchman Goby can do a heck of a job cleaning all of a shallow sand bed in a 6' tank.
I have a Biocube 32 and it has a little more than 1 1/2 sq ft of 1 inch thick sandbed. Also plan to get one more coral for the sandbed, but I use it quite a lot for corals

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Biocube 32 and it has a little more than 1 1/2 sq ft of 1 inch thick sandbed. Also plan to get one more coral for the sandbed, but I use it quite a lot for corals
IMO there's not going to be enough sand surface in that tank to support an adult Watchman Goby.

FrontRangeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Word of advice - Be careful that you get a fighting conch and not a crown conch. I ended up getting a mislabeled crown conch (they look very similar) that killed and consumed a lot of my other snails. After putting it in, I would wake up to find empty snail shells all over my tank. The last straw was when I was watching it one day and saw it quickly “stab” one of my snails with its proboscis, then proceeded to cover it with its foot and eat it. It was immediately banished to my sump.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back