Fighting ich

Ssdangeranger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wanting to fight ick to erradicate it from my tank. I have a quarantine tank set up now. To put all my fish in. My tank is a 32 biocube. My plan is to drain the tank completely catch the fish then fill it back up with the same water and run it fallow for 8 weeks. I plan to use a brand new trash can to put the water in. My question is how long can my corals and anemones stay out of water. I’m hoping it doesn’t take any longer than 15 minutes but that’s probably wishful thinking

Reef Guy Ronnie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're within that 15 min time frame, I believe you would be safe. If you can however, it is best to place the corals in the can of water your filling until you complete the task.
Run the tank fish free for 7-9weeks, and ALWAYS QT your new fish :)

OP
OP
S

Ssdangeranger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're within that 15 min time frame, I believe you would be safe. If you can however, it is best to place the corals in the can of water your filling until you complete the task.
Run the tank fish free for 7-9weeks, and ALWAYS QT your new fish :)
Yep told myself to quarantine from day one but other things happened to where I didn’t set up my QT tank and I just acclimated and dumped them in. Now I’m kicking myself for it. I’ve only lost some chromis and 1 fire fish but I’m taking control of it before my flame hawk fish gets taken away

Reef Guy Ronnie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep told myself to quarantine from day one but other things happened to where I didn’t set up my QT tank and I just acclimated and dumped them in. Now I’m kicking myself for it. I’ve only lost some chromis and 1 fire fish but I’m taking control of it before my flame hawk fish gets taken away
It rough! I, and many others here, have been in your shoes.
Not only does ich travel into our tanks from the fish, but also keep in mind it can travel through any form of wet contact. I once received ich in my tank from buying LR at a LFS. If you buy corals, dip them! Take all measures to prevent ich. Best of luck friend!

OP
OP
S

Ssdangeranger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It rough! I, and many others here, have been in your shoes.
Not only does ich travel into our tanks from the fish, but also keep in mind it can travel through any form of wet contact. I once received ich in my tank from buying LR at a LFS. If you buy corals, dip them! Take all measures to prevent ich. Best of luck friend!
What about snails and hermits though. Should I just buy what clean up crew I need now and let the tank run fallow with them in there and just feed fish food tank has been running a little over a month. Just got through the ugly stage and started adding corals. I have 12 snails and like 4 hermits

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about snails and hermits though. Should I just buy what clean up crew I need now and let the tank run fallow with them in there and just feed fish food tank has been running a little over a month. Just got through the ugly stage and started adding corals. I have 12 snails and like 4 hermits
A good LFS knows not to house any fish in their CUC tanks. I house new nverts away from all fish for 30 days before adding them to a DT.

Jay

OP
OP
S

Ssdangeranger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well got all the water and fish out. Had to redo my aqua scape because the fish found places under rocks I didn’t even know about. Had to pulled all my corals out as well so now coral is in a bucket and fish are acclimating to QT tank. Never again

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Coppersafe over paraguard will be your best recourse. Even formalin baths using general cure will help along with copper treatment.
Your fallow period will be safe at 45 days but 76 won’t hurt.
Be sure to use a copper test kit to monitor the level of copper in qt tank

OP
OP
S

Ssdangeranger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coppersafe over paraguard will be your best recourse. Even formalin baths using general cure will help along with copper treatment.
Your fallow period will be safe at 45 days but 76 won’t hurt.
Be sure to use a copper test kit to monitor the level of copper in qt tank
Ok I will try but don’t wanna invest in a Hanna checker for copper and I thought regular test are inaccurate like API

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok I will try but don’t wanna invest in a Hanna checker for copper and I thought regular test are inaccurate like API
Api copper kit not too bad but you want some form of copper testing. How else would you know how high the level is?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back