Fiji Cube 76EXT Shallow

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Restart Update
______________________________________________________________________________________

I picked up a yellow coris wrasse and a flame hawk from an LFS, they did great for a few days so I added a few corals from my reffer170, they opened up right away even with the alk being lower in this tank at 8 dkh over my reefer's 9 dkh.
IMG_4199.png

IMG_4200.png

I also got a shipment of fish in from Reef Pro: 2 Naoko's wrasse, 1 Yasha Goby. The fish came in super healthy and in water with a salinity of 34.7ppt which made it super easy to acclimate to the tank. I will defiantly order from them again.
IMG_4226.png
IMG_4227.png
IMG_4228.png
IMG_4224.png
IMG_4229.png

I started to get a cloudy bacteria bloom, so I knocked it down with some UV, then I started to get some stringy white bacteria slime in the sump so I cleaned out as much as I could. I think the bloom is due to me dosing Nitrate and phosphates to the tank for the corals.
IMG_4255.png
IMG_4276.png

Thursday 11/2/23
A few days later I got a shipment in from POTO, the all the corals came in great condition except the red dragon that was snapped in half, but its a delicate coral.

I floated the bags then dipped and rebased the corals, every thing looked great in the tank a few hours later. However the next day the red dragon started to stn at the base so well see if it can pull through.

I also got a shipment in from @hollback of tiger pods, they were packed well and the bottles were full of pods. I would defiantly recommend getting your pods from him. I set half a bottle aside to culture with some phyto from mercer of Montana, and add the rest to the tank at night.

(I forgot to take a picture but the bottles were loaded with pods)

I got the pods to help slow down diatom growth but the wrasses have been having a ball hunting them so hopefully my culture will grow out fast.

Sunday 11/5/23
Diatoms have started to break out so I'm hitting them with some UV and a power filter, I'll probably have to keep this up for a couple of days. I like to run the power filter for just a couple hours a day as its a bit too much flow to leave in the tank 24/7.
IMG_4278.png

Fiji Cube
I really regret getting a Fiji cube system.

The acrylic shaft on the Fiji roller mat shattered, Fiji customer service was quick to respond and is sending me an upgrade kit that fixes the acrylic shaft issue but for the amount I have spent on the system, plumbing (thats not included), and roller mat I wish I just bought a RedSea it would have been a lot less of a headache.

Besides the Fiji filter roller being difficult to use and breaking, none of the acrylic edges are chamfered on the Fiji sump so I constantly get cut while working in it.

IMG_4257 2.png

To make things worse the Fiji overflow box doesn't fully seal into the bulkheads which allows water to flow into the overflow box below the grates. This becomes a big problem when the return pump is off as the sump can't hold all the water that flows down from the tank.
The flow from the leaky seals is slow but if the return pump was off for more than 20 min the sump would overflow.
IMG_4279.jpg
IMG_4280.jpg

My solution to these Fiji Cube issues is to buy a larger Bashsea sump with a ReefMat and buy a vectra pump and make a 40ah battery back up for it.

My recommendation to anyone looking for a new tank is to stick with waterbox or RedSea.

With the amount of money I have spent to get this aquarium up and running it would have been a lot cheaper and a lot less of a headache to just buy a waterbox or a reefer. I like the "frag/lagoon" style tank but in the end I would have been happier with a reefer 350 that comes with everything you need in the box, is less of a headache, and has a way better fit and finish.
Sounds like you have the same experience as I did with their Roller Mat. They (Fiji Cube) after about 8 months of video documenting and complaining to them, they sent me their upgraded roller mat. However, I decided to stop waiting on them and redid my sump area. I went from a Fiji Cube Refugium, now have a Synergy Sump and Red Sea Reef Mat. The 108 INT Fiji Cube Aquarium I have hasn't given me any issues as of yet...I would say, the FijiCube Refugium is REALLY good, but their ReefMat, atleast the one i purchased this year (before they rolled out the1.5 Gen update about 2 weeks ago) is TRASH!
Fiji Sump/Roller Period Video ( https://youtu.be/2BttDH0RYMA?si=xiTrEPCQRIkzrbe4)
Synergy Sump/Red Sea Mat As of OCT 2023 ( https://youtu.be/J_Fy5Jbi2u0?si=TlFxXYQTGb1g5Yp6 )

OP
OP
fushi

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds like you have the same experience as I did with their Roller Mat. They (Fiji Cube) after about 8 months of video documenting and complaining to them, they sent me their upgraded roller mat. However, I decided to stop waiting on them and redid my sump area. I went from a Fiji Cube Refugium, now have a Synergy Sump and Red Sea Reef Mat. The 108 INT Fiji Cube Aquarium I have hasn't given me any issues as of yet...I would say, the FijiCube Refugium is REALLY good, but their ReefMat, atleast the one i purchased this year (before they rolled out the1.5 Gen update about 2 weeks ago) is TRASH!
Fiji Sump/Roller Period Video ( https://youtu.be/2BttDH0RYMA?si=xiTrEPCQRIkzrbe4)
Synergy Sump/Red Sea Mat As of OCT 2023 ( https://youtu.be/J_Fy5Jbi2u0?si=TlFxXYQTGb1g5Yp6 )

I agree, for $350 the Fiji roller mat was absolutely terrible and I regret purchasing it. Fiji did say they would send me the 1.5 upgrade parts so well see if it works better. However I already bought a Bashsea sump and reefmat, as the synergy sumps wouldn't fit in my cabinet. So I think I will sell the Fiji sump and roller together once the new parts arrive.

How do you like the reefmat, i'm currently going back and forth with redsea customer support about the two reefwaves I just purchased not anitsyncing properly but haven't gotten far enough to state an opinion yet.

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, for $350 the Fiji roller mat was absolutely terrible and I regret purchasing it. Fiji did say they would send me the 1.5 upgrade parts so well see if it works better. However I already bought a Bashsea sump and reefmat, as the synergy sumps wouldn't fit in my cabinet. So I think I will sell the Fiji sump and roller together once the new parts arrive.

How do you like the reefmat, i'm currently going back and forth with redsea customer support about the two reefwaves I just purchased not anitsyncing properly but haven't gotten far enough to state an opinion yet.
I have's had any issues with the RedSea myself. My personal opinion regarding these larger companies to get them to respond in your favor in a timely manor is to VIDEO DOCUMENT the issues and send it to both them and the vendor you purchase it from. It a nicer way to put them on blast without putting them on blast...

OP
OP
fushi

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have's had any issues with the RedSea myself. My personal opinion regarding these larger companies to get them to respond in your favor in a timely manor is to VIDEO DOCUMENT the issues and send it to both them and the vendor you purchase it from. It a nicer way to put them on blast without putting them on blast...

I’m gonna give them a chance to respond, but I think the problem is a software issue/oversight so well see what happens.

Glad to hear the ReefMat is working for you, mine should be here later this week.

OP
OP
fushi

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lately I havent been good about posting her so heres a little video update.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back