Fiji Cube 81 Gal Build

stros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new Fiji Cube 81 gal build. After being out of Reefing for a number of years due to a move, I wanted to jump back in. I have had a number of tanks through the years the most recent was a 180 gal peninsula tank with end overflow and basement sump room. Since I am in a much smaller place right now I decided to look at the cube tanks. Always like the clean designs. I started looking at the 93 gal ones but saw some issues with them from other peoples posts. I then came across Fiji Cube company that makes semi custom tanks and sumps. I started to get quotes for a 30 x 30 x 24 with external overflow. Cost was an issue with custom sizes as well as delivery time. They ended up having a sale right before black Friday on a external overflow 81gal 36 x 24 x 22. I know it is not quite a cube but it gave me the best alternative for the space that I have in my place. It was a good deal in my opinion , plus they were offer free shipping.
First picture is old tank.
Next pictures of new tank.
So now the journey begins again!

IMG_0003.jpeg IMG_1978.jpeg IMG_1979.jpeg

OP
OP
S

stros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When deciding on this build I was try to keep it clean and simple. In the past I had built all my stand out of wood and just skinned the out side with plywood or cherry lumber. The picture of the old 180 gal tank was made with cherry lumber as the outside and had a total of 7 raised panel doors. On the 81 gallon I wanted to go for a clean modern style. Since I had to get rid of all my wood working tools I was in need of an easy alternative. I had seen a number of build threads that used extruded aluminum for the stand.
I contacted a number of vendors but ultimately decided to go with Framing Tech. They had some -redesigned stands that could be customized. If anyone wants to look into these stands I can highly recommend talking with Anthony at Framing Tech . Great guy, excellent product knowledge. I made a drawing of what I had in mind and emailed it to him. They then turned it into a cad drawing with load test done. I ended up adding an additional cross brace for the sump area, as well as light towers that were made from a thinner style extrusion. I also made the height a little higher so it is easier to look at as well as work on. I am an older reefer (61) so anything that make it easer to work on is a plus. it also gave me more room in the sump area.

image.jpg

OP
OP
S

stros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand from Framing Tech worked out great.
IMG_2039.jpeg

All parts where cut very smooth with hardware ready to assemble .

IMG_2056.jpeg

Went together very quickly . I cut a piece of plastic board to cover the bottom.
IMG_2061.jpeg

Sump fit very nice with a lot of easy access. I had ordered the sump from Fiji Cube when I ordered the tank. Ended up going with the 30 advanced reef sump. Very impressed with the build quality. Came with 2 socks and media basket if you want to swap out the socks, heater holder , probe holders, adjustable level baffles and large skimmer section.

IMG_2063.jpeg

OP
OP
S

stros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand was about 550.00 with the hardware and some extra connectors I wanted for future additions.The style of the extrusion was a little more because I wanted a smoothie exterior finish. The 4 channel slot frames are usually standard. The good thing about the tslot extrusion you can always add or reconfigure to get what you want out of it. The other thing is it can always be repurposed later down the road.

OP
OP
S

stros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the top made I was able to get the tank up on the stand with a little help of course.
IMG_1978.jpeg

IMG_1979.jpeg

Tank was packaged very well. Wooden crate on a pallet, boxed and wrapped with parts wrapped inside.

IMG_2082.jpeg

Ready to get things hooked up and running.
Very Impressed with the tank construction from Fiji Cube! Ultra low iron glass ,1/2" thick. Rimless, black silicone seams, black back panel, external overflow. The seams are very clean and free from any bubbles. Very nice tank.
IMG_2084.jpeg
IMG_2088.jpeg

OP
OP
S

stros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the plumbing designed and installed. In my quest to keep things simple. I went with black vinyl tubing for the drains and returns. I have seen all kinds of hard plumbing and colorful pipes but my feeling is none of that is really going to show or really make a difference with the health of the tank.

IMG_2089.jpeg

External overflow ready for the tubing.

IMG_2095.jpeg

Tubing installed. I added a small ball valve on the return line and gate valve on main drain. This will help with tuning the overflows to make them very quiet. Had to use a heat gun to help straighten the vinyl tubing. Worked fairly well to help flex the tube into the sump.

Joeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super cool. I really like that stand. At firs glance I was expecting something welded and was surprised it was something to be assembled. Looking forward to see how your project comes together.

OP
OP
S

stros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to find an old light I had from my previous tank. It is a GHL Mitra LH6200 - HV. The only issue I have is the old program is still being run. I no longer have a windows computer to run the light compose software. I suppose I could just set it on the light but not sure what the channel setting should be. Frustrating, may decide on new LED's
IMG_2091.jpeg

Light test! Looks like I will have to make some adjustment to the arms to get it leveled up. Good thing about the extrusions it is very easy to adapt and adjust to size of fixture. One of the main reasons I went with the towers was that I could adjust height and width when ever I needed. Future plan may include T5 hybrid, 2 Kessils or even Reefi LED's.

OP
OP
S

stros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worked on some aqua scape designs . Wanted an open style with shelves and some caves. Decided to go with some Stax rock and some Caribe sea shapes rock. All of the rock will start off dry. My LFS had some thicker flat blocks and a Caribe sea cave and arch. The rest is thinner Stax rock I order from Saltwater Aquarium.
IMG_2112.jpeg

Stax flat shelf rock.

IMG_2113.jpeg

Basic design start. Definitely need more pieces and some break in height.

IMG_2115.jpeg

Lfs had some thicker pieces and some Caribe sea shapes.

IMG_2116.jpeg

Still playing with the design.

IMG_2117.jpeg

Arch and branch seem to go together but the main structure needs something.

IMG_2144.jpeg

Added a cave shape.

IMG_2156-2.jpeg

Ended up liking this design the best.
IMG_2157.jpeg

White plastic board is the size of the tank bottom.

In talking with my friend from work , we always talked about if we ever had it to do over we would drill holes ever where in the rock to mount frag plugs. So I now have a perfect excuse to do what we talked about. I know a lot of people use super glue and putty to mount corals to the substrate. I may have to still do some of this but I am hoping it will be a lot less.
The Stax rock is flat cut pieces about an inch thick with lots of natural hole through out. I played with the aquascape until I happy with the current design.

IMG_1737.jpeg

My friends tank. He is a pretty good reefer!

IMG_2172.jpeg

Drilling for these type of plugs.

IMG_2168.jpeg
IMG_2169.jpeg
IMG_2170.jpeg

Basically just enlarged the hole the were already there. I used a carbide bit in a small micro motor to shape the holes. Started at the top of the design and just did one rock at a time until I got to the bottom pieces.

IMG_2178.jpeg

For the Caribe sea pieces I used a product called Apoxy Sculpt to add plug mounts to the 3 rock shapes. Apoxy works great on dry rock and can also shape it with water and paint brush. Please note it is not made to work under water only when it is dry. Once fully cured it is okay to go under the water.
IMG_2184.jpeg

Final design laid out in the tank. I did add 1 small irregular piece to the top and at the bottom of the branch. IMG_2143.jpeg IMG_2156.jpeg IMG_2158.jpeg

Last edited:

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worked on some aqua scape designs . Wanted an open style with shelves and some caves. Decided to go with some Stax rock and some Caribe sea shapes rock. All of the rock will start off dry. My LFS had some thicker flat blocks and a Caribe sea cave and arch. The rest is thinner Stax rock I order from Saltwater Aquarium.
IMG_2112.jpeg

Stax flat shelf rock.

IMG_2113.jpeg

Basic design start. Definitely need more pieces and some break in height.

IMG_2115.jpeg

Lfs had some thicker pieces and some Caribe sea shapes.

IMG_2116.jpeg

Still playing with the design.

IMG_2117.jpeg

Arch and branch seem to go together but the main structure needs something.

IMG_2144.jpeg

Added a cave shape.

IMG_2156-2.jpeg

Ended up liking this design the best.
IMG_2157.jpeg

White plastic board is the size of the tank bottom.

In talking with my friend from work , we always talked about if we ever had it to do over we would drill holes ever where in the rock to mount frag plugs. So I now have a perfect excuse to do what we talked about. I know a lot of people use super glue and putty to mount corals to the substrate. I may have to still do some of this but I am hoping it will be a lot less.
The Stax rock is flat cut pieces about an inch thick with lots of natural hole through out. I played with the aquascape until I happy with the current design.

IMG_1737.jpeg

My friends tank. He is a pretty good reefer!

IMG_2172.jpeg

Drilling for these type of plugs.

IMG_2168.jpeg
IMG_2169.jpeg
IMG_2170.jpeg

Basically just enlarged the hole the were already there. I used a carbide bit in a small micro motor to shape the holes. Started at the top of the design and just did one rock at a time until I got to the bottom pieces.

IMG_2178.jpeg

For the Caribe sea pieces I used a product called Apoxy Sculpt to add plug mounts to the 3 rock shapes. Apoxy works great on dry rock and can also shape it with water and paint brush. Please note it is not made to work under water only when it is dry. Once fully cured it is okay to go under the water.
IMG_2184.jpeg

Final design laid out in the tank. I did add 1 small irregular piece to the top and at the bottom of the branch shape. IMG_2143.jpeg IMG_2156.jpeg IMG_2158.jpeg
You’re scape came out great. I used the Stax rock in my scape. I have some of the Liferock shapes too but I couldn’t make anything out of them that l liked. I didn’t try to use them together with the Stax the way you have. Nice job.

OP
OP
S

stros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a little problem with my leak test. No problem with the plumbing. Just a small section in the sump was not glued all the way. Contacted Fiji Cube and they were going to send me a replacement, After talking with them I was able to use some weld-on acrylic glue. I have worked with acrylic's before so no big deal to fix the one joint. Did not want to have the shipping back and forth.

Back