Fiji, Tonga, Pukani Stock Issues

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was shopping for rock at BRS for a new build and was shocked to see so many out of stocks. Can BRS confirm that more rock is on the way and if so, when? Is this by chance related to the ban and subsequent withdrawal of the ban on Fiji rock and coral making its way through the supply chain?

rock.JPG

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lack of rock is indeed a result of the short ban of collection in Fiji. The dry rock is shipped by cargo freight and the transit is a long journey. While the ban in Fiji was indeed lifted it is still going to be in the 6+ week range before we see retailers be able to restock the various types of rock.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Redleg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't wait the 6+ weeks. Ordered reef saver Monday morning and got it yesterday.

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like there are always LOTS of out of stock notices on BRS spread over all product areas. It's a great site but I don't understand the overall stock issue.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This lack availability exposes the false assumption that dry dead rock is any better for the Reef or the environment than live rock. It is the exact same rock, harvested from the ocean the exact same way, yet it is dried out before shipping instead of being shipped preserved and refrigerated. In my mind, I imagined dried Pukani was all leftover rock, harvested long ago and sitting in warehouse somewhere in Fiji. But that is not the case. The rock has been harvested quite recently. Just food for thought.

Last edited:

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

The out of stock rock is absolutely related to the temporary ban. I am not there for the conversations but the information that has been conveyed to me is they are releasing 3 shipping containers for us but they have not left the port yet because they are waiting on final paperwork. I totally understand this is pretty frustrating but there isn't much any of us can do other than wait on the Fiji government. For what it is worth a few months ago we donated $10,000 to the local conversation and sustainability project. We are making real attempts to find legit solutions for everyone involved. https://www.adeproject.org/donors/

In relation to other out of stocks on the site, they are higher than normal and we are jamming purchase orders out at an unprecedented rate. However, the community is buying all of this stuff faster than ever and our suppliers are just plain having difficutly keeping up with the rapid and unexpected increases. We just had another purchasing manager join the team this week and we are jamming but I do apologize for the inconvenience.

Last edited:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that Due to More entering the hobby ?

I'd say the hobby is growing for sure. I think a big chunk of that is people are staying in longer because they are more successful. That also means larger tanks and additional tanks.

http://www.americanpetproducts.org/press_industrytrends.asp
Saltwater Fish 2.5 million households (2017-2018)

https://web.archive.org/web/2016020...ricanpetproducts.org/press_industrytrends.asp
Saltwater Fish 1.3 million households (2015-2016)

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say the hobby is growing for sure. I think a big chunk of that is people are staying in longer because they are more successful. That also means larger tanks and additional tanks.

http://www.americanpetproducts.org/press_industrytrends.asp
Saltwater Fish 2.5 million households (2017-2018)

https://web.archive.org/web/2016020...ricanpetproducts.org/press_industrytrends.asp
Saltwater Fish 1.3 million households (2015-2016)

Good links, thanks for the information. I wasn't aware that anyone had attempted to quantify saltwater aquarium ownership.

Also, funny, more people have horses than saltwater fish. Not knocking horses of course, to each his own. It's just funny to think that if you walked up to a random person on the street and asked if they had horses or saltwater fish, they'd be more likely to answer "horses" :confused:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just funny to think that if you walked up to a random person on the street and asked if they had horses or saltwater fish, they'd be more likely to answer "horses" :confused:
images

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back