Filter Media Question

ClutchCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I will be setting up my new Redsea Reefer 425 xl in the not so distant future and I am trying to make plans for my sump. FWIW I am hoping to do a LPS heavy reeftank with a medium-high bioload. I will be running a Nyos 160 skimmer with a CO2 scrubber and have yet to decide on a fuge (thinking no, but I plan on letting my system's nutrient load decide for me as I get the tank established).

My question for now relates to some basics - the filter sock/media cup setup. It is my understanding that my sump comes with 2 filter socks and 2 media cups which can all be run at once. I know socks can be a huge pain to some and I also don't think I need to run GFO/Carbon for the first couple weeks until my tank is more established. As such, I planned to turn the 2 media cups into ad-hoc filter socks/bio filtration for the first couple weeks, to run in parallel with the filter socks, to see what I like the most.

The plan is as follows: bag of bio-filtration at the bottom of the filter cup (K1, seachem matrix, etc. - you tell me, I haven't settled on a specific media yet) then rolled up polyster batting as mechanical filtration at the top. I figure I can cut the batting into strips all at once and replacing the batting should be much easier than cleaning filter socks every 2-3 days.

In a couple weeks I can see what works best for me, and if I am liking the Filter Cup setup buy two more filter cups for use with GFO/carbon/additional biofiltration. If not, I can just buy more filter socks and go that route and clean using my washing machine every so often (no wife for me, but I would still prefer to not have to use my washing machine for this).

Does anyone have any thoughts on this plan or does anyone have experience using filter cups similarly? I have been out of reefing for far too long and am now dipping my toes back in the water so I want to make sure I get things right. I'm also open to any other thoughts on sump design (i.e. fuge, other forms of filtration, etc.) or really anything in general - I definitely like to learn.

Thanks again to all for your insights/input!

EDIT: I probably should have said this originally but the 425 xl is an 88 gallon DT with a 24 gallon sump.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one of my socks as sort of a GFO reactor. I change the media once a week. I have done the same when needing extra carbon. Instead of normal 200 micron felt I use 300 micron mesh.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any filtration that is meant to add surface area is a total waste of time, space and money in reefing. using filters for adsorbtion media / legit (the rocks you add are orders more surface area than your whole bioload + 5 new fish needs)

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I respectfully disagree with Brandon regarding extra biofiltration. In an 88 gallon DT, you might have a tough time getting enough rock in there to handle a big fish load while still leaving adequate swimming area (especially once corals start growing in). Let's face it, most of us push the limits on fish load, right?
I like to keep some bags of ceramic bio-spheres (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ceramic-bio-sphere-seaside-aquatics.html) in my sump along with a big sponge filter to both increase my surface area AND so I can use a bag of spheres and the filter sponge in my QT when needed.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my RSR425XL Sump. Would recommend a DC controllable skimmer to use with CO2 scrubber. I also put my refugium with Chaeto in the sump. Good luck!

BCD0F4EB-7D05-4732-9601-7EE3A82115A2.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Telling someone to shortchange surface area sounds risky I know :)

but it turns out in the sand rinse thread we can instantly remove the entire sandbed, remote dsb and all associated extra filter media from *any* reef on this entire site - leaving only the rock—and it will carry the exact same fish bioload instantly after, as long as we want to track it. No outliers

its no harm to add the extra goodies that freshwater training gives us

but knowing the exact nature of surface area also allows for better more efficient designs and most of all: no hesitation or bacterial doubt when it’s time to act. If we reef in concern that someone will run low on surface area then we are hesitant in reefing but without cause, there’s no instance we can find for any reef tank lacking surface area although being ten times over need isn’t any harm as well

OP
OP
C

ClutchCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all and I especially appreciate the respectful differences of opinion. This is far from science so I love gathering all the perspectives and putting them together so I can make the most informed decision possible.

@PeterC99 thanks so much for the picture of your 425! It's always good to see more representative examples. I'm curious, what specifically do you prefer about the DC skimmers when paired with a CO2 scrubber? I have already purchased my Nyos but I'd like to learn for next time. Further, your sump almost mirrors my anticipated design exactly.

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate the advice!

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all and I especially appreciate the respectful differences of opinion. This is far from science so I love gathering all the perspectives and putting them together so I can make the most informed decision possible.

@PeterC99 thanks so much for the picture of your 425! It's always good to see more representative examples. I'm curious, what specifically do you prefer about the DC skimmers when paired with a CO2 scrubber? I have already purchased my Nyos but I'd like to learn for next time. Further, your sump almost mirrors my anticipated design exactly.

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate the advice!

The protein skimmer airflow is impacted by the CO2 scrubber. Not a great deal but enough that you can find it difficult to skim properly.

Have you used the NYOS before? If not, let me know. Have a few helpful tips.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If new, NYOS can overflow for a couple of weeks to break in. Just take skimmer cup off and let overflow back into sump. This will be true especially if you used epoxy in your rock structures. Mine took 2 1/2 weeks to break in.

Most people over tune their NYOS and try to set bubbles to come to top of skimmer cup. Secret is to set bubbles at the bottom of the cup. Their will be periods when you will get plenty of skimmate and other times nothing. Don’t expect it to be always skimming.

Very important to get NYOS skimmer at proper water height. I built a cheap egg create base. Not sure if you can regulate water levels in your sump. (Mine is an early version RSR425XL Sump).

The skimmer requires patience. Good luck.

OP
OP
C

ClutchCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much Peter, I plan on getting a few ceramic plates so I can fuss around with the height/water level of the skimmer (I've heard similar reports about the necessity for a stand). Is there any reason you think egg crates are a better solution? I'm definitely not set on the plates and can use other forms of bio-filtration.

Good thinking on keeping the bubbles lower in the cup as well. I know a lot of people advocate to leave the skimmer off for a few hours at night, so I imagine this would accomplish a similar effect while preventing overflows.

It is definitely good to know about the overflows while breaking in as well. I don't intend to use a lot (if any) of epoxy but I will be sure to let it overflow into the sump as I'm getting my system dialed in.

Thanks again everyone!

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used egg create, pvc pipe, and zip ties for skimmer stand and refugium. Cheap and easy to build.

What types of lights are you thinking about? I have Radions Xr30 with 3D printed light shades. Very effective, reduces almost all glare, and significantly reduces algae buildup on the glass.

EC9879F6-F77F-4507-9D14-869266A0B8A6.jpeg

Last edited:

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used egg create, pvc pipe, and zip ties for skimmer stand and refugium. Cheap and easy to build.

What types of lights are you thinking about? I have Radions Xr30 with 3D printed light shades. Very effective, reduces almost all glare, and significantly reduces algae buildup on the glass.

EC9879F6-F77F-4507-9D14-869266A0B8A6.jpeg
Peter, where did you get those light shades? Thanks

OP
OP
C

ClutchCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with 2 xr30s and I too love those shades!

What do you do for flow? Is that one MP-40 I see or do you have another hiding somewhere?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back