Filter Socks or Media Cup & Floss

nept2n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently working on a new build and getting close to getting it wet. :D I know that there are tons of threads of filter socks but I wanted to ask,
1. Is there anyone out there using a media cup with filter pads or floss?
2. Is it cheaper than using socks?

I know I would need to have a good supply of socks if I am going to change the sock at least twice a week and wash them once a month. Any good places to get really cheap socks? or good DIY?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I use when I use anything....blue white filter sponge cut into 3" x 24" strips rolled into cone and placed in media cup. Lasts about week (depending - less if I only install for cleaning tank). Amazon has this for about $20 a 2'x6' that'll last me half a year.

IMG_20191226_115703526.jpg

Kresimir_72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stop using socks....too much work on them...every 2-3 days new one, two time on month washing.... Now I have this and it is great...
received_676014619573101.jpeg

Pic from assembling it, here missing on front lower part two holes for water exiting....
On front top go blue filter sponge and on top her white fine filter sponge....
Like this
20200220_172157.jpg

Once a week throw that white filter sponge and put new and once a month clean a bit blue and put it back....
Much cleaner sump, works great....

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I primarily use the IceCap filter media cups and only occasionally use filter socks.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy mine on BRS. They are pretty cheap. The 7" that I buy is normally 7.99 but if you watch for their sales, which are often, you can get them for 5.99.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also only change mine once a week. It's a 7", 16" long sock. And it keeps up with my 125 gallon only being changed once a week. I know some say they have nutrient issues with socks if they don't change them 2 a week. But that has not been my experience. I am actually about to start dosing nitrates because mine are too low

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a filter cup with floss because it's easy to toss but have a few 100 micron socks I use just when I am doing a deep cleaning and stirring the sand and such. I just run them for the day to catch the floaters and then remove. I think they work better than floss for stuff like that.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found out that a 32oz food container or fruit fly cup is 4 1/2" diameter at the top. I drilled holes in the bottom & ran pillow stuffing. I use it to replace eshopps socks. I tried no socks but my sumps getting nastier than I care for.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing socks for about 8 months. A friend of mine who is VERY successful at reefing has Seachem Pond matrix and fiberfill. So, I’m trying it as well.

Using the RedSea cups I fill them with the Pond matrix to just above the slots. Then I add the layer of poly fill. It doesn’t take much fill to do the job. Changing filter media is a breeze. Hand full out, hand full in and done.

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter floss user here as well. Love it, wont ever go back. I do more changes than with I did with socks -- depending on water, feeding, algae scraping -- but its so quick I actually DO IT instead of leaving socks way longer than I should.

Third option is a roller mat, those look to be the best of all worlds :D

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried a bunch of things and I keep going back to socks. Cleaning them every 3 days isn’t a big deal and they work the best imo. When I used a media cup with floss it seemed like the top part of the floss would get dirty really fast and the water would never get to the bottom layers. I was having to mess with it a lot more often than socks.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried a bunch of things and I keep going back to socks. Cleaning them every 3 days isn’t a big deal and they work the best imo. When I used a media cup with floss it seemed like the top part of the floss would get dirty really fast and the water would never get to the bottom layers. I was having to mess with it a lot more often than socks.
Same here, but instead of going back to felt socks I tried mesh socks and love them. They can be cleaned with just running water under the laundry sink, a quick brushing with a scrub brush and dry within an hour and ready to go.

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use filter floss. But honestly, like @LovesDogs_CatsRokay said above about his experience with filter floss, and note that I'm using a large box you can buy for $20 on amazon of polyfill batting, it does clog quickly. I believe this means that it is filtering the water very nicely -- which is excellent. But I am having to throw the floss out and refill it at least every three days. But on the flip side, it is a lot easier, for me, than having a bucket filling up of old filter socks; and over the years, I have at least 20 4" socks.

Also, the feeling of just throwing away the floss feels good and time-efficient.

My biggest issue is around the diameter size of the top rim that holds the cup in place. It seems they're not all created equal. Based on the manufacturer, if the filter cup moves a bit off-center, it will let water creep under the cup and bypass the floss; I'm not talking a lot, but it is annoying.

I've run a Fiji cube sump. And I like that this sump allows me to swap out the filter sock compartment with a flat floss compartment, which I like more.

Anyways, the cleaning of socks is a pain, and I don't miss doing it. And I know my wife does not like it when I use the washing machine to clean them. So, I'm mainly on the side of polyfill batting.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had the same problem. It would get all compressed and the top layers would fill up and then it would just overflow over the top of the tray that holds the socks..

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
primarily floss and occasionally socks when needed after doing water change/scraping glass

OP
OP
nept2n

nept2n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I use when I use anything....blue white filter sponge cut into 3" x 24" strips rolled into cone and placed in media cup. Lasts about week (depending - less if I only install for cleaning tank). Amazon has this for about $20 a 2'x6' that'll last me half a year.

IMG_20191226_115703526.jpg
That looks easy enough I'll check out amazon. thank you

Back