Filtration options for 300L without Sump.

JamieTotten1996

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be setting up a new 300L tank soon but I don’t have a sump with it, what good options do I have for filtration preferably that wont crowd the tank with equipment?

Hind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide a little more detail about the tank? Does it have a rear sump wall section or is this just a 300L glass box?

What type of inhabitants do you intend to keep?

There are many types of externally contained mechanical filtration methods such as hang-on back or canister filters. I would also consider biofiltration such as bacteria additives or perhaps plants? A thicker sand bed will act as an aerobic/semi-anaerobic filter too.

Some of my favorite styles of external filtration units have been with the Aquaclear HangOnBack, super easy to work with. External foam fractionators (skimmers) might be a requirement depending on your water quality needs, however, non-sump (HOB) designs are usually reserved for smaller aquariums.

Let us know what your thinking!

OP
OP
JamieTotten1996

JamieTotten1996

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide a little more detail about the tank? Does it have a rear sump wall section or is this just a 300L glass box?

What type of inhabitants do you intend to keep?

There are many types of externally contained mechanical filtration methods such as hang-on back or canister filters. I would also consider biofiltration such as bacteria additives or perhaps plants? A thicker sand bed will act as an aerobic/semi-anaerobic filter too.

Some of my favorite styles of external filtration units have been with the Aquaclear HangOnBack, super easy to work with. External foam fractionators (skimmers) might be a requirement depending on your water quality needs, however, non-sump (HOB) designs are usually reserved for smaller aquariums.

Let us know what your thinking!
Thanks for the reply, it’s a 300L glass box essentially and no built in sump, I currently have a 128L with LR, two clowns and a couple crabs and snails, ultimately I want to move that tank to the new 300L, in the current 128L I have a built in sump with mechanical filtration that I want to put to use in the new 300L

OP
OP
JamieTotten1996

JamieTotten1996

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, it’s a 300L glass box essentially and no built in sump, I currently have a 128L with LR, two clowns and a couple crabs and snails, ultimately I want to move that tank to the new 300L, in the current 128L I have a built in sump with mechanical filtration that I want to put to use in the new 300L
Also corals I have a zoa, gsp and favia

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you have room for a sump/refugium? They don't have to be in the stand under a DT. Anywhere you can run pluming a sump/refugium can be set up. They can be a floor or more below or above in a room beside or behind or the other side of the house.

As far as setting up a system without any external filtration keep in mind corals since corals are pulling particulate, dissolved organic and inorganic forms of phosphporus and nitrogen they are an essential component of filtration and the arguable the best food for then is fish poop. I'd suggest youu find a copy of Delbeck and SPrung's "The Reef Aquarium" Vol III and read up on natural systems especially Le CHin Eng's methodology using just air pumps fo rwater movement. I lost the tangs in the recent freeze but here's a system that has no external or internal filtration equipment, just some powerheads fo rwater movement:

Elvis

& 16 year old Naso

Old Sea Urchin

World's funniest fish

I'd also recommend this thread and these videos to better understand the role of microbial processes and nutrients in a reef ecosystem:

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas"

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Optical Feedback Loop in Colorful Coral Bleaching

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

Hind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TimFish provided many good links and advice. A sumpless system can def work, however as your experience grows and your equipment demands increase, a sump is a great place to house all the "ugly but cool stuff". If the option is available, a sump is worth the effort to plumb.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back