Filtration question

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I was wondering if I could use 2 f6 canister filters and 2 hob 110s for a 312 gallon 8 ft tank I'm ordering. It will be a fowlr set up, I currently have a 125 with the filters running on that tank and would rather not spend more to set up a sump system although I do hear they are more effective

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi everyone, I was wondering if I could use 2 f6 canister filters and 2 hob 110s for a 312 gallon 8 ft tank I'm ordering. It will be a fowlr set up, I currently have a 125 with the filters running on that tank and would rather not spend more to set up a sump system although I do hear they are more effective
You can but problem you will likely encounter is your filter methods are mechanical filter and you want to have mechanical , biological and chemical to manage proper water quality. The HOB and canisters will polish water and trap particles via the cartridge and media.
Chemical is what traps and breaks down chemical compounds such as feces and uneaten food often accomplished carbon and GFO
Biological is what utilizes the natural process of biological filtration such as use of ceramic nuggets, bio blocks, and microscopic bacteria surfaces.
Ammonia spike may have been very possible and often undetectable after the spike event.
Expect to service the canisters bi-weekly or less and addition of skimmer will help but ideal is to obtain and hang-on overflow and run to a sump.

OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can but problem you will likely encounter is your filter methods are mechanical filter and you want to have mechanical , biological and chemical to manage proper water quality. The HOB and canisters will polish water and trap particles via the cartridge and media.
Chemical is what traps and breaks down chemical compounds such as feces and uneaten food often accomplished carbon and GFO
Biological is what utilizes the natural process of biological filtration such as use of ceramic nuggets, bio blocks, and microscopic bacteria surfaces.
Ammonia spike may have been very possible and often undetectable after the spike event.
Expect to service the canisters bi-weekly or less and addition of skimmer will help but ideal is to obtain and hang-on overflow and run to a sump.
Thank you for the information, I may go to an overflow eventually. I do you seachem pond matrix in my filters, and those carbon packs on my hob filter I was thinking of looking into a good skimmer

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back