Fin Regeneration

Conrad Noto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you list fish you've had who's fin have fully regenerated and those that just healed. Examples: My Majestic Angel's fins grow back when damaged, can't tell at all. My Hippo had tail tip bit when he was small, healed, has grown 4yrs, but tip still gone.

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in this as well. I have a male clownfish with 3 females. You can guess how THAT'S worked out. He got 80% of his tail bitten off and a chunk out of his dorsal. It's been a year and 3 months. Will it EVER grow back??

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish. Darn things would tear their dorsal fins off diving into their holes, constantly. They always grew back. Quickly too.

OP
OP
Conrad Noto

Conrad Noto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in this as well. I have a male clownfish with 3 females. You can guess how THAT'S worked out. He got 80% of his tail bitten off and a chunk out of his dorsal. It's been a year and 3 months. Will it EVER grow back??
I don't know much about clowns except Maroons are nasty, Skunks are great in group with nems and I loved my Tomatoes and Cinnamons ( they were well behaved) Hopefully someone who knows more about clowns will respond.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is determined by how much damage is done. The fins will regenerate to normal unless the fin rays were damaged.

My betta would split it's tail hunting bristle worms when it was small and within a day or two you'd never notice.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recall reading years ago that damage to fins between the rays will regenerate but damage to the ray themselves will not. Anecdotally I have found this to be generally true.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fins are a bit like bird feathers. If you look closely at a feather it's covered in little hairs and these cling together, so you can split them and then bind them together again quickly. It's not the same with fish but if they simply split the fin it sticks together quickly and it's only when damage is done that this might take longer to heal, if it does at all.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 61 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back