Final 2 fish ??

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
red lined are similar to melanurus and need the same requirements, i think, not sure never had them before though

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
red lined are similar to melanurus and need the same requirements, i think, not sure never had them before though

Agreed, and with that considered, depending on the individual, a 40b might be a bit small for either wrasse. My Red-Lined feels on the verge of being too much fish for my 50g some days. She hunts continuously and I feel that she depends on a solid 'pod population to stay out of trouble.

As an alternative wrasse, the Pink Streaked is an awesome fish. Mine hid a lot at first but now settled in swims the whole tank, top to bottom and all around. Maybe not a pest hunter quite on the scale of Halichoeres wrasses but is still always checking the rocks for things to eat, is super peaceful, and has been a great addition to my tank.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep prob too small for any wrasses other than the really small possum wrasses. My leopard wrasse ate all my spirorbids (i think it was her at least) but it is in an 80 gallon tank and does swim around all day pecking at the rocks. Moderately slow growing too but again hard call for one in a 40. I say get multiple different species of snails for the algae.
Just a safer bet for the 40 is to go with an active but smaller tank stunner like a pygmy angelfish, then wait awhile to check how nutrients in the tank are going, if they are fine look into a utility fish like the pink streaked or tanakas wrasse. Obviously there are many options for the 1-2 fish that can go into the tank but reading it looks like the tank is missing a centerpiece fish in the tank rn
I think some wrasses should be fine in a 40

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I LOVE this fish. I have one in my 75 gallon reef tank and he's very sweet. If you like wrasses but are afraid to get one because you have inverts, buy this fish and you'll be very pleased. He loves frozen brine and mysis but doesn't care too much for flake. (Liveaquaria testimony)

OP
OP

40b Starter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, and with that considered, depending on the individual, a 40b might be a bit small for either wrasse. My Red-Lined feels on the verge of being too much fish for my 50g some days. She hunts continuously and I feel that she depends on a solid 'pod population to stay out of trouble.

As an alternative wrasse, the Pink Streaked is an awesome fish. Mine hid a lot at first but now settled in swims the whole tank, top to bottom and all around. Maybe not a pest hunter quite on the scale of Halichoeres wrasses but is still always checking the rocks for things to eat, is super peaceful, and has been a great addition to my tank.
Appreciate the input. Do you have both Red-lined and Pink Streaked in your 50g ?
Have you had trouble with Red-lined?

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the input. Do you have both Red-lined and Pink Streaked in your 50g ?
Have you had trouble with Red-lined?

I do have both and they really are both awesome fish. When I first got the Red-Lined my tank was still pretty young and she did pick on the CUC a bit although to my knowledge never killed any of them...just played with them in a not super nice way. She liked to pop astraeas off the rocks and I caught her throwing them around on occasion, but they always crawled off after. Now that the tank is more mature she never bothers them beyond picking pods off them every now and then. She can be quite high strung (jumped out during a water change once) but gets along with my other fish (2 Clowns, Midas blenny, YWG, Pink Streaked wrasse). A really beautiful and active fish.

OP
OP

40b Starter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have both and they really are both awesome fish. When I first got the Red-Lined my tank was still pretty young and she did pick on the CUC a bit although to my knowledge never killed any of them...just played with them in a not super nice way. She liked to pop astraeas off the rocks and I caught her throwing them around on occasion, but they always crawled off after. Now that the tank is more mature she never bothers them beyond picking pods off them every now and then. She can be quite high strung (jumped out during a water change once) but gets along with my other fish (2 Clowns, Midas blenny, YWG, Pink Streaked wrasse). A really beautiful and active fish.
Thanks again! Greatly appreciate the input.

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you buy a captive bred yellow tang they come quarter size. From what I can gather they grow at varying rates but I would think you could happily keep one for several years.

Attachments

• 20210514_215226.jpg
    20210514_215226.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 23

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar sized tank (see my build thread), and a very similar planned stocking list. I’m curious how the chromis you have does as a single? I’ve been tentatively planning on getting one, but don’t want it to be unhappy or stressed since it is usually schooling fish in the wild.

OP
OP

40b Starter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you buy a captive bred yellow tang they come quarter size. From what I can gather they grow at varying rates but I would think you could happily keep one for several years.
Wow. Almost see through. Always wanted a yellow tang but may wait until I make the tank upgrade.

OP
OP

40b Starter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar sized tank (see my build thread), and a very similar planned stocking list. I’m curious how the chromis you have does as a single? I’ve been tentatively planning on getting one, but don’t want it to be unhappy or stressed since it is usually schooling fish in the wild.
I had planned on 3. One was DOA and the second got some kind of swim bladder infection while in QT. So only one made it to DT. Its been in the tank for one month, but very active. Usually spends time close to the clowns or the blenny. Goes crazy when I add live brine shrimp.

A lot of stories about chromis fighting and eventually ending up with only one left standing anyhow. So maybe this was best and keeps bioload down so I can add other fish.

OP
OP

40b Starter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question
How do your blenny and goby get along in that size tank?
Don’t pay any attention to each other. They set up shop on opposite sides of the tank so maybe not the best of friends?!?

had them together in 10g QT and they stayed pretty close together for first 2 weeks. Saw them get in one little sparring match and the the goby stayed pretty well hidden for the rest of the time in that tank. YWG is half the size of the blenny so not surprising he was the one hiding.

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t pay any attention to each other. They set up shop on opposite sides of the tank so maybe not the best of friends?!?

had them together in 10g QT and they stayed pretty close together for first 2 weeks. Saw them get in one little sparring match and the the goby stayed pretty well hidden for the rest of the time in that tank. YWG is half the size of the blenny so not surprising he was the one hiding.
Super cool. I always figured they were too similar looking to put together in a smaller tank. Thanks for sharing. I am now harboring bad ideas!

deepseabc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree neither the tang or foxface would be a good fit for a 40 gal esp if you're not planning to upgrade for 2x years. Have you looked at the coral beauty, I've never had an aggressive one and they add some pop to a tank without needing too much space. You may look at pairing a goby with a pistol shrimp that is always fun to see.

OP
OP

40b Starter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked out your build thread. Looking good. See flasher wrasse on your stocking list...really cool fish but I haven’t had the best of luck with them.
I have tried two flasher wrasse (McCosker and Carpenter) in my tank. Both made it through QT with no trouble. Both seemed very healthy for the short time I had them. First one got itself stuck in a small cave and died. Thought it was hiding because I could see it’s tail - but no movement for maybe 10 minutes and the hermits went after it. Tried to get it out of rock but already suffocated. Second was out feeding one morning and then disappeared. Guessing my serpent star got him, but never saw it again.
Hopefully this is bad luck and not the norm.

OP
OP

40b Starter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree neither the tang or foxface would be a good fit for a 40 gal esp if you're not planning to upgrade for 2x years. Have you looked at the coral beauty, I've never had an aggressive one and they add some pop to a tank without needing too much space. You may look at pairing a goby with a pistol shrimp that is always fun to see.
Thanks for the response. Knew I was pushing it with tang and foxface so wanted to get some added input. Pistol shrimp is definitely on the list, but want to get a Randalli and having trouble finding one.

Back