Final stocking suggestions

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 gal DT with a 30 gal sump. Coming on a year now. Use NSW. Don't have any mechanical filtration or skimmer. Sump is basically one big macroalgae tank with a hitchiker cushion starfish that has a taste for hammers. Having to dose N and P is at 0.6. So it's a very balanced system that I don't want to upset.

Anyway question is my current stock list is:
2 x Azure Damsel
1 x Orchid Dottyback
2 x Black Ocellaris Clowns
1 x Bangaii Cardinal
1 x yellow striped cardinal
1 x red spot blenny

Everyone is happy and healthy and has their spot. Tried adding a baby coral beauty last but the azures and orchid where not having it. Moved it to my nem tank. Red spot was added after that. They're obviously not the mildest of species so I'm wondering if there's anything j could potentially add or if I should just let it be. Much prefer captive bred but very limited options in Australia

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to keep from adding to the bioload, gobies are a good bet. They produce very little waste.
A shrimp goby and a pistol shrimp (tiger or Randall’s) would make a very fun addition. Or a firefish. Both are very beautiful and very peaceful.
Aurora shrimpgoby:
0B7D0A73-CF69-4FE1-ADA6-DC0C606641FA.jpeg

Red firefish:
AA75796D-80FD-43A9-9FC9-B6281DF888AF.jpeg

Sharp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers for the suggestions. Would love a goby. Blenny not going to take issue with it?
I have had multiple blennies and gobys together with no issue. You could use an acclimation box if you are worried about aggression, I would be more worried about your damsel and dottyback, mine are very mean! I used an acclimation box to introduce a tiny purple tang to a large well established powderblue. I tried without the box and the purple tang nearly died within a couple of hours. 3 days in the box and the powderblue tang didnt even notice when I let the purple tang loose.

Sharp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try a small species of anthias or wrasse - such as a tamarin wrasse or melenarus wrasse, they're relatively small and good looking. Also a flamehawk fish is a good option. Though I will point out that tamarin wrasse and some anthias might need livebrineshrimp for a couple of days before they realise what food in a home aquarium is. I am a new reefer and have done it for multiple anthias and wrasse so dont get putoff by this. But be aware of this before purchase.

Good luck!
Fergus

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back