Finally going "big" - 120G

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by don_chuwish, Aug 26, 2015.

1. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Yesterday I made a small stand, maybe 1.25" tall, for my skimmer. I had some scrap polycarbonate lying around so a few quick cuts and some semi-sloppy Weldon 16 work was all it took. Checked this morning and I have nice dry results. Allowed me to raise the water level a little in the skimmer and return chambers, which was the goal.

ihavecrabs and zachxlutz like this.

2. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Spent some time playing around with Apex programming for creating wave action with my Tunze 6055s. I've never tried much other than playing with that mode directly on the Tunze controllers. Tough to balance the noise level (sounds like someone's phone is vibrating somewhere in the house) with effective wave action. Still experimenting but I had the coral dancing a bit. Hoping to run in that mode for about 6 hours in the middle of the day.
    Also set up my old 250W MH over a future coral QT and got a 15G fish QT set up next to it. Man that MH is no joke, felt like I could heat the garage with it.

[​IMG]

NY_Caveman likes this.
  3. don_chuwish

This guy got added recently. He spent almost a week in QT and did well eating frozen cyclops, but the main reason for the QT time was to get him up to reef tank salinity. LFS was very low so it took many days of small increases. Doing great in the 120G now.
    Dragonet on a dragon:
    IMG_8144.JPG

HolisticBear and NY_Caveman like this.
  4. don_chuwish

Also had 4 new frags from @BoomCorals in QT for a few weeks, under 'old school' 250W metal halide:

IMG_8125.JPG IMG_8131.JPG

The Garf Bonsai actually grew a bit while in there under MH. Now that they're in under my LED & T5 combo we'll see how things go.

hybridazn likes this.
  5. hybridazn

hybridazn Acro killer..... Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter 3RMAS Member R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Great additions! The Mandarin is one of my favorites. I have a target Mandarin but still want to add a nice red Mandarin

6. BoomCorals

BoomCorals www.boomcorals.com R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor Toys For Kids Sponsor

Looking good!

7. ihavecrabs

ihavecrabs Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Nice mandarin. Hopefully he has some pods to hunt in addition to prepared food. These are one of my all time favorite fish!

Also great to see others performing QT on fish and corals!

HolisticBear likes this.
  8. don_chuwish

Thanks, they colored up better than the photos show under the MH and have done well in the DT so far. The Forest Fire and Garf especially look good. Just can't get a decent photo to save my life.

Yes the tank is mature (and large) enough and has been populated with pods, plus has a refugium. Since adding to the tank we see him constantly grazing. Plus, it was either come home with us or live at Petco until some horrible inevitable fate...

9. ihavecrabs

ihavecrabs Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I'm sure he or she appreciates it!

10. don_chuwish

11. don_chuwish

Mandy the Mandarin seems to be doing very well so far. But for all that color she sure spends a lot of time in the shadows!
    Noticed one of my Tunze 6055s wasn't spinning - took it out for a vinegar soak and couldn't even move the impeller with my fingers. After soaking a while I managed to pull it out of the body and clean it up, put back together it's working great again.
    I haven't tested anything in weeks, really need to check on the basics soon but everything seems to be doing well.

NY_Caveman likes this.
  12. don_chuwish

Babysitting my recent SPS additions from @BoomCorals has gotten me back to testing more often.
    (GARF Bonsai color fading)
    And I'm trying out my old metal halide rig. Fun experiment maybe but I really can't see using it long term. It's like having one 250W heater on full time.
    Macro algae in the 'fuge section I made in the sump has done OK, but not great. Some dying off lately, some just kinda surviving instead of thriving. Gonna reduce light duration for a while.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BoomCorals and NY_Caveman like this.
  13. don_chuwish

Just for the fun of it, some photos of various corals taken with a little waterproof camera under T5 (ATI Coral Plus):

P1010294.jpg P1010295.jpg P1010296.jpg P1010297.jpg P1010298.jpg P1010299.jpg P1010300.jpg P1010301.jpg P1010302.jpg P1010303.jpg P1010304.jpg P1010305.jpg P1010306.jpg P1010307.jpg P1010308.jpg P1010310.jpg P1010312.jpg P1010314.jpg P1010315.jpg

HolisticBear, Finatik and NY_Caveman like this.
  14. Finatik

Finatik FINatik about my Tanks ! R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Awesome pictures !!! What camera are you using ?

15. don_chuwish

[​IMG]

Nothing too special, and we’ve had it for years now.

Finatik likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted