Status
Not open for further replies.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, sides and back skinned with 1/2" plywood. The unsupported front beam is where it just wasn't strong enough on the old stand. I can't say for sure, but I'd think for your span the sistered 2x6 approach I used in the new stand should be strong enough. I'd probably add a single 2x4 center brace anyway (edge side out) just cuz now I'm gun shy. Be sure to get kiln dried lumber as true as possible, then if you have the tools & skills, joint and plane to get perfectly straight & square pieces.
It's funny to think my last stand was on a 3/4" plywood box for a 120g.

I'm considering skinning the top 12" of the stand in lieu of sistering a second 2x6. Wondering if this will have the same result.

Fishable

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished reading this whole thread, what an adventure! There is some truly great DIY in this. When i first saw the new cross brace I did get scared though, I think part of you thought it wouldn't be good enough either haha. It was probably a good call with the new tank. Your aesthetic on the build is so spot on, great work!

Fishable

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
I actually thought the brace would be strong enough, but I realized later that it was probably never meant to be an aquarium. 3/8" glass on all sides as compared to the new tank with 1/2" front and back. Complete waste of time & money taking that path.

But still, that trash to treasure transformation of that fake wood trim was incredible. Makes me rethink buying new since I see so many of the wood trim ones on Craigslist for cheap.

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Yes I'd been finding various explanations as well. It was much worse back when I was dosing BRS 2 part. Now I'm using ESV B-Ionic but I still get some soft clumps I can loosen by hand. I'll have to re-evaluate my dosing, but it sure has been keeping Alk and Ca stable at current levels.

I wonder if the advice of stopping all dosing for a few days and restarting would help get things back in line and reduce the precipitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back