Finally going "big" - 120G

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by don_chuwish, Aug 26, 2015.

1. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Thanks! Yes the stairs are great, the builder did an excellent job replicating some ideas we saw on Houzz. We hadn't intended to put the tank under the stairs but in the end it turned out to be the best location.

zachxlutz likes this.

2. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Correct, sides and back skinned with 1/2" plywood. The unsupported front beam is where it just wasn't strong enough on the old stand. I can't say for sure, but I'd think for your span the sistered 2x6 approach I used in the new stand should be strong enough. I'd probably add a single 2x4 center brace anyway (edge side out) just cuz now I'm gun shy. Be sure to get kiln dried lumber as true as possible, then if you have the tools & skills, joint and plane to get perfectly straight & square pieces.

3. ihavecrabs

ihavecrabs Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

It's funny to think my last stand was on a 3/4" plywood box for a 120g.

I'm considering skinning the top 12" of the stand in lieu of sistering a second 2x6. Wondering if this will have the same result.

4. don_chuwish

So with a brand new Red Sea Nitrate Pro test kit (I didn't trust my old one anymore) my NO3 still comes out 0.00ppm. Hanna Phosphate also says 0.00.
    I'm gonna be feeding more and probably adding more fish. I guess the Marine Pure and Seachem Pond Matrix in the sump is really doing it's job!
    I've dosed a little bit of Red Sea Reef Energy A+B and Trace-Colors, but just started so nothing to see just yet. Also working on getting Ca up a bit more, from 350ppm up closer to 420ppm.
    Oh and also sent off my first Triton test sample. Not even thinking of 'going Triton method' but I was just too curious what the test might show.

5. don_chuwish

I have low (40ppm) TDS tap water, so my RO/DI media doesn't need changing often. So seldom in fact that I forget how long they've been in there and what kind of media it was. So when I changed my two carbon stages today, I decided to label the date. Just as I crumpled up and threw away the paper product label... "Lightbulb!!".

IMG_7820.JPG

6. don_chuwish

Continuing the RO/DI theme of the previous post, I finally ordered something I've wanted for over a year. The Auto Flush Kit.

I have low TDS tap water so I went with the 400 mL/min flow restrictor.

[​IMG]

First time I had it running I was amazed how much faster my RO tank was filling. Not having to remember (and inevitably forgetting) to go manually turn the flush valve every once in a while was fantastic. I ordered it during the Black Friday week & saved 15% but wow, I should have pulled the trigger on this a long time ago.

- D

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    Fishable likes this.
  7. Fishable

Fishable Member

I just finished reading this whole thread, what an adventure! There is some truly great DIY in this. When i first saw the new cross brace I did get scared though, I think part of you thought it wouldn't be good enough either haha. It was probably a good call with the new tank. Your aesthetic on the build is so spot on, great work!

8. don_chuwish

Thanks!
    I actually thought the brace would be strong enough, but I realized later that it was probably never meant to be an aquarium. 3/8" glass on all sides as compared to the new tank with 1/2" front and back. Complete waste of time & money taking that path.

Fishable likes this.
  9. Fishable

Fishable Member

But still, that trash to treasure transformation of that fake wood trim was incredible. Makes me rethink buying new since I see so many of the wood trim ones on Craigslist for cheap.

10. don_chuwish

So after feeding much more heavily than I ever thought was ok, and especially target feeding some corals, I finally have some measurable NO3 and PO4. Red Sea Pro NO3 test showed a little under 0.75 and Hanna Phosphorus ULR was 7 ppb, or 0.02ppm.
    Corals are looking quite a bit better too, more color and more 'puffy' overall. My two new corals (got on Thanksgiving weekend) are looking great, a Lobo and a Goni that add a bit more flash to the scene.

IMG_7843.jpg

11. don_chuwish

As a slightly early Christmas present to ourselves, we picked up some new fish last night.

1 x small Ocellaris to replace a fatality
    1 x Wheeler's Shrimp Goby to go with our lonely Candy Stripe Pistol
    2 x Firefish - I've never had them, love the look
    1 x Scribbled Rabbitfish

I really wanted to get two of the Rabbitfish, they were swimming around together so nicely. Kinda wishing already that I'd gone through with it!

LFS had their water at very low salinity, 1.015, so I had to adjust my QT tank down quite a bit. But everyone acclimated well and look good this morning. I'll start slowly raising salinity by topping off with saltwater instead of RO. No medications or treatments yet. I'll let them settle in and observe for a while. I put a small container of sand with a fake decoration in the QT for the Wheeler's, but so far he hasn't found it.

Watching the Rabbitfish change color is both fascinating and alarming at first. Going from mottled gray & dead looking to brightly beautifully colored in just moments.

Wish us luck!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  12. don_chuwish

Everyone in QT is doing well. Might just have to break out the 55g though, the Rabbit and Hippo in the same 29g is a bit much in terms of waste. I now have two Tidal 55s running and do daily water changes, rinsing out the media.
    The Rabbit has picked up a nickname. It sort of evolved to "George". Evolutionary path: Ravenous Rabbit, R.R., George R.R. Martin, George. He just looks like a George.

13. don_chuwish

Recent FTS taken for the "Reef Tank 365" thread. After giving away a lot of Hammer and Frogspawn there is a lot more open space now.

[​IMG]

I still have a bunch of fish in QT, another two weeks at least. All doing well so this tank will get a lot busier soon.

NY_Caveman and Fishable like this.
  14. don_chuwish

Added some macro algae to the little fuge area of my sump today. 3 different types from @AlgaeBarn - Pom Pom Gracilaria, Red Ogo Gracilaria, and Green Ogo Gracilaria. Hoping they grow well enough that I can take small cuttings and feed to the herbivores in the tank once in a while. Might be optimistic but we'll see how it goes! Certainly more fun than growing chaeto.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    zachxlutz likes this.
  15. don_chuwish

Did some testing today and was surprised how much Nitrates have come up. Corals have never looked better so I'm not sweating it much. At least the macro algae will have something to feed on. I think corals have gotten happier since I made some lighting changes as well - reduced the intensity of the R420R LEDs and raised the lights to 14" above the water.
    New lighting schedule is more blue than before:

R420R_Schedule.png

Tests today:
    Alk: 9.8dkh
    Ca: 420ppm
    NO3: 5ppm (above 4 on the Red Sea wheel, but just a bit)
    PO4: 0.02 (7ppm on Hanna ULR)

I have some 'concreting' of my sand bed - especially around the base rock. It's like my rocks are growing. Could become an issue.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  16. zachxlutz

zachxlutz 120 Gallons of FUN R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

17. don_chuwish

Thanks! Yes I'd been finding various explanations as well. It was much worse back when I was dosing BRS 2 part. Now I'm using ESV B-Ionic but I still get some soft clumps I can loosen by hand. I'll have to re-evaluate my dosing, but it sure has been keeping Alk and Ca stable at current levels.

18. zachxlutz

zachxlutz 120 Gallons of FUN R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I wonder if the advice of stopping all dosing for a few days and restarting would help get things back in line and reduce the precipitation.

19. don_chuwish

I'm really liking the Reef Gently AccliMate box I got for Christmas. Today I have one new clown that has cleared QT and my Hippo going back in. Perfect way to do drip acclimation and plus social acclimation once I put the inner box into the tank.

IMG_8099.JPG

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    zachxlutz likes this.
  20. don_chuwish

Last night I was trying to just release the Hippo and keep the little clown in the social acclimation box longer, but the little bugger escaped. The abuse was immediate and intense. The large matron clown was actually grabbing the poor guy by the tail and dragging him around. Lots of vocalizing and tormenting but really no apparent damage. I decided to give him more time in the box though and was lucky enough to re-catch. We'll give it a few more days and see if things calm down. LOVE the social acclimation box though. Here's a video from when they first went in:

ihavecrabs and zachxlutz like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted