Finally going "big" - 120G

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by don_chuwish, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Goran

Goran New Member

Wooow!!! Looking awesome!

don_chuwish likes this.

2. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Grow baby grow!
    April 20:
    IMG_6950.JPG

April 24:
    IMG_6954.JPG

Fishable likes this.
  3. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Thanks!

4. Goran

Goran New Member

How much did you spent a proximate for a build like this? For Tank, stand, plumbing, sump... looking to do the same! :)

679x likes this.
  5. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Super job on this tank!

6. don_chuwish

I couldn't begin to give a complete & accurate answer. I can run down some of the equipment but an endless list of little incidentals (Salt mix, a bottle of this, a bottle of that, food, RO/DI consumables, 2-part, carbon, etc.) really add up too. Never mind equipment from early days that is now used for temporary situations like QT or my recent rebuild.

Much of the equipment was scooped up for less than normal retail, either BRS Black Friday sales or other found deals, used equipment, etc. So I would put my total on the CHEAP end of what's possible for this size tank. So here goes:

Aqueon tank: $360 (expect at least $500, I paid less and used some coral credit)
    40B Tank: $40
    DIY Baffle Kit: $160
    Chaeto Light: $50

DIY Stand Materials (roughly): $200
    Doors & Side panels (cab shop): $250

Maxspect R420R 16K 120W (new): $420
    Maxspect R420R 16K 120W (used): $325

BRS 5 Stage PLUS RO/DI System - 75GPD: $180
    150gpd upgrade: $50
    2nd DI: $40
    RO Container + pump (used): $100
    Mixing Stand Materials: $40

Neptune Apex Lite: $370
    Extra EB8 (used): $80
    VDM (used): $50
    BoB (used): $20

BRS Doser x 2: $112

MarinePure Ceramic Biomedia: $63

BRS Reef Saver Dry Rock, 50lbs: $120

BRS Fiji Dry Live Rock, 30lbs: $90

Vertex Omega 150 Protein Skimmer: $250

BRS GFO & Carbon Reactor – Dual: $42

2 x 300W - Finnex Titanium Heaters: $60

Waveline DC6000 Apex Ready DC Pump: $170

2 x Tunze 6055 Controllable $260

Synergy Reef Overflow - 16 Inch: $170

Tunze ATO: $180

Various Plumbing (roughly): $250

The total (I'm closing my eyes): $4502

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  7. don_chuwish

pH continues to level out nicely since changing my dosing schedule.

upload_2017-4-26_22-28-23.png

Alk & Ca are right about where I want them too, 8.4 and 415.

8. don_chuwish

Dust filter doing its job on the air intake.

[​IMG]

9. AdamNC

AdamNC Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  10. don_chuwish

11. AdamNC

AdamNC Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Whoops nope lol. Was suppose to be in the Tunze Controller giveaway.

Fixed it as best I could.

12. dbg

dbg Member

Hi Don, I just found your build going through some plumbing threads that I had found... your tank is amazing!!! You don't happen to have a step-by-step on how you built that stand, do you?

13. don_chuwish

Sorry for the late reply - either I didn't get a notification or completely missed it.
    Step by step rebuild of the stand starts on post #104 of this thread. I don't go into much detail but hopefully the pics & descriptions help some. I'm lucky in that my father was an avid woodworking hobbyist and tool hoarder. I have a great shop to use.

14. don_chuwish

So it's been about 7 months now since getting the rebuild started up. Everything is working great in terms of systems & equipment. I'm very happy with the overflow & returns, manifold, DC-6000 return pump, Tunze 6055s, skimmer, sump config, etc.
    But other than the corals that have always done well despite me, I haven't had much luck. Fish are fine but I haven't tried to add any in a long time. I lost too many in QT and got gun shy earlier in the year. Same with new coral, a few beautiful SPS frags just withered away. My experiment with a chaeto section in the sump was going pretty well but then the chaeto just started dying off. I don't think my water was dirty enough for it.
    After that I spent a lot of months just letting it run - dosing BRS 2 part, changing filter socks, 30% water change & changing carbon once in a while - not really trying very hard.
    But now I'm back in the mood to play. Testing more often, switched to ESV B-ionic instead of BRS 2-part, and might experiment with Red Sea Trace Colors and Reef Energy. Might even have to order some new fish!

15. zachxlutz

zachxlutz 120 Gallons of FUN R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Have you considered dosing nitrates and/or phosphates to your system? It really sounds like the water is too clean to support SPS/chaeto. The Reef Energy may help but you may end up introducing too much aminos to the system and cause a dino outbreak. I wonder if it would help to start dosing NO3/PO4? How are those levels when you test?

16. don_chuwish

Thanks for the input!
    My PO4 (Hanna) always comes back zero, might need to consider getting the ULR version. I already have a new Red Sea NO3 test kit on the way - I didn't trust my old one always saying 0.00ppm.
    Rather than dosing NO3/PO4 I'll probably just start feeding more. Especially if I get some more fish. But first I really need to be sure I trust the tests.

17. zachxlutz

zachxlutz 120 Gallons of FUN R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Definitely check out the ULR phosphorus colorimeter. It's a real help when dialing in low nutrient numbers.

Feeding more may work to drive up your nutrients but you won't have control of the end result balance. My tank requires maintenance dosing of both NO3 and PO4 occasionally. It's easier to feed consistent and top up the levels as needed. It was a bit scary at first dumping inorganic nutrients in the tank but with time and experience, I'm not worried about it at all. I've only seen good results from dosing up the levels.

18. don_chuwish

Hoping for BRS Black Friday sales on a few things, but mainly the ULR Hanna checker. My new Red Sea NO3 test kit should be arriving today. I've also started doing more research on potential fish additions... feels good to be back in the reefing mood!

19. lolgranny

lolgranny Active Member

Great thread, i will have to say as much as i like your tank i think i like the stairs in your house better!! hahaha! Those things caught my eye immediately!

You did a great job with the build, very clean about everything.

20. ihavecrabs

ihavecrabs Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

So I have to ask (as I have a similar stand build as you but with a slightly larger tank (60x30x20 high @ 156 gallons) and saw your note on deflection!

Did you skin all sides but the unsupported side at the front of the tank.

I have a single 2x6 running the span of the 60" tank minus 6" on each end. Considering skinning the front now myself.

Thanks in advance! I'm going to get back to continuing the read!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    AndyB likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted