Finally going "big" - 120G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much did you spent a proximate for a build like this? For Tank, stand, plumbing, sump... looking to do the same! :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Super job on this tank!

dbg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Don, I just found your build going through some plumbing threads that I had found... your tank is amazing!!! You don't happen to have a step-by-step on how you built that stand, do you?

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's been about 7 months now since getting the rebuild started up. Everything is working great in terms of systems & equipment. I'm very happy with the overflow & returns, manifold, DC-6000 return pump, Tunze 6055s, skimmer, sump config, etc.
But other than the corals that have always done well despite me, I haven't had much luck. Fish are fine but I haven't tried to add any in a long time. I lost too many in QT and got gun shy earlier in the year. Same with new coral, a few beautiful SPS frags just withered away. My experiment with a chaeto section in the sump was going pretty well but then the chaeto just started dying off. I don't think my water was dirty enough for it.
After that I spent a lot of months just letting it run - dosing BRS 2 part, changing filter socks, 30% water change & changing carbon once in a while - not really trying very hard.
But now I'm back in the mood to play. Testing more often, switched to ESV B-ionic instead of BRS 2-part, and might experiment with Red Sea Trace Colors and Reef Energy. Might even have to order some new fish!

Have you considered dosing nitrates and/or phosphates to your system? It really sounds like the water is too clean to support SPS/chaeto. The Reef Energy may help but you may end up introducing too much aminos to the system and cause a dino outbreak. I wonder if it would help to start dosing NO3/PO4? How are those levels when you test?

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input!
My PO4 (Hanna) always comes back zero, might need to consider getting the ULR version. I already have a new Red Sea NO3 test kit on the way - I didn't trust my old one always saying 0.00ppm.
Rather than dosing NO3/PO4 I'll probably just start feeding more. Especially if I get some more fish. But first I really need to be sure I trust the tests.

Definitely check out the ULR phosphorus colorimeter. It's a real help when dialing in low nutrient numbers.

Feeding more may work to drive up your nutrients but you won't have control of the end result balance. My tank requires maintenance dosing of both NO3 and PO4 occasionally. It's easier to feed consistent and top up the levels as needed. It was a bit scary at first dumping inorganic nutrients in the tank but with time and experience, I'm not worried about it at all. I've only seen good results from dosing up the levels.

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread, i will have to say as much as i like your tank i think i like the stairs in your house better!! hahaha! Those things caught my eye immediately!

You did a great job with the build, very clean about everything.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I removed the old tank from the stand I noticed that a small gap, maybe 1/16" had opened between the bottom front of the tank and the stand surface. This tells me that when full, it had deflected down. That probably contributed to the brace failure.
So the new stand has a major change: the unsupported front 'beam' is 2x6 doubled, glued & screwed. Previously it was a single 2x6, but then I had to cut 2" out of it. Reenforcing that with 2x4 wasn't enough. I did some calculations and the new & improved beam is at least 4x as strong as the original. Bottom is a 2x4 ladder with white Formica on top of 1/2" plywood. Sides & back also clad in 1/2" plywood, glued & screwed to the frame. Top is 3/4" plywood with the same white Formica. The 2x4 center support is getting joist hangers at each end.

I'll post some progress photos this weekend.

So I have to ask (as I have a similar stand build as you but with a slightly larger tank (60x30x20 high @ 156 gallons) and saw your note on deflection!

Did you skin all sides but the unsupported side at the front of the tank.

I have a single 2x6 running the span of the 60" tank minus 6" on each end. Considering skinning the front now myself.

Thanks in advance! I'm going to get back to continuing the read!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back