Finally going "big" - 120G

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by don_chuwish, Aug 26, 2015.

1. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

With the help of my strong wife & daughter we were able to get the stand and tank moved into position today. This new tank is way heavier than the old one but they were able to manage one end while I took the other.
    Even though I knew the floor was perfectly level and that I built the stand perfect as well, I was still very relieved to see the top of the stand was level in both directions once in place. I again used cork all around the base, both to protect the wood floor and create a 'gasket' between the floor and stand to keep any spilled water from going under the stand. This idea proved itself once before so I'm sticking with it.
    Hopefully I can get started on rock work tomorrow.

IMG_6890.JPG

2. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Getting it wet finally!
    Water is still a bit murky and I don't have the lights in place so just one teaser photo.
    Most of the sand from the original tank had been sitting in a bucket all this time - so it was smelling pretty awful. LOTS and lots of rinsing with the hose and finally I had the rinse water running clean. Adding a little leftover that was still in the Reefflakes bag made up for what is still being used in holding tanks. I'll probably have to open up my last full bag to get the depth I want.
    I'm going for less rock this time, more open space. I'm not good at planning my rock for coral placement, I just fixate too much on making the rock itself look good. One way or another the corals will find their places.
    I spent 2-3 hours with all my live rock in open air while I figured everything out and then glued in place. Combination of IC-GEL and Tunze coral gum. I really like the Tunze coral gum but sometimes it sets up just a bit too fast. The tank will remain rock & sand only for a while to let the biology settle down a bit.

IMG_6891.JPG

Two Gay Reefers likes this.
  3. anthonywesty

anthonywesty Active Member

Nice build and clean setup

4. don_chuwish

Thanks!
    It's all full now and circulating. Freshly mixed NSW wasn't up to temp so the 2 x 300W heaters are both on, temp slowly climbing. I threw in an extra 150W heater to help speed it up. Water is clearing nicely. Skimmer is overflowing like it was new, since I gave it a good vinegar cleaning weeks ago. I'm just leaving the drain plug out for now.
    Nice to see everything working well!

5. don_chuwish

With the skimmer going wild it was constantly 'piddling' back into the sump. Both annoyingly loud and causing a lot of splash. So I cut a scrap of 1/2" PEX to give the water a better way to go.

IMG_6892.JPG IMG_6895.JPG

FTS without lights on it yet.

fullsizeoutput_39af.jpeg

6. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Looking good!!

don_chuwish likes this.
  7. don_chuwish

Thanks! The more I stare at it and my corals waiting in holding tanks the more I worry about placement. But I'll figure out something.

mdbannister likes this.
  8. don_chuwish

Got a few things moved in today. Almost ready to take down one holding tank. The Blue Ridge coral on the right is something I've had a long time - one of the first coral purchases I made. It has grown steadily over the years but doesn't really fit in this 'scape very well. Not quite sure what I'll do. One other problem is that one of my candy stripe pistol shrimps has made it home. So for now it's gotta be in there.

It'll be a while yet before any fish go in. I have some still in QT and some in another holding tank. I want them to all go in at the same time.
    The list right now is:
    2 x Candy Stripe Pistol shrimps
    1 x Hi-Fin Banded Goby (the other jumped to his death from QT)
    2 x Black & White clownfish
    2 x Ocellaris clownfish
    1 x Sailfin Tang
    1 x Hippo Tang
    1 x Pigmy Yellowtail Angel

IMG_6899.JPG

9. Two Gay Reefers

Two Gay Reefers Member

Really great build so far!

10. don_chuwish

Thanks for checking! So much still to do.

Calibrated pH and Temp probes yesterday. pH was reading high and temp was reading low. 8.03 became 7.88 and 78 became 79.6. Guess I'll save a little juice on heat.
    Gotta start checking Alk & Ca now and tuning in the dosers. Gonna add another doser for Mg too.

11. don_chuwish

One holding tank taken down & cleaned up, plus the blue tote full of rock and one green brittle star. 2 less heaters & pumps going, 2 less to care fore. And much quieter.
    Down to one 29G holding tank, one 55G QT/HT and now the 120G running nicely!
    I have aquarium stuff scattered all over the house though. Gotta start cleaning up, organizing and putting things away. Ugh.

12. don_chuwish

Still not thrilled with the 'scape but getting closer. Had to get two anemones to move off rocks I didn't want in the tank. That finally happened last night.
    As I was re-arranging rocks & coral I managed to snap my large Frogspawn colony into two equal parts. In the end it kinda helped - made it easier to place.
    Skimmer is STILL going crazy, but I remember it took a long time when new too. Just kinda annoying I can't actually pull out any skimmate yet.
    All the non-fish critters are in the 120G DT now.
    The 29G holding tank has some sand & LR plus 4 fish.
    The 55G QT/HT has 4 fish and I'm slowly diluting down the Cu and raising salinity - one 5G water change at a time.
    Eventually I'll put all the fish in at the same time.

13. don_chuwish

Finally got the skimmer to start skimming instead of overflowing today. Just needed to lower the water level a little bit.
    Anemones are wandering all over trying to find their spot. One wasn't looking too good yesterday but seems fine now. They are so weird.
    The extra 4" of height make it tough to get my arm in the tank without a step ladder but it's worth it.

14. don_chuwish

Today all the fish finally went back in. They all seemed to be pleased with the aquascape. Except maybe my oldest pair of clowns - their huge frogspawn colony hideout has been broken apart. Plenty of screaming at the black & white clown neighbors too, a few shots fired but so far no major damage. They'll work it out.
    Hi-Fin banded goby back in it's favorite tunnel & reunited with his buddy shrimp Candy. Every time I introduce or re-introduce gobies & shrimp they disappear in the burrow for a really long time. I think they are having planning sessions, deciding how to remodel the space, working out signs & signals to use, etc. Then they come out and get to work.

15. Fin

Fin Is it wet yet? R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Louisiana Reef Club

Nice build and re-build. I am getting close to finally starting mine - I hope. Some nice inspiration here. Did you ever show a picture of the finished control board? Will be following along...

Popcorn.gif

16. don_chuwish

Thanks! I'm not perfectly happy with how the control board turned out but it works well enough. I'll post some photo updates later - thanks for the reminder!

17. don_chuwish

FTS with the early morning sun on the reef. It doesn't last long enough to worry me and I think it looks cool.

[​IMG]

And a shot of the control board. Some cord cleanup and tweaking yet to do. I should have made the cabinet a little deeper and used larger raceways - getting in there to make any changes is a PITA. Also not enough space for a hinged panel to swing out.

[​IMG]

Lilmatty5dimes and zachxlutz like this.
  18. don_chuwish

Got the BRS dual reactor re-installed & flowing yesterday. I just have both chambers full of carbon for now, no GFO yet. Never needed it previously.
    Spent a lot of time taking down the 29G holding tank & cleaning things up yesterday. So nice to have one less tank running. Cleaned up the 55G QT a little but I'm going to leave it running for now. I'll probably be getting some kind of fish in soon. At least that one's in the garage.

19. don_chuwish

Still dialing in the BRS 2-part dosing. Checked Alk & Ca after a few days and found levels dropping so I've upped the daily amounts. All the fish are doing great. Shrimp & goby have finally decided on a house design and some serious digging & sand placement has begun. Clown fights have stopped and the 3 anemones seem to have found their places - not the best viewing spots unfortunately. Still have one large plating monti that I can't quite find a spot for, it's just sitting on the sand bed for now.

nick1488 likes this.
  20. don_chuwish

Getting close to where I need to be with the dosers. 120ml nightly for both of Ca and Alk. I adjusted the schedule to start dosing at 8pm and stop at 10am. This was after observing the pH graph pattern. Last night was the first time it followed the new schedule and you can see the result:

pH_swing.png

pH dropped a lot less last night than usual.

Last Thursday I put a small clump of chaeto in my new chaeto chamber and added a purple Par38 LED. This light grew chaeto great before and so far it's going well this time too. Already long stringy fronds reaching out everywhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted