Finally going "big" - 120G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It didn't survive QT unfortunately. I think if there's enough natural rock then they'd be OK in a BB tank, it was constantly trying to graze on my plastic stuff in the QT.

Sorry for your loss.

I am building a barebottom and might give a Bicolor Blenny a shot. Your video did a great job conveying their personality.

DaveNJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still using the 40B with the acrylic baffles? Any problems with this setup? I have read how the acrylic baffles can swell with water and crack the glass tank. I have been going back and forth on where to use a premade acrylic baffles or have a glass shop cut up panels. I really like the acrylic sock holders.

DaveNJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas like dirty water. What are your parameters?

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So *maybe* I've figured out what's been causing so much trouble in my tank. I'd been going through everything, checking temp with a reliable analog thermometer, cleaning pH probe and checking against another pH meter, checking my RO water.... recalibrating my refractometer. I found that the refractometer was off a little, making it read low. So after adjusting it I brought the tank salinity down from maybe 37ppt to 35ppt. Didn't think that was enough to cause so much decline though. I sent off an ATI ICP-OES test sample last week, so we'll see what that says.
Then I thought, well, my calibration fluid is pretty old. Best not trust it. I ordered a single use Hanna 35ppt packet along with pH probe calibration fluid. Checking the refractometer with the Hanna fluid I found it reading 30ppt. Yikes. After calibration I checked the tank and found it was at 40ppt! And so was my old calibration fluid of course. (pH probe calibration was fine.)
So I'm thinking that the high salinity may have been causing die off which then was causing increased nitrate and phosphate.
I did a 30G water change with 30ppt water today and will do two more to get back down to 35ppt. Changing 90G in 3-4 days should help with water quality a bit too.
I'm hoping anyway.
I would be careful using the hanna packet with a refractometer. I remember a conversation with Randy for a long time ago talking about the difference in calibration fluids for refractometers and other devices. Before you do anything drastic I would bring your refractometer to a LFS to double check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back