Fin

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

If that’s the case by all means I’m in for the long haul and see how amazing it is going to be. Patience is something more people need to master. :)

I was gonna add that sense your doing dual return pumps like I am, the one that has shortest distance or piping run at a lower speed. The other one with longer pipes run a little faster. It will keep the flow more equal and you will have to run them lower because of the pressure. Too much will just blow sand around (.if you plan on using sand). I’m almost through your thread :). I have to say the attention to detail is amazing, your piping and sump looks so neat.
Thanks. The dual pumps are for redundancy, since the return pump in my old tank would occasionally stop. Both pumps should be dialed back and there are flow sensors on each return line, so I can keep them as even as possible. The SeaSwirls will hopefully add a different aspect to the flow patterns in the tank. There will also be a couple of MP-40s in there. I think I could possibly mimick a washing machine if I wanted to. But hopefully will be able to keep everything dialed back and still have great flow. I can increase the flow as the tank grows in, if needed.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Fin,

I'm following along with your build, but it will take l'll take a few weeks. lol....
I just received my Synergy Reef Shadow Overflow and I'm impressed in the quality and very fast shipping. Our tank will be a in wall 125g, and have tube lighting, close to what you have.

So, your thread will be great to follow, and learn !
Kevin
Welcome to the thread! Thanks for following. I know Synergy is a good manufacturer. They just weren't for me at the time. When I was ready to order my sump, they quit doing custom builds. At the time, I was looking for something to maximize the limited size I had in my stand. I wanted a custom size. Then I tried to get them to make me a longer overflow and they told me they only had the one size, only to come out with a longer one a short time later. I was actually going to get the Synergy and have Felix at Reef Savvy install it, which he agreed to do. But when they declined on a longer overflow and then came out with one only weeks later, I decided to just go with the Reef Savvy Ghost overflow.

Everything good takes time. Patience is the key is what I learned in this hobby lol. In for the long haul. Following along to see all the updates
Welcome and thanks for following along. Patience, on my part, can also be cleverly disguised laziness. :)

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Fin,

I'm following along with your build, but it will take l'll take a few weeks. lol....
I just received my Synergy Reef Shadow Overflow and I'm impressed in the quality and very fast shipping. Our tank will be a in wall 125g, and have tube lighting, close to what you have.

So, your thread will be great to follow, and learn !
Kevin

I Just installed one of these on my new 220 gallon tank. Thou the product i think is made well , I do NOT recommend this on a tank much larger then 100 or so gallons or very deep. There is something about this product that causes a under current (I think its the teeth cutting of the weir) causing the surface water to push debris away from the weir instead of over. I have tried adjusting the water flow every way possible up down changed the pipes in the external box lengths.
I will build a new larger internal box for mine and change that out .
I bought this because i needed one NOW.. This is NOT Knocking the Company its just my opinion with my TANK .

When i change my SUMP Out Hopefully this weekend I will probably end up changing this

Also there is no way to remove and RETURN This product or exchange it as you MUST Glue the Drain pipe to it. I consider this a not a Flow but a SELLING Tactic .

Sorry for posting this WAY OFF TOPIC Post @Fin

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. The dual pumps are for redundancy, since the return pump in my old tank would occasionally stop. Both pumps should be dialed back and there are flow sensors on each return line, so I can keep them as even as possible. The SeaSwirls will hopefully add a different aspect to the flow patterns in the tank. There will also be a couple of MP-40s in there. I think I could possibly mimick a washing machine if I wanted to. But hopefully will be able to keep everything dialed back and still have great flow. I can increase the flow as the tank grows in, if needed.
I have exactly what u are going to have dual sea swirls with two return pumps (I have the 3d printed rca random flow enductors on the end of the swirls as well) and I honestly think I could get away with just that if I wanted too but I have a cor 20 running at 70% and a vectra M1 running at 75% getting roughly 1000 gph together then I have three Mp10’s and two Wavs and it is truly the most random flow I love it and I think u will too.
I recommend the random flow enductors as well it’s a good ad on

I’m still trying to figure out how to ad check valves like u have maby I’ll do it on my upgrade as the holes I drilled to stop the syphon seems like a lot of water is getting shot out instead of going thru the enductors

What return pumps are u going with?

Good luck

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Just installed one of these on my new 220 gallon tank. Thou the product i think is made well , I do NOT recommend this on a tank much larger then 100 or so gallons or very deep. There is something about this product that causes a under current (I think its the teeth cutting of the weir) causing the surface water to push debris away from the weir instead of over. I have tried adjusting the water flow every way possible up down changed the pipes in the external box lengths.
I bought this because i needed one NOW.. This is NOT Knocking the Company its just my opinion with my TANK .

When i change my SUMP Out Hopefully this weekend I will probably end up changing this

Also there is no way to remove and RETURN This product or exchange it as you MUST Glue the Drain pipe to it. I consider this a not a Flow but a SELLING Tactic .

Bummer, what did they say ?
I haven't heard this issue, so I will research more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No worry about staying on topic here. Everyone needs to have something to read, since i don't have many productive updates. :)

Synergy and Reef Savvy (at least) have gone to those injection molded boxes, so you don't have to use bulkheads n the bottom of the outer box. It allows the box to be a little smaller, so the tank can sit closer to the wall. But, once you glue the fittings on, that's it. Felix told me he had an old style Ghost still in stock, so I had him put that on my tank. I have bulkheads in the outer box.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still trying to figure out how to ad check valves like u have maby I’ll do it on my upgrade as the holes I drilled to stop the syphon seems like a lot of water is getting shot out instead of going thru the enductors

What return pumps are u going with?

Good luck
Two Vectra M-1s. I already have those random flow generators on each SeaSwirl. Just can't see them in the pics with the top on.

From a few pages back...

double-pumper3-jpg.764863

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two Vectra M-1s. I already have those random flow generators on each SeaSwirl. Just can't see them in the pics with the top on.

From a few pages back...

double-pumper3-jpg.764863
You will love it I’m getting. About 550 gph with the back pressure of the enductors at 75 % and feeding my carbon

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer, what did they say ?
I haven't heard this issue, so I will research more.
I have never contacted anyone ,I knew in my mind when i was installing there would be a issue just due to the compact size only 16 inch long .i glued it in as i had no other viable means to get my tank going that day. Companies will always over promise and under deliver in the name of profit when it comes to selling retail items.I installed knowing it was not a good fit .also knowing because of a design flaw there is no way to return the product because it requires being glued in.Again for a small tank moving much less water i, thinking its a good but over priced,like most reef stuff but a acceptable solution.Trying really hard to keep this to my issue without bashing the company.they i feel the ratings for this product is hyped up
As said i will reuse it eventually if building a modified weir does not help solve my cloudy tank issues.

thanks Erica the sensible

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never contacted anyone ,I knew in my mind when i was installing there would be a issue just due to the compact size only 16 inch long .i glued it in as i had no other viable means to get my tank going that day. Companies will always over promise and under deliver in the name of profit when it comes to selling retail items.I installed knowing it was not a good fit .also knowing because of a design flaw there is no way to return the product because it requires being glued in.Again for a small tank moving much less water i, thinking its a good but over priced,like most reef stuff but a acceptable solution.Trying really hard to keep this to my issue without bashing the company.they i feel the ratings for this product is hyped up
As said i will reuse it eventually if building a modified weir does not help solve my cloudy tank issues.
thanks Erica the sensible

Hi @Erica-Renee,

I don't want to hijack this thread with this as it's not fair to Fin, but want to address this for you as I feel it should be addressed since you mentioned it. You can also contact us via PM, or email anytime with questions. Also asking on our forum can also get answers when in doubt without hijacking someone elses thread that is not related to our product. . For a 240 gallon tank 1 overflow is on the borderline of maximum limits. If asked we would have recommenced 2 overflows. I also took a look at your build thread and the overflow was not plumbed correctly and you are not getting the maximum flow rate from the overflow. We can assist you with plumbing it correctly if you would like. Just let me know. I just feel that you should contact us for assistance before telling others that our product has design flaws that are untrue. Again I want to help you get this running as it was designed and.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Erica-Renee,

I don't want to hijack this thread with this as it's not fair to Fin, but want to address this for you as I feel it should be addressed since you mentioned it. You can also contact us via PM, or email anytime with questions. Also asking on our forum can also get answers when in doubt without hijacking someone elses thread that is not related to our product. . For a 240 gallon tank 1 overflow is on the borderline of maximum limits. If asked we would have recommenced 2 overflows. I also took a look at your build thread and the overflow was not plumbed correctly and you are not getting the maximum flow rate from the overflow. We can assist you with plumbing it correctly if you would like. Just let me know. I just feel that you should contact us for assistance before telling others that our product has design flaws that are untrue. Again I want to help you get this running as it was designed and.

I agree sorry to @Fin sometimes i type without thinking. I sent a VERY Through replay to you in my thread . And to clarify for under 1.5k flow rate this is a good product .Above that is where the anomaly starts to occur .(water level half way up the weir teeth.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree sorry to @Fin sometimes i type without thinking. I sent a VERY Through replay to you in my thread . And to clarify for under 800 gph flow rate this is a good product .Above that is where the anomaly starts to occur .(water level half way up the weir teeth.

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree sorry to @Fin sometimes i type without thinking. I sent a VERY Through replay to you in my thread . And to clarify for under 1.5k flow rate this is a good product .Above that is where the anomaly starts to occur .(water level half way up the weir teeth.
Thank you and I will have a look for you over there.

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I officially did not win the BRS $20,000 dream tank, so I can now continue with this build. Thank you for your patience. :D

Me neither, but if I win the next billion dollar lottery, I might be able to afford $20,000 myself ?
Na, I feel great for the winner ! How exciting.....

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there any benefit to going with U-tubes instead of straight standpipes for the overflow plumbing, besides less noise? I don't have the space for U-tubes, so I could cut them to fit as you have done, or make it easy with standpipes... unless there is some great benefit to u-tubes?

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there any benefit to going with U-tubes instead of straight standpipes for the overflow plumbing, besides less noise? I don't have the space for U-tubes, so I could cut them to fit as you have done, or make it easy with standpipes... unless there is some great benefit to u-tubes?
This is the first Ghost / Bean Animal overflow that I have used. I did have a DIY Coast to Coast overflow on my old 75 and I used the downturned 90° fittings in that, which made it quieter. I was hoping to help make this overflow as quiet as I could, so I was simply trying to emulate the Synergy overflows, which use the U-Tubes. But, I only have room for one in my outer box. There is bracing in the way of the center drain in the box, which I wanted to use for the secondary drain. So, I will just use the U-Tube on the main drain and straight pipes on the secondary and emergency drains. If I had planned on using the center drain for the emergency, I could have fit two U-Tubes in the box, but I am not redoing my drain plumbing just to accommodate a U-Tube on a secondary drain. I just woke up, so I hope that all made sense. :) Thanks for following...

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got up this morning and decided to tear into my BRS RO/DI filter and install the RO Smart Buddie booster pump. I had it stripped down to the canisters and the brackets. Took everything off and rebuilt it. I never had great water pressure here and it is around 85-90psi now. The first gallon took about 15 minutes after I flushed out the system. I know its a mess. Cabinet testing right now. No leaks. Yay!

Ro Smart Buddie1.jpg
Ro Smart Buddie2.jpg
Ro Smart Buddie3.jpg

Back