Fin

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess Im lucky, we have 90 psi at the faucit
Struggling to get to 50psi here. I caught this little pump on sale. It takes the place of almost all of the do-dads on the filter. Literally replumbed the whole filter. Hopefully correctly. :D

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank one 24" x 24" cube took about 7 months, tank 2 , 8' x 30" x 36" h, and tank 3, 4' x 30" x 27" h ,I think cant remember would have to look at paper work. Ordered October 2014, shipping in two weeks! March 2016 Worth it! They are like a piece of art! I am very pickey with every detail, I can not find a flaw anywhere on this tank! I am thinking about ordering a forth tank 8' x 4' x 15"h frag tank next with a reef savvy sump to go with it. I am sure it will take over 1 year but I am ok with that.
image.jpeg

@T2Play - Very nice tank!! What did you use for your Lighting for this tank and what did you use to hang your canopy from the ceiling? I am getting ready to float my new canopy so I can hide all 3 of my Hydra HD leds but my canopy is 5ft long by 24''

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the thread! Thanks for following. I know Synergy is a good manufacturer. They just weren't for me at the time. When I was ready to order my sump, they quit doing custom builds. At the time, I was looking for something to maximize the limited size I had in my stand. I wanted a custom size. Then I tried to get them to make me a longer overflow and they told me they only had the one size, only to come out with a longer one a short time later. I was actually going to get the Synergy and have Felix at Reef Savvy install it, which he agreed to do. But when they declined on a longer overflow and then came out with one only weeks later, I decided to just go with the Reef Savvy Ghost overflow.

Welcome and thanks for following along. Patience, on my part, can also be cleverly disguised laziness. :)

Fin - I think you will love the Ghost Overflow. It can handle a ton of volume, its thin and sleek and it is dead quiet. It is my choice now and in the future. You won't be disappointed.

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worry about staying on topic here. Everyone needs to have something to read, since i don't have many productive updates. :)

Synergy and Reef Savvy (at least) have gone to those injection molded boxes, so you don't have to use bulkheads n the bottom of the outer box. It allows the box to be a little smaller, so the tank can sit closer to the wall. But, once you glue the fittings on, that's it. Felix told me he had an old style Ghost still in stock, so I had him put that on my tank. I have bulkheads in the outer box.

By fitting do you mean the pipes in the overflow? If so, don't glue them. Just dry fit them in. I adjusted mine slightly and was happy that I could just pop them out.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By fitting do you mean the pipes in the overflow? If so, don't glue them. Just dry fit them in. I adjusted mine slightly and was happy that I could just pop them out.
No, the injection molded overflows (Shadow and the new Ghost) have the connections for the drains made onto the bottom as part of the outer box. No bulkheads. You have to glue the drains to the bottom of the outer box. I wasn't too crazy about that and I got Felix to use one of the old overflows that he had left over, so mine has bulkheads in the bottom. I know to not cement the pipes inside of the overflow. I have the drains plumbed, but I am not entirely happy with the way I did it now and I am considering redoing the drains.

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool - i understand now. Anyway, you will love the Ghost. I have looked at a lot of other overflows and I think Felix got it right. Do you have a shot of your plumbing? Why are you worried you have it wrong?

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool - i understand now. Anyway, you will love the Ghost. I have looked at a lot of other overflows and I think Felix got it right. Do you have a shot of your plumbing? Why are you worried you have it wrong?

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The original Ghost was built by Synergy Reef and then by Next Reef, if my information was correct. Not sure who builds them now. I think they are similar now to the Shadow overflow.

This is a picture of my drains from a bunch of pages back. It has more 90s in it than I would have liked. There are 3 90s in each drain line. I really wish it had 1½" drains and not 1". How much volume do you have running through your overflow?

plumbing_drains1-jpg.760276

From the inside at the sump

plumbingmistake-jpg.759667

Last edited:

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The original Ghost was built by Synergy Reef and then by Next Reef, if my information was correct. Not sure who builds them now. I think they are similar now to the Shadow overflow.

This is a picture of my drains from a bunch of pages back. It has more 90s in it than I would have liked. There are 3 90s in each drain line. I really wish it had 1½" drains and not 1". How much volume do you have running through your overflow?

Got to love blue !!! :cool::cool:

BTW I want those clear valves, are they naturally blue handled or did you have to paint it?

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mine run similarly - 3 90s. 1" pipe. I run a varios 6 at full volume, pushing through 2 3/4" returns. I tried to measure flow using a gallon container, and while the pump can push 1700 GPH, am getting about 800-900 GPH. But I honestly feel like it could easily handle 2x that flow. I think you will be fine.

Beautiful pipes by the way. I love the blue and white

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine run similarly - 3 90s. 1" pipe. I run a varios 6 at full volume, pushing through 2 3/4" returns. I tried to measure flow using a gallon container, and while the pump can push 1700 GPH, am getting about 800-900 GPH. But I honestly feel like it could easily handle 2x that flow. I think you will be fine.

Beautiful pipes by the way. I love the blue and white
I forgot about the 90s inside the stand, so 4 90s on each line.

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will be surprised at how much the 1" pipe can handle at full siphon even with the 90s. There are a few opinions out there when you google 1" drains but I just looked at mine again and I am also running 4 90s. I forgot about the final turn into the sump. What size pump (s) are you running? Mine is DC so I was able to start slow but I quickly ramped it up to 100% as the overflow worked better (more silent). Of course it was a function of dialing it in properly but I was happy to see it could easily handle my pump at max flow. No issues at all, only small trickle coming down the second pipe (which is by design of course with the Bean Animal), and I've never had my emergency drain come into play. I'd test it out before ripping everything back out and starting over.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will be surprised at how much the 1" pipe can handle at full siphon even with the 90s. There are a few opinions out there when you google 1" drains but I just looked at mine again and I am also running 4 90s. I forgot about the final turn into the sump. What size pump (s) are you running? Mine is DC so I was able to start slow but I quickly ramped it up to 100% as the overflow worked better (more silent). Of course it was a function of dialing it in properly but I was happy to see it could easily handle my pump at max flow. No issues at all, only small trickle coming down the second pipe (which is by design of course with the Bean Animal), and I've never had my emergency drain come into play. I'd test it out before ripping everything back out and starting over.
I have two Vectra M1s. One for each 3/4" return. Went with two for redundancy. Both should be dialed back considerably. I think the overflow is rated for 1900 gph, which should be plenty.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah you will be fine. Like I said, my Varios 6 is running 100%. So you should be fine running the dual pumps at 50%-70% with no issues. I like the idea of two pumps. Hmmm, maybe I need to get an Xmas gift for myself.
I also use two ATO pumps. On my old 140, I used two Aqualifters on the same controller (connected with a Y extension cord). Both came on at the same time, so should one fail, the other would pick up the slack. Both of them dumped into the same supply tube above the level of the reservoir, to prevent a siphon emptying the ATO. I have two Avast peristaltic pumps that I am planning on using on the new tank.

Thanks for chiming in and sharing your insight. I have kinda shifted my focus to getting water in my little nano tank, Pirates Reef. It is closer to having water in it and I want to get it cycling soon. It has been sitting even longer and it is time to get it going. Lots of life distractions the past three years. Time to get back to my hobbies.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back