Fin's Reef Savvy 125

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a possibility, I do need new glasses :thinking-face: Everything is looking sharp regardless, I love the Kessil lights on either end, definately one of the advantages to a canopy.

I think the doors should stay off myself, you have done an awesome job of organizing your equipment and making that plumbing nice and neat. Would be a shame to cover it up like @Scratch08 did :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Did you make the tray for the Trident?

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a possibility, I do need new glasses :thinking-face: Everything is looking sharp regardless, I love the Kessil lights on either end, definately one of the advantages to a canopy.

I think the doors should stay off myself, you have done an awesome job of organizing your equipment and making that plumbing nice and neat. Would be a shame to cover it up like @Scratch08 did :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

I do kinda like it without doors. I like to be able keep an eye on everything. The doors were in the flood water also and I really haven’t cleaned them up to check for damage. I think they should be fine though. The canopy door was under the sofa and it went under water. Still straight as an arrow.

I did make the tray that the trident sits in. I made it out of Palight foam PVC board.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do kinda like it without doors. I like to be able keep an eye on everything. The doors were in the flood water also and I really haven’t cleaned them up to check for damage. I think they should be fine though. The canopy door was under the sofa and it went under water. Still straight as an arrow.

I did make the tray that the trident sits in. I made it out of Palight foam PVC board.

I think it looks nice with no doors, but how is it for noise??

And how easy was that to work with?

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it looks nice with no doors, but how is it for noise??

And how easy was that to work with?
Don’t know about noise yet. Still have to add about 30 gallons of water. Hopefully it won’t be an issue. Fingers crossed anyway.

Everything is easily accessible, so I hope it will be easy to work with everything. I can walk behind the tank too, as it sits in a corner like the 140 did. I won’t be able to have a control board on the side of the tank like I had hoped so will have to mount some stuff on the back of the canopy and anywhere else Lee I can find. I have a lot of stuff to mount somewhere.

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have not covered anything…yet… excuse the mess… I’m remodeling the living room

5CE8E742-A03A-4297-A115-BC3673C95B98.jpeg

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t know about noise yet. Still have to add about 30 gallons of water. Hopefully it won’t be an issue. Fingers crossed anyway.

Everything is easily accessible, so I hope it will be easy to work with everything. I can walk behind the tank too, as it sits in a corner like the 140 did. I won’t be able to have a control board on the side of the tank like I had hoped so will have to mount some stuff on the back of the canopy and anywhere else Lee I can find. I have a lot of stuff to mount somewhere.

Gary,
I have an Adaptive Reef controller board if you want one to try out…don’t remember which one I have at the moment, will get some measurements tomorrow afternoon. If you wanna try it out it’s yours. If it doesn’t work for you, just pass it along to someone else.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gary,
I have an Adaptive Reef controller board if you want one to try out…don’t remember which one I have at the moment, will get some measurements tomorrow afternoon. If you wanna try it out it’s yours. If it doesn’t work for you, just pass it along to someone else.
Wow! Thanks for that generous offer, but I have something I am going to try. I bought a shelf at an unfinished furniture store that I want to modify into a standing board on the side of the aquarium. The wife is not thrilled with me right now, but oh well.

04D59D71-D4FB-49E6-868E-C75BA9A1AED3.jpeg

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I got my rear in gear on getting the tank done. My frag collecting nano is out of control! I didn’t mean for this to happen, but the micro frags I was complaining about grew up.
0D864F55-C5B5-4C38-8315-92307DF7B5EF.jpeg

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JoshH I think everyone gave up on me years ago. Ha!
Nonsense! I'm excited to see things coming together for you, finally! You certainly won the longest time with a dry tank challenge :grinning-squinting-face: Unfortunately a lot of the old gang isn't around R2R anymore. I'll be honest I have only JUST started visiting again.

I don't see anything wrong with the shelf, a bit tall for my taste but not bad. Stained the same as the stand I am guessing? Could you cut it in half height wise? Might make it more digestable if it flanked the stand on two sides instead of one?

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I got my rear in gear on getting the tank done. My frag collecting nano is out of control! I didn’t mean for this to happen, but the micro frags I was complaining about grew up.
0D864F55-C5B5-4C38-8315-92307DF7B5EF.jpeg

I L O V E this tank! Always have, my favourite nano:)

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nonsense! I'm excited to see things coming together for you, finally! You certainly won the longest time with a dry tank challenge :grinning-squinting-face: Unfortunately a lot of the old gang isn't around R2R anymore. I'll be honest I have only JUST started visiting again.

I don't see anything wrong with the shelf, a bit tall for my taste but not bad. Stained the same as the stand I am guessing? Could you cut it in half height wise? Might make it more digestable if it flanked the stand on two sides instead of one?
The shelf is high. I need the room though. The shelves are actually an issue, as they firm five small compartments. I think I need more room. I have about decided to build something myself. I might be able to make it a little shorter, but it can only be on that side. I need room to squeeze behind the tank on the left side.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I L O V E this tank! Always have, my favourite nano:)
Thanks. I am glad that I put it back together. I still enjoy it, but I need to get some of that coral out of there. I think ideally, I would like to keep small frags if whatever is in the main tank. If something happens, I can always replace with a new frag. That was the plan anyway. It has dragged on too long and now I have to think out what is in there to make room for more frags. :)

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shelf is high. I need the room though. The shelves are actually an issue, as they firm five small compartments. I think I need more room. I have about decided to build something myself. I might be able to make it a little shorter, but it can only be on that side. I need room to squeeze behind the tank on the left side.

Holy, what are you planning on putting on the shelf? Would you go shorter and wider? Shelf on wheels you can roll out of the way if needed? Lots of options

Thanks. I am glad that I put it back together. I still enjoy it, but I need to get some of that coral out of there. I think ideally, I would like to keep small frags if whatever is in the main tank. If something happens, I can always replace with a new frag. That was the plan anyway. It has dragged on too long and now I have to think out what is in there to make room for more frags. :)

Seems like you have a space issue with just about everything :thinking-face: Looks like once the system is all set up, you have A LOT of trimmingand reorganizing to do!

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy, what are you planning on putting on the shelf? Would you go shorter and wider? Shelf on wheels you can roll out of the way if needed? Lots of options

Seems like you have a space issue with just about everything :thinking-face: Looks like once the system is all set up, you have A LOT of trimmingand reorganizing to do!
Space is always a consideration in my small house. It’s not much, but it is paid for. Part of my retirement plan. No bills other than utilities.

The old tank sat in the same corner for about 12 years. Before, I had most stuff mounted on the back of the canopy. There is just more stuff now.

Thanks for following along. I really only know the old gang that hung out on Katrina’s thread. She has disappeared. Let me know if you have heard from her. I was looking forward to seeing the Miracles tank coke together. Oh well. At least this one WILL be finished.

Yeah, I have a lot of trimming, moving and reorganizing coming up. I have some aiptasia and large bristle worms I need to try to keep out of the “new” tank. I put 8 Berghia in the nano a few months ago but I haven’t seen them since. I guess the bristle worms got them. I will need another Copperband to keep the aiptasia down. I am two for two on Copperbands eating aiptasia, so hope I can get three in a row.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Space is always a consideration in my small house. It’s not much, but it is paid for. Part of my retirement plan. No bills other than utilities.

Big houses are overrated, I'd love to downsize one day and plan to, but that's YEARS down the road.

The old tank sat in the same corner for about 12 years. Before, I had most stuff mounted on the back of the canopy. There is just more stuff now.

Are we talking controllers? Or other things as well?

Thanks for following along. I really only know the old gang that hung out on Katrina’s thread. She has disappeared. Let me know if you have heard from her. I was looking forward to seeing the Miracles tank coke together. Oh well. At least this one WILL be finished.

Any time, yeah her and Brian left after that fiasco on R2R a couple years ago now. She had made a brief appearance a couple months ago. No tank setup, not even sure what happened to it:confused-face: Such a shame really, it would have been an awesome tank. I haven't spoken to most of those that were a part of that thread since TBH.

Yeah, I have a lot of trimming, moving and reorganizing coming up. I have some aiptasia and large bristle worms I need to try to keep out of the “new” tank. I put 8 Berghia in the nano a few months ago but I haven’t seen them since. I guess the bristle worms got them. I will need another Copperband to keep the aiptasia down. I am two for two on Copperbands eating aiptasia, so hope I can get three in a row.

i have an aiptasia issue in my tank as well and haven't yet decided how I am going to tackle it. Doesn't seem like there is an easy solution out there really. A copperband would be awesome, but I don't know how my tang would like that

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About nine days into cycling. Lights only on for pic. Still have a ways to go. Doing fishless cycle for the first time. My 75 and 140 cycled with real Fiji live rock. I did throw a few pieces of Siporax from Pirate’s Reef in this tank also.
A991BB07-23BC-4385-99AA-72BB1D199893.jpeg

3E50C01C-7360-41BE-82EA-DE1DAF3EF0A8.jpeg

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About nine days into cycling. Lights only on for pic. Still have a ways to go. Doing fishless cycle for the first time. My 75 and 140 cycled with real Fiji live rock. I did throw a few pieces of Siporax from Pirate’s Reef in this tank also.
A991BB07-23BC-4385-99AA-72BB1D199893.jpeg

3E50C01C-7360-41BE-82EA-DE1DAF3EF0A8.jpeg

Looking awesome! Pretty jealous of your scape man. I need to do a serious rescape on mine. How is the fishless cycle going? Slow and steady?

And how do you like the "I think" DC pump on your Lifereef?

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking awesome! Pretty jealous of your scape man. I need to do a serious rescape on mine. How is the fishless cycle going? Slow and steady?

And how do you like the "I think" DC pump on your Lifereef?
Not sure I like the fishless cycle. A different approach for me. I will ride it out though. I have seen people say it took six weeks or longer to finish theirs . I am not in a hurry though.

So far, I think the DC E-Flux pump is doing fine on the LifeReef skimmer. They say any pump around 900 gph will power the skimmer. So far, so good.

I like the scape also. The 2 dimensional shot from the front doesn’t really do it Justice.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back