Fire fish schooling

joseph scott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Have two regular fire fish in a 75 gallon for a year so far. They are always together, no other fish chase them, or pick at them. They are housed with 1 large purple tang, maroon clown, male lyretail anthias, valentini pufferfish, canary blenny, yellow watchman goby, flame hawkfish, and a springeri dottyback. All of these fish were put in this tank about the same time, the only fish that was picked on and died was an orchid dottyback that the springeri would not stop picking on. Most aquarists would probably say this group should not work, but every fish is different,and this is very easy going group of fish.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Have two regular fire fish in a 75 gallon for a year so far. They are always together, no other fish chase them, or pick at them. They are housed with 1 large purple tang, maroon clown, male lyretail anthias, valentini pufferfish, canary blenny, yellow watchman goby, flame hawkfish, and a springeri dottyback. All of these fish were put in this tank about the same time, the only fish that was picked on and died was an orchid dottyback that the springeri would not stop picking on. Most aquarists would probably say this group should not work, but every fish is different,and this is very easy going group of fish.

Nice group of fish!

Not typical at all and like you said, each fish is different!

I’m glad it’s working for you!

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It bothers me that the LFS' have been trying to get me to but groups of these fish. I would have had a bloodbath on my hands.

I don't mean this in a nasty way but often lfs advice is somewhat lacking in accuracy (especially if you get a saturday boy) because they are only temporarily looking after a species. I ran a lfs and always kept firefish in groups because they do well together for quite some time and due to lack of space in shop tanks it's often easier than putting them with other more dominant species. I knew they don't do well longterm in groups so always advised singles and explained why but if you didn't know I can see why they would advise groups as they do well initially.
This is why it's so imperative to do your own research, we can't all know everything but profit isn't always the motivation either.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mean this in a nasty way but often lfs advice is somewhat lacking in accuracy (especially if you get a saturday boy) because they are only temporarily looking after a species. I ran a lfs and always kept firefish in groups because they do well together for quite some time and due to lack of space in shop tanks it's often easier than putting them with other more dominant species. I knew they don't do well longterm in groups so always advised singles and explained why but if you didn't know I can see why they would advise groups as they do well initially.
This is why it's so imperative to do your own research, we can't all know everything but profit isn't always the motivation either.
Good insight.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 2.5%
Back