OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my past research came to the conclusion that the Genus Nemateleotris (firefish) are intolerant of each other, the Genus Ptereleotris (dartfish) get along fine. i have 3 zebra dartfish and as mentioned above by mta, they spend all day swimming together in the water column
Would a purple be intolerant of a red?

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience you’ll have the same issues mixing red, purple, exquisite, or helfrichi that you would mixing conspecifics. I like firefish a lot and I once bought many of them because I had frequently seen them grouped together in stores - the group of reds dwindled until settling on one male and one smaller red that is only sort of tolerated by the larger. The exquisite went pretty far out it’s way in a 180 to kill the helfrichi. Lesson learned. No more mixing of firefish. They actually seemed fine at first and got along for a few weeks or a few months but that didn’t last but eventually there was a lot of fighting. One firefish per system unless sold as a bonded pair is the way to go.

I like the groups of zebra darts and they’re easy to keep in a group.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. firefish are not like Garanimals, you cannot mix n match.
That's what I was looking for. I understood that some fish would be aggressive towards other fish who were exactly like themselves, so I was trying to determine if that was the case here. I'm new to this side of the house so I'm trying not to assume that I understand how something works in a reed setting, based on what I learned on the FW side.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was looking for. I understood that some fish would be aggressive towards other fish who were exactly like themselves, so I was trying to determine if that was the case here. I'm new to this side of the house so I'm trying not to assume that I understand how something works in a reed setting, based on what I learned on the FW side.

I’m glad to see someone putting this much effort into getting it right!

It really pays off.

This question was pretty cut and dry.

Many other questions you will come up with will have a gray area, and you will have to decide if it’s worth taking a chance.

And we will be here to give you the best information possible to make decisions.

Mike

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience you’ll have the same issues mixing red, purple, exquisite, or helfrichi that you would mixing conspecifics. I like firefish a lot and I once bought many of them because I had frequently seen them grouped together in stores - the group of reds dwindled until settling on one male and one smaller red that is only sort of tolerated by the larger. The exquisite went pretty far out it’s way in a 180 to kill the helfrichi. Lesson learned. No more mixing of firefish. They actually seemed fine at first and got along for a few weeks or a few months but that didn’t last but eventually there was a lot of fighting. One firefish per system unless sold as a bonded pair is the way to go.

I like the groups of zebra darts and they’re easy to keep in a group.
Thank you for this information. I understand now. Thanks to everyone on this thread.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad to see someone putting this much effort into getting it right!

It really pays off.

This question was pretty cut and dry.

Many other questions you will come up with will have a gray area, and you will have to decide if it’s worth taking a chance.

And we will be here to give you the best information possible to make decisions.

Mike
I'm not in the business of putting fish in a tank, just for them to kill one another because I liked how they looked in the store. I really want to get this right.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It bothers me that the LFS' have been trying to get me to but groups of these fish. I would have had a bloodbath on my hands.
I echo the sentinments pronounced previously that you’re doing well by inquiring about these things.

And yes, eventually they would have taken each other out until one or two remained.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It bothers me that the LFS' have been trying to get me to but groups of these fish. I would have had a bloodbath on my hands.

I hear ya! I always research on here ALOT before I do or buy ANYTHING!

It has really paid off.

I personally like groups or pairs of smaller fish in my tank

I currently have a pair of ocellaris clowns, and wheeler gobies.

And a trio of zebra darts and red lined cardinals and azure damsels.

And many other singles.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya! I always research on here ALOT before I do or buy ANYTHING!

It has really paid off.

I personally like groups or pairs of smaller fish in my tank

I currently have a pair of ocellaris clowns, and wheeler gobies.

And a trio of zebra darts and red lined cardinals and azure damsels.

And many other singles.
I like a bunch of smaller fish too.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my 2 fire fish as my first fish. They were both in the same tank at my LFS. I have had them for 8 months, they always swim together and when the lights turn off they BOLT to sleep together. I have read that one day the other can kill the other one, but as of now they are happily married ;)

A/C or D/C, What’s Your Preference?

• A/C

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • D/C

Votes: 64 64.6%
  • Both

Votes: 19 19.2%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 14 14.1%
Back