Fire fish schooling

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm researching fire fish right now trying to learn if they will school with variants of each other. Like, will red fire fish school with purple ones? Do they school at all? I see a lot of conflicting information in the various forums, so I figured I'd ask here.

Elegance Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish school for protection. They may group together when first placed into an aquarium because they're afraid and nervous. Once they realize no one in the tank is going to eat them, they calm down and spread out. It's hard to obtain the schooling behavior for long in captivity. Maybe small fish like red spot cardinals, but it's really hard to get fire fish to school for long.
Peace
EC

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish school for protection. They may group together when first placed into an aquarium because they're afraid and nervous. Once they realize no one in the tank is going to eat them, they calm down and spread out. It's hard to obtain the schooling behavior for long in captivity. Maybe small fish like red spot cardinals, but it's really hard to get fire fish to school for long.
Peace
EC
Super. My next question is, will they attack each other?

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my exquisite firefish and watchman goby sleep literally next to each other, i have 3 dart fish, they hangout together all day, i bought them as a trio though

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish will not work together long term unless they are a true mated pair. Mated pairs are very difficult to obtain.

Stick with one firefish per tank.
this^^^^^^^^

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems as though some are more more likely to school than others. I have a 90 gallon tank, what are their footprint requirements?

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think there is a perception of firefish schooling because so many petstores have firefish in small tanks. everytime i visit a petco there are 10 firefish in a small tank section, the firefish dont have much of a choice in the matter. as others have mentioned though, they do not school in a normal setting. i see diversden sell them sometimes as pairs but i dont not think they mention the pairs are bonded

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think there is a perception of firefish schooling because so many petstores have firefish in small tanks. everytime i visit a petco there are 10 firefish in a small tank section, the firefish dont have much of a choice in the matter. as others have mentioned though, they do not school in a normal setting. i see diversden sell them sometimes as pairs but i dont not think they mention the pairs are bonded
Makes sense. The LFS folks have been telling me to buy in groups, but I can see now that isn't the best advice. Would a purple and red go at it? How different would they need to be to get along?

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider a trio of zebra barred dartfish.

They will spend most of their time together mid tank, always out and in the water column.

Also, you are not likely to find any group of fish that will shoal in our home aquariums.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider a trio of zebra barred dartfish.

They will spend most of their time together mid tank, always out and in the water column.

Also, you are not likely to find any group of fish that will shoal in our home aquariums.
I want to be sure they don't murder each other.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to be sure they don't murder each other.

Zebra barred dart fish do best in groups. Any size.

They are not firefish, but are shaped similar. They will establish a hierarchy but will not kill each other

I have 3 and a purple firefish.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zebra barred dart fish do best in groups. Any size.

They are not firefish, but are shaped similar. They will establish a hierarchy but will not kill each other

I have 3 and a purple firefish.
I was hoping to have a red or two and a purple along with the zebra dartfish

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish will not work together long term unless they are a true mated pair. Mated pairs are very difficult to obtain.

Stick with one firefish per tank.
I agree. It would take a dozen or more I suspect for this behavior to have a chance of working, and that's a lot of the same fish. I agree, buy a bonded pair or keep them singly.

Most "schooling fish" shoal at best, in captivity.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. It would take a dozen or more I suspect for this behavior to have a chance of working, and that's a lot of the same fish. I agree, buy a bonded pair or keep them singly.

Most "schooling fish" shoal at best, in captivity.
This is a helpful thread

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my past research came to the conclusion that the Genus Nemateleotris (firefish) are intolerant of each other, the Genus Ptereleotris (dartfish) get along fine. i have 3 zebra dartfish and as mentioned above by mta, they spend all day swimming together in the water column

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 50 75.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back