Fire worm or bristle worm?

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rather have lots'o little ones doing their job in keeping the tank clean.

If they are too big for the melanurus to punish it for exposing itself, I get the snake tongs out...
I think my mel is afraid of the (what I 99.9% suspect) fireworms in my tank, lol. (In his defense, they're way bigger than his mouth and they have some nasty bristles that are like needles). Instead of doing his pest-irradication job, he ignores them and spends his time flipping over and unaliving snails.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate bristle worms because of these two. I kept seeing mushrooms with holes eaten through them and a few almost gone. I caught these two eating holes in them one night. So much for bristle worms not eating coral.

1673228100510.png

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate bristle worms because of these two. I kept seeing mushrooms with holes eaten through them and a few almost gone. I caught these two eating holes in them one night. So much for bristle worms not eating coral.

1673228100510.png
There is at least one variety seen in the hobby that does eat coral... But the vast majority don't bother coral at all

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1673228100510.png
Right?! I had a bristleworm (well most likely a fireworm, but alas they're still a bristleworm) eat mushrooms too. Ugh.

OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1673228100510.png
That's the main reason that I'm now on a mission to shrink my bristle worm population. My mushroom which shares a home with the worms constantly looks unhappy now. I've also read there are over 10,000 polychaetes, so I don't believe they can be so simply broken down as bristle worms or fire worms.

I finally caught one of the fat guys. He was only about 6" long, so definitely not the biggest.

Attachments

• PXL_20230106_040406747.jpg
    PXL_20230106_040406747.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 37
  • PXL_20230106_040535548.jpg
    PXL_20230106_040535548.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 34

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the main reason that I'm now on a mission to shrink my bristle worm population. My mushroom which shares a home with the worms constantly looks unhappy now. I've also read there are over 10,000 polychaetes, so I don't believe they can be so simply broken down as bristle worms or fire worms.

I finally caught one of the fat guys. He was only about 6" long, so definitely not the biggest.
I have a 13 gallon tank and I must have hundreds even though I have no fish and don't feed the coral. A few months ago in an effort to get as many out as possible, I took out a rock a little bigger than a softball and dribbled hydrogen peroxide in all the holes. Almost 50 of them came out. Mostly small. I can't even imagine how many must live in the larger rock. I'm sure the softball rock is full of them again by now too.

OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 13 gallon tank and I must have hundreds even though I have no fish and don't feed the coral. A few months ago in an effort to get as many out as possible, I took out a rock a little bigger than a softball and dribbled hydrogen peroxide in all the holes. Almost 50 of them came out. Mostly small. I can't even imagine how many must live in the larger rock. I'm sure the softball rock is full of them again by now too.
I bet you could repeat that process with the softball size rock once a week and significantly reduce the population

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are (obviously) many different types of bristle worms, and all I've had in my display are the ones that basically look like earthworms crossed with centipedes. The bright red, flat ones wider than my finger creep me out!
Here is a recent unit who is now brooding in the septic tank (collected from hte return chamber)

D1A69F28-9010-4742-8DAD-4F1A8154166E.jpeg

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's true - that one looks night and day different though from the worms I have that I'm fairly certain are some sort of fireworm. I've heard you'll definitely know if you brush up against one... I don't want to find out, so I don't touch any rocks in my tank without gloves now lol. All of the worms creep me out regardless - just can't leave them because they do irritate my corals and I know the big one really made my nem mad.

OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's true - that one looks night and day different though from the worms I have that I'm fairly certain are some sort of fireworm. I've heard you'll definitely know if you brush up against one... I don't want to find out, so I don't touch any rocks in my tank without gloves now lol. All of the worms creep me out regardless - just can't leave them because they do irritate my corals and I know the big one really made my nem mad.
Oh yeah, I wasn't arguing that what I have is a fire worm. I believe y'all. The point I was trying to make is I think these guys are different than the normal bristle worms I have seen in the past and people say are beneficial. I think these guys are definitely causing trouble.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, I wasn't arguing that what I have is a fire worm. I believe y'all. The point I was trying to make is I think these guys are different than the normal bristle worms I have seen in the past and people say are beneficial. I think these guys are definitely causing trouble.
Totally agree - I don't know what the ones I have are for SURE, but like you, I DO know for sure they are not the normal good CUC, lol. It's unfortunate that they cause issues, because they're super bold and actually come out during daytime and will go after leftover food like nobody's business (unlike what I hear about the regular harmless bristleworms mostly just coming out at night after lights out to scavenge).

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 94 43.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 72 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 34 15.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back