Firefish breeding

Cwindless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have reason to believe I just saw my firefish breed and deposit eggs under a plug of Zoas I recently purchased. They took turns backing into a small hole in my live rock around the Zoas vibrating their tails in the hole. I didn't want to get to close so not to disturb them but It definitely looked like they were spawning in this hole. Does anyone have any information of this occurring before ? I am not prepared or equipped to raise fry so I'm not gonna try but just curious of often this occurs in captivity. Attached are 2 pics of what appeared to be concerned parents. Not really guarding but concerned when other fish got close to the hole.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415153151.295896.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415153163.230377.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415153151.295896.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415153163.230377.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Info on firefish spawning is sparse to say the least, but the behavior you describe could certainly be just that. Please keep track of any info you can regarding this such as how long they seem to defend the eggs, how frequently they engage in this behavior, whether there are external queues that set it off, etc.

OP
OP
C

Cwindless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gone 12hours at least out the day so I miss a lot of the activity. I am only home for 2 hours before lights out. I have them on a 13hr light cycle. I feed the tank pretty often. Fish flakes in the morning and meaty foods at night when feeding LPS corals and non photosynthetic corals. Last night was the first time I observed it. I can't say they are guarding because they didn't stop fish from getting close just went to check on their hole after the fish got a little distance. Also they did normal behavior that night when lights went off and dove to their normal hide. Will check for more behavior tonight when I get home.

OP
OP
C

Cwindless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only had the tank for 4 months and them second hand from another reefer, so I have no idea how old they are there were originally 3 but one didn't survive the move. They are in a 220g I keep the tank stocked with pods in hopes of maintaining a Mandarin in the future. It is new as far as my care is concerned. I keep regular tank parameters salinity 1.024-1.025. Either way I am excited and will keep you posted!!!

specvjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had spawning pair of Red Fire Fish for a few years. I never attempted to raise them though. The female would become rather girthy gravid with eggs. They'd then disappear under the rock work and a few days later she'd show up skinny again. Lift up the frag plug and find out!

OP
OP
C

Cwindless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never got the chance to. I came home the next day to find the drag plug uprooted and some hermits in the hole. I believe my Sailfin tang saw the eggs and helped himself. It seemed to be as you described though. One really fat and gravid, then the events I described above. Thanks for the reply and info.

mc-cro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a trio of firefish, and one them gets fat every couple of weeks. Unfortunately, they all sleep deep in the rockwork, so no way to see whats going on, but I am fairly certain she's depositing eggs in there somewhere.

OP
OP
C

Cwindless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome so it is fairly common for them to breed. I wonder if anyone has tried raising fry now. I think it is cool that mine did it right in the open.

OP
OP
C

Cwindless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would appear that the firefish are preparing to breed again... The female is getting fat but there really isn't any noticeable courting behavior at all. I feed frozen mysis every other day or every 2 days and flake food daily. I occasionally add dried algae. They are on a 13 hour light cycle and temp is around 77-79 degrees. Will keep you posted for events. Still not prepped to raise young so I will let whatever happens happen. Just excited the tank is so healthy eventhough it is still a new set up for me.

joqubr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
??? about 6 weeks ago both (2) firefish disappeared from my tank - missing the creatures, i went and bought 2 more...
three days ago (5.5 weeks) one of the missing fish is back how cool - i'm wondering if the other missing fish is somewhere in the tank looking after fry??????

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
??? about 6 weeks ago both (2) firefish disappeared from my tank - missing the creatures, i went and bought 2 more...
three days ago (5.5 weeks) one of the missing fish is back how cool - i'm wondering if the other missing fish is somewhere in the tank looking after fry??????
They don't guard fry. Babies go through a planktonic stage.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But they're good at hiding...i thought mine was dead didnt see him for months...finally broke down the tank and he came bolting out of the last rock as i pulled it from the water...apparrently the 6 line had forced him into hiding...he still.lives now in the 120 2 years later...6 line was rehomed...lol

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several fire fish in my 300 gallon. Two are definatly paired up. I am pretty sure they have spawned as well. One will get plump then I will not see them for a few days. They are very prone to jumping so keep your tanks covered.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several fire fish in my 300 gallon. Two are definatly paired up. I am pretty sure they have spawned as well. One will get plump then I will not see them for a few days. They are very prone to jumping so keep your tanks covered.

Interesting. Are they all the same species? Do they fight?

Back