Firefish breeding

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am glad to see this thread. I was curious about my new pair. I was told to get at least 2 at the LFS. I have been told since, not true. I can say this pair was swimming together in a group of 6 at the store. 1 is obviously dominant in my tank. No aggression, the other just hides more and seems to follow the bolder one's signals. Pair? Should I expect violence?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing with firefish is you don't see much obvious aggression, just the twitching/signaling of dorsal pennant.

What percentage of time does the one stay hidden? When both are out, how close are they and how much time do they spend together?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The thing with firefish is you don't see much obvious aggression, just the twitching/signaling of dorsal pennant.

What percentage of time does the one stay hidden? When both are out, how close are they and how much time do they spend together?
They are usually together. They do swim together. It's almost as if one comes out and checks things out first. They usually swim about an inch apart.

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have reason to believe I just saw my firefish breed and deposit eggs under a plug of Zoas I recently purchased. They took turns backing into a small hole in my live rock around the Zoas vibrating their tails in the hole. I didn't want to get to close so not to disturb them but It definitely looked like they were spawning in this hole. Does anyone have any information of this occurring before ? I am not prepared or equipped to raise fry so I'm not gonna try but just curious of often this occurs in captivity. Attached are 2 pics of what appeared to be concerned parents. Not really guarding but concerned when other fish got close to the hole.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415153151.295896.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415153163.230377.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415153151.295896.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415153163.230377.jpg
I saw my two fire fish were breeding last night right after the lights went out. I actually caught some on video - they were in the sand bed away from their home in the live rock. Trying to post a video - not sure if this works

Attachments

• IMG_1865.MOV
    32.6 MB

Coralcrave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw my two fire fish were breeding last night right after the lights went out. I actually caught some on video - they were in the sand bed away from their home in the live rock. Trying to post a video - not sure if this works

want to sell them ?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back