Firefish Nipping Each Other

pal98111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought two firefish (mistake). The smaller of the two has been nipping at the larger who doesn't seem to make any effort to move away. I've read that they don't fight if put in the tank at the same time (which I did). I've also read never to keep two together unless they are a M/F pair. The larger one has started to put his tail (which is looking serrated) out of reach of the smaller one. Do you think a mirror will help distract the smaller one or should I just remove it (probably nearly impossible). I've seen firefish together in tanks looking peaceful beside each other. Apparently, I didn't watch them long enough. Grrrr. Thoughts?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i have 2, and added them in together. they do this occasionally, and the bigger of the two seems to be the more dominant one.

are there any torn fins, or wounds? if not, i wouldn't be too concerned unless the one getting bullied is hiding all the time.

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what to tell you, you will have to get rid of one. Should be easy enough in a 10 gallon. Get the water level low enough and they'll be easy to catch

OP
OP
pal98111

pal98111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what to tell you, you will have to get rid of one. Should be easy enough in a 10 gallon. Get the water level low enough and they'll be easy to
I bought two firefish (mistake). The smaller of the two has been nipping at the larger who doesn't seem to make any effort to move away. I've read that they don't fight if put in the tank at the same time (which I did). I've also read never to keep two together unless they are a M/F pair. The larger one has started to put his tail (which is looking serrated) out of reach of the smaller one. Do you think a mirror will help distract the smaller one or should I just remove it (probably nearly impossible). I've seen firefish together in tanks looking peaceful beside each other. Apparently, I didn't watch them long enough. Grrrr. Thoughts?
The victim died. Not the preferred outcome but problem is solved nonetheless.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back