Firefish sex ID

Dondante

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can you tell? Mine needs a partner. ;)
20190306_211907.jpeg

OP
OP
Dondante

Dondante

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I guess I'll just add a random fire fish for it's partner .

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I guess I'll just add a random fire fish for it's partner .

I would add a different type of fish, firefish in captivity do not do well with more than one unless a true mated pair. One will harass the other till it dies of stress.

OP
OP
Dondante

Dondante

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read conflicting info about that very topic .which is why I wanted opposite sex. Mine stays in the back near his hole. Rarely comes out with the other fish. He doesn't stay in his hole .but near it .gets along with everyone who travels back there. I wouldn't leave either. He has good flow that brings food to him etc .

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read conflicting info about that very topic .which is why I wanted opposite sex. Mine stays in the back near his hole. Rarely comes out with the other fish. He doesn't stay in his hole .but near it .gets along with everyone who travels back there. I wouldn't leave either. He has good flow that brings food to him etc .

Overtime they get more adventurous this took months with mine. He would travel about half the tank when feeding. Never used all of it but was always active and would tell other fish you are too close if needed. My experience with this fish anyway.

Lividfanatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add a different type of fish, firefish in captivity do not do well with more than one unless a true mated pair. One will harass the other till it dies of stress.
I started with three and as you said, one got bullied to death. I must have gotten lucky, because the other two paired up and have been happy since.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no sexual dimorphism in fire fish. Both sexes look identical, any differences between one another are just random individual characteristics.

I once paired some from a tank of about 10 and was lucky enough for them to start breeding so I can confirm there was no sexual dimorphism. In my case I thought I saw a difference when they were all together in the tank but as soon as they were kept separate I quickly realised they looked identical and I just got very lucky.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back