First 75 Gallon Build

zbever

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 22, 2021
Messages
4
Reaction score
2
Location
Mobile, AL
What state or country do you live in
Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I am setting up my first saltwater tank. I hope to make a beautiful reef tank in the future. I am starting with my fish until I can afford to light for my coral dreams. I have been keeping fresh water for over 10 years. Right now I am working with a standard 75 gallon. I am running a 5 stage canister, two power heads, the Aquasky 2.0 light. (I have hopes of upgrading to a 55 gallon sump in the new year. By using a hang on the back overflow box and a drop in kit for an extra tank I have laying around. I also want to upgrade to 2 Kissel a360x tuna blue.) I have currently been obsessing over my stocking list and think I might have finally come to decision. I do need some help with a few decisions. I have 60 lbs of live sand, 40 lbs of live rock, I used Fritz Turbo Start last week with power ammonia to get things started. Please let me know if you think I am overstock, heading in the wrong direction, or which option you think is better!

2 Ocellaris Clowns (one normal and one black and white stripe)
1 Royal Gramma
1 Starry Blenny (Or lawnmower blenny, just thought the starry was nice)
1 Red Hawkfish (Open to suggestions of other hawkfish, but though the red would be a good color in this tank.)
1 Melanurus Wrasse (Or a sixline wrasse. I saw a melanurus in person and thought it was amazing.)
1 One spot Fox Face Rabbitfish (Will be the show piece. Could swap for a dwarf angel but I like that they eat algae.)
5 Zebra Dartfish (I really want a school was thinking chromis but have read a lot of bad things. Anthias is a bit out of my price range)

Need a clean up crew. Open to suggestions on quantity and species.
I also want a watchman and pistol strimp pair. Any suggestions on what might look good in the tank with the above fish?

I know I have a lot of questions but want to make sure I head in the right direction. I have been reading posts on this site since I began my research. I am excited to finally post!
Best Regards,
Zack
 
Impressive list. Only question was on the amount of live rock? It’s typical to do 1-2 lbs per gallon. This gives you plenty of hiding spots and more surface area for corals
 
Impressive list. Only question was on the amount of live rock? It’s typical to do 1-2 lbs per gallon. This gives you plenty of hiding spots and more surface area for corals
Thank you! Yes I need more rock! I bough all the live rock they had at my LFS more should already be there because I bought my rock last month. With the amount of livestock how much rock do you think I need. Can I get away with 75 lbs or should I try and get closer to 140 lbs?
 
75 lbs should be good. If after getting that then add more as you see fit to build your structure.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new