First 75 Gallon Build

zbever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I am setting up my first saltwater tank. I hope to make a beautiful reef tank in the future. I am starting with my fish until I can afford to light for my coral dreams. I have been keeping fresh water for over 10 years. Right now I am working with a standard 75 gallon. I am running a 5 stage canister, two power heads, the Aquasky 2.0 light. (I have hopes of upgrading to a 55 gallon sump in the new year. By using a hang on the back overflow box and a drop in kit for an extra tank I have laying around. I also want to upgrade to 2 Kissel a360x tuna blue.) I have currently been obsessing over my stocking list and think I might have finally come to decision. I do need some help with a few decisions. I have 60 lbs of live sand, 40 lbs of live rock, I used Fritz Turbo Start last week with power ammonia to get things started. Please let me know if you think I am overstock, heading in the wrong direction, or which option you think is better!

2 Ocellaris Clowns (one normal and one black and white stripe)
1 Royal Gramma
1 Starry Blenny (Or lawnmower blenny, just thought the starry was nice)
1 Red Hawkfish (Open to suggestions of other hawkfish, but though the red would be a good color in this tank.)
1 Melanurus Wrasse (Or a sixline wrasse. I saw a melanurus in person and thought it was amazing.)
1 One spot Fox Face Rabbitfish (Will be the show piece. Could swap for a dwarf angel but I like that they eat algae.)
5 Zebra Dartfish (I really want a school was thinking chromis but have read a lot of bad things. Anthias is a bit out of my price range)

Need a clean up crew. Open to suggestions on quantity and species.
I also want a watchman and pistol strimp pair. Any suggestions on what might look good in the tank with the above fish?

I know I have a lot of questions but want to make sure I head in the right direction. I have been reading posts on this site since I began my research. I am excited to finally post!
Best Regards,
Zack

Adrift

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impressive list. Only question was on the amount of live rock? It’s typical to do 1-2 lbs per gallon. This gives you plenty of hiding spots and more surface area for corals

OP
OP
zbever

zbever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impressive list. Only question was on the amount of live rock? It’s typical to do 1-2 lbs per gallon. This gives you plenty of hiding spots and more surface area for corals
Thank you! Yes I need more rock! I bough all the live rock they had at my LFS more should already be there because I bought my rock last month. With the amount of livestock how much rock do you think I need. Can I get away with 75 lbs or should I try and get closer to 140 lbs?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%

Back