OP
OP
Michael Rossi

Michael Rossi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only problem now is that I’m getting to the point where I can just get a new pump with an adjustable flow for the same amount it would cost to re-plumb everything.

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only problem now is that I’m getting to the point where I can just get a new pump with an adjustable flow for the same amount it would cost to re-plumb everything.
My plumbing cost is just about on par with the price of the pump. Although that did include some extra fittings and unions so that I knew I had them if needed.

OP
OP
Michael Rossi

Michael Rossi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. My wife just pointed out that even with the adjustable pump, the flex tubing and how it says a little may still cause some noise. I’d like the experience of plumbing it as well.

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my main purpose. This is my first reef tank but after 30 years doing freshwater I know myself enough that I know I will need the experience for future, bigger, more high tech tanks.

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Didn't realize it would be this difficult to find a 1 inch gate valve locally. Seems like I'm going to need to order it online.

amazon. Got them in a couple of days and they are nice and were cheaper than a fish supply place.
here’s my drain set up too if it helps.

45736E78-31AB-49F5-A734-5564AC2585DA.jpeg

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a durso in the first place seems like a bad idea comparative to other options. That said I work from home and there is someone home 100% of the time at my house so I don't feel too uncomfortable. For me it will be a temporary problem as my wife has given me the go ahead to replace our breakfast bar with a 180. 2 months into the hobby and already planning an upgrade...this may have been a bad idea for my wallet.
I agree on the durso, I have one myself and may eventually redo the plumbing and use both holes for drains, and go over the top for return line. For now I have a sensor that will turn off main pump if the over flow fills too high.
Your worried about the restriction of 90s but putting a valve on your return line to restrict it. Putting a restriction on the return is going to increase the head pressure on the pump which will wear it out faster
Restricting the flow on a centrifugal pump will only cuase the water inside to heat up faster. The restriction of the water doesn't do anything to slow down the rotation of the pump itself. It will not produce any extra mechanical ware on any components.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actual engineer who ran the numbers: if you are creating a JOG, then TWO 90s replaced by TWO 45s does create slightly less back pressure. However, ONE 90 replaced by TWO 45s has almost no impact. it is only when replacing one for one that it matters. Two 45s for one 90 isn’t a savings.

On the topic of pumps, look at the flow chart if you can find them. Some pumps actually run more efficiently with a certain amount of back pressure. This has to do with the impeller and housing geometry. Not all pumps are the same. However, I’ve never seen evidence that adding some restriction to control flow rate slightly has any impact on pump life. Other things like keeping things clean to prevent fouling or damage are more likely to destroy a pump. Back pressure that the pump is designed to work against, not so much.

Happy Reefing.

OP
OP
Michael Rossi

Michael Rossi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@RocketEngineer thank you for the feedback regarding the pump. I think I’ll keep my original plan and not worry about diverting any of the flow back into the sump. I had to order the valve online so I’ll need to wait until next weekend to get the plumbing done.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back