OP
birdman1989

birdman1989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys. Today is the day that I've been waiting for. My lovely wife received the tank today before I got off from work.

6.jpg

Now, by the time I got home, we had apparently received a few other packages...

7.jpg

Here we have the tank, the tank cabinet, both of the 30Gal tanks for my saltwater mixing station, and the 10 tubes of silicone that I need for the aquascape...and some Bulls**t package for my wife. Just kidding hun.

From there I pulled everything into the house and unpacked the boxes. That's when I ran into my first issue...

9.jpg

..the instructions.

10.jpg

11.jpg

Alright, come on @Waterbox Aquariums. Are you serious? These are some of the worst assembly instructions that I've ever seen. There are few enough pieces that I figured it out, but for the price of the unit, you'd at least expect "join A with B using X fitting" not a single picture per step that's vague enough you're left with the "*shrug* I guess that should work."

Okay...rant complete.

These are the only two photos that came out alright during the build. The others were a little blurry.

8.jpg

4.jpg

So with the final cam lock fittings being tightened, the wife and I moved the tank and sump into position.

This @Waterbox Aquariums, is something that I thank you for. The build quality, minus the instructions, is phenomenal. The tank looks great in my room. You have created a product that I look forward to displaying for years to come.

1.jpg

2.jpg
3.jpg

5.jpg

Alright guys. For those that are following me, I thank you for your support and guidance. We decided to stop for the night because we had questions with cleaning the tank from transport, so if you guys have any advice on cleaning a new tank prior to aquascaping please let me know. Tomorrow I hope that I'm able to clean the tank and continue this behemoth of a project.

Clearly, my wife loves me!!

OP
OP
birdman1989

birdman1989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today's progress...

I had a lot of intentions for today, something that I believe every new reefer has, but I ran into a few issues. I'm able to work past them, but they are definitely something that I completely overlooked or didn't realize.

Plumbing was the goal for today. I got home and opened the box, and all that was in it was a bunch of random sized pipes. Alright, come on @Waterbox Aquariums. I don't think I'm incapable of playing detective, but I didn't even have a sheet that showed the layout of which pipe to put where. Thankfully though, I went on Waterbox Aquariums WEBSITE and finally got a reprieve. I hopped on chat and @EmilyXLC was there to help me with all of my questions. What Waterbox lacks in assistance in the box, they more than make up for with the personable and timely response on their website.

After my quick conversation with @EmilyXLC, I was able to finish the plumbing on the 100.3.

20191022_180648.jpg

After that is where I came across the final work stoppage of my evening. If you remember, I went with the EcoTech Marine Vectra S2 DC. It turns out I did not verify the connections with the Waterbox. The flexible hose that came with the tank is too small to fit the ports on the S2.

I continued to open the boxes to verify that I could connect the ATO and the Protein Skimmer as necessary so that I do not have any other setbacks with the rest of this build. The plan for tomorrow is to setup the RO/DI and salt water mixing station so I can start making water to perform the initial cleaning of the tank prior to aquascaping. The wife was able to find a couple of articles about using RO/DI water and a cup of vinegar to clean the tank after shipment that pretty much has us fill the tank with clean water, add the vinegar, let it sit for 24hrs and clean with lint free rags and Magic Erasers. For those that read this, please let me know if this is a bad plan. I really do not want to mess up this beautiful tank.

I'll update you guys with more pictures as soon as I build my RO/DI saltwater mixing station.

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today's progress...

I had a lot of intentions for today, something that I believe every new reefer has, but I ran into a few issues. I'm able to work past them, but they are definitely something that I completely overlooked or didn't realize.

Plumbing was the goal for today. I got home and opened the box, and all that was in it was a bunch of random sized pipes. Alright, come on @Waterbox Aquariums. I don't think I'm incapable of playing detective, but I didn't even have a sheet that showed the layout of which pipe to put where. Thankfully though, I went on Waterbox Aquariums WEBSITE and finally got a reprieve. I hopped on chat and @EmilyXLC was there to help me with all of my questions. What Waterbox lacks in assistance in the box, they more than make up for with the personable and timely response on their website.

After my quick conversation with @EmilyXLC, I was able to finish the plumbing on the 100.3.

20191022_180648.jpg

After that is where I came across the final work stoppage of my evening. If you remember, I went with the EcoTech Marine Vectra S2 DC. It turns out I did not verify the connections with the Waterbox. The flexible hose that came with the tank is too small to fit the ports on the S2.

I continued to open the boxes to verify that I could connect the ATO and the Protein Skimmer as necessary so that I do not have any other setbacks with the rest of this build. The plan for tomorrow is to setup the RO/DI and salt water mixing station so I can start making water to perform the initial cleaning of the tank prior to aquascaping. The wife was able to find a couple of articles about using RO/DI water and a cup of vinegar to clean the tank after shipment that pretty much has us fill the tank with clean water, add the vinegar, let it sit for 24hrs and clean with lint free rags and Magic Erasers. For those that read this, please let me know if this is a bad plan. I really do not want to mess up this beautiful tank.

I'll update you guys with more pictures as soon as I build my RO/DI saltwater mixing station.
Please don’t use magic erasers! It’s mist peoples belief that magic erasers are non abrasive and “magic”, when in reality there is nothing “magic” about them. They are essentially a very fine sandpaper and will eventually scratch/scuff your tank. Please don’t use them!

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys. Today is the day that I've been waiting for. My lovely wife received the tank today before I got off from work.

6.jpg

Now, by the time I got home, we had apparently received a few other packages...

7.jpg

Here we have the tank, the tank cabinet, both of the 30Gal tanks for my saltwater mixing station, and the 10 tubes of silicone that I need for the aquascape...and some Bulls**t package for my wife. Just kidding hun.

From there I pulled everything into the house and unpacked the boxes. That's when I ran into my first issue...

9.jpg

..the instructions.

10.jpg

11.jpg

Alright, come on @Waterbox Aquariums. Are you serious? These are some of the worst assembly instructions that I've ever seen. There are few enough pieces that I figured it out, but for the price of the unit, you'd at least expect "join A with B using X fitting" not a single picture per step that's vague enough you're left with the "*shrug* I guess that should work."

Okay...rant complete.

These are the only two photos that came out alright during the build. The others were a little blurry.

8.jpg

4.jpg

So with the final cam lock fittings being tightened, the wife and I moved the tank and sump into position.

This @Waterbox Aquariums, is something that I thank you for. The build quality, minus the instructions, is phenomenal. The tank looks great in my room. You have created a product that I look forward to displaying for years to come.

1.jpg

2.jpg
3.jpg

5.jpg

Alright guys. For those that are following me, I thank you for your support and guidance. We decided to stop for the night because we had questions with cleaning the tank from transport, so if you guys have any advice on cleaning a new tank prior to aquascaping please let me know. Tomorrow I hope that I'm able to clean the tank and continue this behemoth of a project.

Clearly, my wife loves me!!
Wow, that's a nice tank!!!

OP
OP
birdman1989

birdman1989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don’t use magic erasers! It’s mist peoples belief that magic erasers are non abrasive and “magic”, when in reality there is nothing “magic” about them. They are essentially a very fine sandpaper and will eventually scratch/scuff your tank. Please don’t use them!
I read that they shouldn't be used on acrylic tanks, but that they were safe on glass. Could you please point me in the direction/alternative of what should be used?

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth, I've only ever used tap water and vinegar to clean my tanks followed by a good flush with tap water and wiping up any remaining water with a lint free towel. Ive never had any issues with that before

OP
OP
birdman1989

birdman1989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth, I've only ever used tap water and vinegar to clean my tanks followed by a good flush with tap water and wiping up any remaining water with a lint free towel. Ive never had any issues with that before
Do you completely fill the tank, let it sit and pump it out, or just wipe. I'm coming across many different suggestions.

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you completely fill the tank, let it sit and pump it out, or just wipe. I'm coming across many different suggestions.

I let it sit a while then pump it out. Doing it that way kills two birds with one stone since you're also leak testing the tank at the same time

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great. I’m a little disappointed that tanks is not full of tangs and sps yet. What did you do yesterday? ;Woot Really though looking good.

When you done ship me all the empty equipment boxes. I’ll put them at my front door for my wife to find and tell her I am doing a total redo. Should go over great.

OP
OP
birdman1989

birdman1989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all you peoples. I apologize for the delay in the progression of my tank. I injured myself on my most recent deployment and the physical therapy has rendered me all but useless. However, I am still trying to push on at fast as I can with this project.

For you guys tonight I have my new salt water mixing station. I took the majority of ideas from NPD_289. Thanks for all the help my dude. Right now, we are making water to leak test all the tanks and fill the Waterbox. I'm using a Vectra S2 and 2 30Gal tanks working with the Marine Depot RO/DI unit. The top tank will be the salt water tank, while the bottom tank is the pure DI tank. In the salt water tank, I have the MP10 to be used to circulate the water.

I should, as long as my leg holds up, start aquascaping on Thursday. Wish me luck everyone.
20191028_184910.jpg
20191028_184913.jpg

NPD_289

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all you peoples. I apologize for the delay in the progression of my tank. I injured myself on my most recent deployment and the physical therapy has rendered me all but useless. However, I am still trying to push on at fast as I can with this project.

For you guys tonight I have my new salt water mixing station. I took the majority of ideas from NPD_289. Thanks for all the help my dude. Right now, we are making water to leak test all the tanks and fill the Waterbox. I'm using a Vectra S2 and 2 30Gal tanks working with the Marine Depot RO/DI unit. The top tank will be the salt water tank, while the bottom tank is the pure DI tank. In the salt water tank, I have the MP10 to be used to circulate the water.

I should, as long as my leg holds up, start aquascaping on Thursday. Wish me luck everyone.
20191028_184910.jpg
20191028_184913.jpg
Looks like a solid setup. Like you, I'm recovering from a work related knee injury. Thank you for your service.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back